Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Where In The World is Carmen Spamiago?  (Read 30705 times)

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
Re: Where In The World is Carmen Spamiago?
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2008, 03:01:38 pm »
  • The Mike
Spam was my favorite board because people didn't ignore it;  It was a quick way to have a conversation when I was at home alone.
Would you drop it already? Why don't you spam somewhere else or suck on your thumb and make your own site where you can spam? What's done is done and I don't think Spam will be coming back anytime soon. Stop whining about it and grow up!

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2008, 03:07:50 pm »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
Would you drop it already? Why don't you spam somewhere else or suck on your thumb and make your own site where you can spam? What's done is done and I don't think Spam will be coming back anytime soon. Stop whining about it and grow up!
...That wasn't whining.  It was a statement about why I'm annoyed that spam just up and dissapeared randomly without any sort of announcement.

I'm fine with it being gone now.  Stop jumping off the handle.
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:59 pm »
...That wasn't whining.  It was a statement about why I'm annoyed that spam just up and dissapeared randomly without any sort of announcement.
There was a reason for that, go read the whole topic. It's not neccessarally gone yet either.
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2008, 04:12:01 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
not "Everyone troll and use /b/ memes and ditch what the forum was created for central".

Here we go again with the, IT'S /b/ LOL /b/ EVERYONE IS DOING THINGS FROM /b/.

I hope you do realize that not EVERY SINGLE MEME IS FROM /b/. God damn, how many times do people need to be told to realize. Seriously, it's really getting on my nerves.

Anyways, people shouldn't be forced to visit development and contribute to a site just to visit a certain section, I mean, what if that someone cannot do anything to contribute? What if they have no talent, or no desire to learn, or just simply cannot learn? Then what? Then they are forced to dwell within the boring development community when they just could be having fun in spam.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Pyrazor

PUMP UP DA JAMS!
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2008, 04:52:07 pm »
  • OH LARD IZ PORKCHOP, BUST OUT DA HAPPY SNACKS
So here's an interesting fact

When Spam Existed:
Forum Average Posts Per Day: Roughly 500+

A few days after Spam Removal:
Forum Average Posts Per Day: 375

That's so far over one quarter of the forum's activity coming from spam.

lolwut indeed

I C'Z U
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2008, 05:33:40 pm »
A post is not an adequate reflection of activity in all cases, especially since a post made in spam does not have the preparation that a post made elsewhere has.  It is not that strong of a point to make, and the day itself might have a factor in the number as well in that there are days when people are not on; that, and those who posted in Spam also posted in other areas, it is not so exclusive statistically. 

Anyway, I was let in on some information and the concept presented there seems like a good idea.  I cannot say more than that really, but it makes sense and will not be too inhibiting.  The concept is brilliant in that it serves to be a kind of flood control system and earning rupees is not that difficult, and yet is helpful.  It's a good idea really, you'll be happy with it.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2008, 04:13:30 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
ok, this will seem kind of off-topic at first, but I still think I need to voice my opinion...

----------------------------------------------

I think what's kind of happened is that originally you know we had the whole OOT2D thing and lots of zelda fan game and other development stuff.  That lasted decently 2-3 years.  Problem is that during that time we developed a good community ahd we decently know other people.  But now we've kinda moved past the fan-game part but don't want ZFGC to die out or change or something nor do we want to leave because of this group of people that frequent this site.

Unfortunately that was obviously not the plan for ZFGC, but I think that's what we have now.  A bunch of people that want to kinda "hang out", talk, etc. with each other but can't do it anywhere else because those specific people we're referring to in the first place just aren't there.  Does that make sense?  Yes there are people that want the development part of ZFGC strong again, which isn't a problem, but I think a lot come here just for each other and are afraid of losing "us" and our ways of just plain old friendly interaction.  We're almost more like just a group of friends than a group joined for a purpose or a particular thing.

This is not necessarily a bad thing - in my opinion it's just that we're almost out of our element now.  Even though ZFGC's focus is supposed to be about fan games and stuff, yet again, many of us seem to just want to not lose this "group of friends".  I've never been in a gaming clan before, but I reckon that we're almost more something like that.

Now what's this gotta do with spam?  Well, IMO that was one of the main spots of the "friend-like socializing" that I've described.  Friends commonly are goofy with each other and just kinda "hang out", which IMO was what spam got used for.  Yes there's community speak and Other Discussion, but friends aren't always just discussing things.

-----

So basicly, I think our problem is that ZFGC is now more of a group of friends (maybe even almost like being a clan) than a group interested in a particular area (though we have gaming interests because of ZFGC's roots in development, which supports my clan analogy).  But ZFGC itself is still designed and geared for fan game development, and spam was a (if not THE) main spot that our "group of friends" hung out at.

----------------------------------------------

Now I feel like I'm either COMPLETELY off or right on the spot.  Thoughts?  Flames?  Slaps for utter cluelessness?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:23:37 am by Nintendo Maniac 64 »
ZFGC's resident straight-male kuutsundere
(because just "tsundere" makes people think of "Shana clones" *shivers*)

Fate/stay night-related and other extended music loops:
http://www.youtube.com/user/nintendomaniac64

CPU + iGPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz/1.281v
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
  • My YouTube channel
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2008, 04:37:13 am »
  • Minalien
Why is it that something development related can be canceled, changed, or removed, and it passes over and nobody cares. But remove spam, and the administrators are working against you?

I'm not impressed. It hasn't improved nearly as much as I have been told. Goodbye again.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2008, 04:39:31 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
Why is it that something development related can be canceled, changed, or removed, and it passes over and nobody cares. But remove spam, and the administrators are working against you?

Well, if the theory in my post is correct, it would explain this...

• My YouTube channel

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2008, 04:41:20 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Slaps for utter cluelessness?
One of these.

I think we should all just shut up and make an IF board for spams.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2008, 04:45:15 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
Aw crap, it seems that yet again, my opinion and thinking is COMPLETELY different from everyone else XD  Don't you love mental disorders? :P

(note, I actually DO have a mental disorder, though I'm not saying it's the direct cause of my "different" opinion, but it DOES make the way I think different in general resulting in such differences)

Well, at least I'm sane enough that I recognized the possibility of being completely off.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 04:58:54 am by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2008, 05:14:56 am »
I see your idea Nintendo Maniac 64, but your vision of the community is too limiting.  If this forum were to just to be socially oriented and development was just a tag-along from the past, there is no outreach.  Linguistically I am probably butchering this, but think about it: the idea that users stay here no matter what is not practical to reality.  Users have lives, are busy, etc.  You probably knew this though so sorry if it sounds patronizing.  Development can be used not only to make ourselves look better but it can be used to draw in more users who can develop and will also be a part of the community that people come to know and love.  Take King Mob, for example, he was not that much of a known veteran, but when he came here he made the place better.  Sometimes I wonder if the users here are afraid to meet new people. 

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2008, 05:17:56 am »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Aw crap, it seems that yet again, my opinion and thinking is COMPLETELY different from everyone else XD  Don't you love mental disorders? :P

(note, I actually DO have a mental disorder, though I'm not saying it's the direct cause of my "different" opinion, but it DOES make the way I think different in general resulting in such differences)

like what/
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2008, 05:18:51 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
I see your idea Nintendo Maniac 64, but your vision of the community is too limiting.  If this forum were to just to be socially oriented and development was just a tag-along from the past, there is no outreach.  Linguistically I am probably butchering this, but think about it: the idea that users stay here no matter what is not practical to reality.  Users have lives, are busy, etc.  You probably knew this though so sorry if it sounds patronizing.  Development can be used not only to make ourselves look better but it can be used to draw in more users who can develop and will also be a part of the community that people come to know and love.  Take King Mob, for example, he was not that much of a known veteran, but when he came here he made the place better.  Sometimes I wonder if the users here are afraid to meet new people. 

This is kind of what I was trying to get at.  I was NOT trying to suggest that ZFGC should go "social only", I was only stating what the current situation looks like.  This is also why I was so concerned, because having a foundation of only "socialness" of single group is not exactly very strong...but drifting away from that could be disastrous at the same time.

We're between a rock and a hard place.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:23:04 am by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #134 on: July 23, 2008, 05:25:18 am »
Yeah, I should have been a little more clear.  I understand your critique of how it is mostly a social club now, but I thought that even as such development need not be treated as so separate; using King Mob as an example as he added a lot to this place especially when it really felt dead and as such the community became better because everyone had some worth again.  If people spend a lot of time here just to socialize, it is a little sad because real friends offer more.  The future should be pursued though to escape your critique by using development as a means to increase individual self-worth through contributions to development as well as getting new users who share that goal.

The staff plan that I have seen if realized will do this well, very well.  I am not the kind of person who really praises others ideas a lot, but I cannot stress enough, the idea I have seen is really good, really good. 

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2008, 05:32:32 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
Well, I guess I should say that it's not so much that people don't care about development anymore, they just don't come to ZFGC really looking for it.  But that doesn't mean they won't ignore it, it's just not a constant main focus.

Also, like I said before, like a "group of friends", they aren't always JUST socializing, they do actually talk, discuss, and do things.

Referring to the socializing and having RL friends, the problem is that everyone is unique and you can't really replace them, hence why people may stay in a "social community"-like-thing in the first place, because of the people (which can never truely be replicated)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:39:47 am by Nintendo Maniac 64 »

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2008, 05:39:27 am »
Here's the fan game cycle: we almost always have people new to Game Maker asking for help constantly and producing games that we all know will never make it past the first dungeon. Then they get a little better but they still fail because of lacking time and interest. There's also some great coders who either have a team or talents that could help them finish a game easily, but somehow they don't finish, but rather than say it, they keep telling people that the new demo comes out soon or it's still in the oven and let interest die out on its own, or just let the project disappear and have people talk about how great it could have been. I'm sick of this cycle, so I go elsewhere on the forum. Not saying that Spam should be back or not, but I'm saying I stopped caring about the projects in the beginning of last year.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2008, 05:50:56 am »
Here's the fan game cycle: we almost always have people new to Game Maker asking for help constantly and producing games that we all know will never make it past the first dungeon. Then they get a little better but they still fail because of lacking time and interest. There's also some great coders who either have a team or talents that could help them finish a game easily, but somehow they don't finish, but rather than say it, they keep telling people that the new demo comes out soon or it's still in the oven and let interest die out on its own, or just let the project disappear and have people talk about how great it could have been. I'm sick of this cycle, so I go elsewhere on the forum. Not saying that Spam should be back or not, but I'm saying I stopped caring about the projects in the beginning of last year.

This, only that I quit caring about projects the first year I was here.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Not dead, just a lurker
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2008, 05:58:03 am »
  • ニンテンドーマニアック64
Well, at least those last 2 posts support my theory of people coming to zfgc not specifically for the development. (they don't apply to the "still will randomly come across an interesting project" part of the theory though)

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:07 am »
No, Swiftu himself said he came here for that or at least to be in the atmosphere of it, and then he became bored of it within a year.  In fact, both said they got bored with development, non-development was not their influence for coming here.  The only users that come here for the community are referred to by current users who go here already.  In regard to interesting projects, it helps when more users work on a project because each does less, what they are good at, more gets done, etc. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 1.031 seconds with 78 queries.