Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC styled Dodongo  (Read 6777 times)

Miragos

ᚺᚨᛚᛁᚨ᛫ᚹᛁᛊᚨᛞᚨᚢ᛫ᛟᚱᛁᚾᛁᛋ᛫ᚷᚨᛊᛏᛋ
MC styled Dodongo
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:08:31 pm »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
After hours of work I finally finished a MC styled Dodongo:

But it's not perfect yet. Do you have suggestions what I could improve?

...and yes, I used the MC Gleeok sprite as template for his head.  XD

Edit: I doubled the size of the image, so you can see them better.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:23:41 pm by Miragos »
Current project: Vortex of Height
Spriter of: Oracle of Mystery
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
Re: MC styled Dodongo
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:31:57 pm »
  • Oh.
I'm no artist, and I don't know if Minish Cap does this, but the up sprite's perspective is off compared to the down and left/right ones.
Hm.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:14 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
other then the up sprites, and a little lack of contrast on the shading, I seriously love these sprites and would like to know if I could use them in my game? Credited obviously :]
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Miragos

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 01:17:31 am »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
Sure. You can use them. But this is version 1.0, so I will improve them until they are perfect.  ;)
In my opinion the facing up sprites were the most difficult, because of the perspective. My biggest problem was that there are no enemies of this size in MC. Every enemy being that big is his size high, so the upper part doesn't touch the ground. In the case of the Dodongo he does. So I had big problems with the perspective of the enemy, although I have a lot of experience in MC style spriting. I will try to improve the facing up sprites. At the moment they look a little bit like the Dodongo would climb a wall.  XD

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:27:31 am by Miragos »
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:43:26 am »
Wow, they look good.

I have to agree though that the up sprite looks a bit weird in perspective, but the FSA dodongo does the same. And FSA and MC sprites are very much (not completely) the same in style.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_systems/tlozfsadv/sheet/1027
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:08:44 am »
If you look at the FSA Giant Dodongo (http://www.spriters-resource.com/other_systems/tlozfsadv/sheet/1020) you can also see the wall climb there. It's not the end of the world. And following from the perspective on the Gleeok head, it's natural that you would end with that look.

As it is though, you've one-uped Nintendo, because their Dodongos are flat in side perspective. ;)

One issue I can see in your sprites are the back legs (all directions except down) because they don't move at all when he walks.

On the side views, the curvature of the visible legs seems very round, and I think they could stand to be a little sharper, and maybe even a little closer to the body. On the up and down views, downwards especially, the front legs look sharper anglewise than in the side view, and the back legs are pretty much underneath him, making it look like he's dragging his back end around with large, muscular forearms. This doesn't seem to match the side view, where all four legs appear to be roughly the same length.

So, I would say to make an attempt to find a happy medium between the leg lengths in the vertical views, and to make the leg joints sharper in side view.

It's very impressive so far, by the way. Good job.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:49:36 am »
Fantastic Miragos. I love them. I agree with the comments on the roundness of the legs, but aside from that, and a small degree of critique on the shading, they are amazing. I have been attempting something like this for ages now, and finally we see a master who can bring a MC style dodongo to the table. Love it.
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 09:35:28 pm »
darken it, its way too bright it hurts my eyes

Miragos

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:05 am »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った

One issue I can see in your sprites are the back legs (all directions except down) because they don't move at all when he walks.

On the side views, the curvature of the visible legs seems very round, and I think they could stand to be a little sharper, and maybe even a little closer to the body. On the up and down views, downwards especially, the front legs look sharper anglewise than in the side view, and the back legs are pretty much underneath him, making it look like he's dragging his back end around with large, muscular forearms. This doesn't seem to match the side view, where all four legs appear to be roughly the same length.

So, I would say to make an attempt to find a happy medium between the leg lengths in the vertical views, and to make the leg joints sharper in side view.

It's very impressive so far, by the way. Good job.

Thanks  you.  :o 
This statement helps me really a lot.
I will work them a little bit over in the next few days.
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 03:37:44 pm »
I feel as though the black outline is confusing. I'm loving the colors and shape of it all, but doesn't the black outline kind of start from the bottom in MC? Basically outlining with the light source is hitting the least, I think.

And the up facing sprites are just not working, gotta give it more of an angle.

Miragos

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:45:35 pm »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
Yes, as I said I will try to fix the facing up sprites. In MC the black outlines are mostly used at the top of NPCs. So there is no problem with them. And if you mean the head. I used the MC Gleeok head as template for the sprites and massively edited and recolored them, but the black outlines also were used at the original.
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 59 queries.

anything