Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I got Mario Kart Wii and I generally dislike it :|  (Read 2183 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
So I got Mario Kart Wii and I generally dislike ...
« on: May 22, 2010, 03:48:40 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Maybe it's just me, but does the game seem less skill based than usual? In almost all of the MK games (save DD, never played it.), there are ways to avoid certain disasters, and it was about cutting corners and saving time... This one doesn't seem like that. Seem's like there's less skill involved, and it's more about "getting lucky enough to not get hit by 1 of the overly-abundant powerps".

:| I dislike being able to own MK64 and MKDS, but sucking at MKWii do to a string of 8 kart-stopping powerups in a row. Certain powerups don't even seem to affect the other CPU players at all, especially the Blooper (which is a powerup that messes up the human ability of "seeing the screen")

!@#$% bugs yo >;(

Re: So I got Mario Kart Wii and I generally disl...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:14:48 am »
The main problem I have with MKwii is actually the powerups... they really are overpowered (and luck based) and ESPECIALLY in later modes. It really is a game of luck.

Other than that, I loved it, I was completely surprised (I wasn't expecting much from it when I first played it...)

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:27:20 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I did enjoy the bike mode; reminded me of BS Excite Bike
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 04:39:22 am »
I did enjoy the bike mode; reminded me of BS Excite Bike

Rosalina + Wario Bike = INSTANTWIN

Manly men don't sass. Manly men get in FIGHTS! Fist fights using manly fists!
  • JetDesigns
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 09:10:46 am »
Well Mario Kart Wii is a lot different then its predecessors. Although MKDD also had the problem that the computer could get in a victory shot just mere meters before the finish. But I think they did that to make the game more challenging. Because dominating a race and leaving the computer in the dust sounds cool and great the first 5 races but after that it gets really boring. Cheating AI has been applied to many games. But it is harder to hide with a game like MK, without making the game boring.

The difference with the Wii version is that the focus of evolution was on something different than the usual. In all the previous games it was always about balancing out the single player racing. New tracks with different features, new obstacles balancing the racers and the kart, occasionally a new item. But the controls practically always stayed the same classic setup from the Super Mario Kart times.

With the Wii version the focus was on the new Wii Wheel (I know just a piece of plastic) and on the Online Multiplayer. With the Wii Wheel the controls differ a lot. It is no longer the known classic setup. The controls are optimized for the Wii Wheel and the accuracy and precision of arm movements. The challenge is thus also to get the skill to drive with it. A lot more acrobatics for turbo boosts have been added as well, including the bike option. Also turning the wheel at the right time in the right direction allows a player to get out of a slip (over a banana or something) a lot faster and get back on track. All those little things that require timing and precision is a lot easier for a computer to do. Thus when they are behind you they succeed in those timed events more often then when the computer is in front of you.

The focus of online racing is obvious in the diversity of the karts/bikes and the great number of characters + Mii's. But it is mostly obvious by the new items. And the effects of the old items. The existing items are no longer an impregnable shield. You can't just keep dragging a banana behind you and be protected from all projectiles, or have three shells circling. With the correct timing one can should a hitting shot in between the shells. When hit with a item dropping strike, you don't just drop your items, but you drop them so others can pick them up again. The new items are obviously made for the online multiplayer. The Blooper that smudges a screen, Bullet Bill that auto navigates you safely through a part of the course, a mega mushroom that makes you grow large and be unaffected by your competition and the surface you are driving on. Well like I said earlier timing issues are no problem for a computer, just as much as having your screen smudged or auto navigating a save path.

I suggest you try to master the Wii Wheel and the online multiplayer races. And if you still don't like it, then MK Wii is just not your game.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 10:13:37 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Made some pretty good points, though I have no probs with the Wii wheel <_< I tend to play racing games with racing wheels, so it's all the same to me.

Actually I think I pointed that I pretty much dominate in MK otherwise, but the "luck" aspect vastly overshadowing the skill department in that game is destroying it for me. Too many karts at once + too many break-of-flow items = loss of skill required. The game's based purely on luck.

You can cut every corner in the game, drive beautifully to the finish, but in the end of it, the only thing that matters is that the CPU acts on random draws of cards, and if they get a good hand (with that many items and CPU opponents, it's going to happen every time they get a ? block), they're going to ruin your chances of winning.

You figure 12 racers, about 5 of them get a ? block every time there's a group of them. Each level has about 3 groups of ? blocks in each lap. That's 15 items circulating between your CPU opponents.

There are 19 items...

12 of which are kart stopping items. You figure that if they're getting approximately 15 items per lap, with a potential of 12 being direct attacks, while the remaining 7 being speed boosting abilities (counting lightning bolt, since it slows everyone else), you'd be better off having a race with no items, setting up a brick wall, and driving into it for 30 seconds while everyone else drives ahead of you.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:32 am »
I never said it is fair and it is pretty obvious there is some cheating going on with the computer opponents. And it is even worse with those ? blocks. Due to the rate they respawn it is more likely that about 8 or 9 drivers get a ? from each group thus 9 drivers over 3 groups is about 27 stops you can get up your ass.

And you are also right to say that a lot of it is luck. What I can grasp is that each time you hit a ? a random number is generated. Then depending on your place an item package is picked and the value of the random number determines the item from the package. Thus it becomes a lottery system. Also it is your position in the rankings that determine the item package and not the distance from other drivers. You can be in 4th place and just 1m away of the 1st and you get the same item as when you are half a lap away. With the AI the random is not that random, still somewhat random, but the final result is somewhat altered to make it less random. Don't quote me on this though, because that is what I can grasp from observations.

The best strategy that actually requires skill; is to stay in 4th or 3rd throughout the race, keep the group together, don't let an AI get to far ahead. Then in the last stretch you get some shells and blast the competition away and take the 1st place before the finish.

But that is why I said you should play the multiplayer. Every racer has the same luck and no cheating is done. You still have the lottery luck of the random generated numbers but it is more equally divided. Oh the good times I had with friends playing multiplayer and shouting the most heinous cursenames to each other in good fun, when someone gets a lucky draw of the lottery. What fun we had.  XD XD XD

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 12:07:35 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Online is always good :P

In fact; Tatsunoko vs Capcom isn't so great, but online it's AMAAAZZZINNNGGG :p

*glares at Kuraszune ?;3*

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:33:40 pm »
  • b e p i s
I think it's a fun game with friends, but single-player blows really hard, unlike the other Mario Kart games.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:42:42 pm »
There is a lot more luck in it, but I did enjoy it more than Double Dash because of how gimmicky the whole thing felt. My favorite is and has always been Mario Kart 64. !@#$%'s amazing. MK Wii is still pretty fun if you play with friends like Dantz said. It's especially fun if you play with a female who enjoys video games but is not habitually a gamer. They tend to scream a lot, it's kind of hilarious.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:47 pm »
It's especially fun if you play with a female who enjoys video games but is not habitually a gamer. They tend to scream a lot, it's kind of hilarious.
Trust me you don't need to be female to scream a lot. Just getting immersed in the game.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:21:56 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Yeah, I didn't like MKWii because it felt too random...Never gonna top MK64, though MKDS was pretty good still ^^

It's especially fun if you play with a female who enjoys video games but is not habitually a gamer. They tend to scream a lot, it's kind of hilarious.
Trust me you don't need to be female to scream a lot. Just getting immersed in the game.

There is a double entendre in there just waiting to come out...
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 09:41:06 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I seem to be the only one in the world that loves MK:DD. MY Favourite Mario Kart, although I love MK:DS for its portability.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 06:30:32 am »
My favorite is still Mario Kart 64. But the Mario Kart series is just like the Zelda series. No matter which MK game you have they are still a lot better than many other games on the same console/handheld. They have always been awarded with high scores.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 62 queries.

anything