Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Universe *Potential Spoilers*  (Read 1272 times)

Phantasy Star Universe *Potential Spoilers*
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:40 am »
Well, I needed something to occupy my brain a bit.  I start orientation tomorrow and, to be honest, have been nervous about college.
So, to get my mind off edge, I was putting together a container of stuff going with me.  Stuff like my 360, pc games, DVDs, books, etc.
I found Phantasy Star Universe for PC in my Civilization Chronicles(special edition had Civ 1-4)case.  It never would work at all for me.  Well, on a whim after four years of having the disc and book(yes, I have had it since 2006, lol), I decided to try again.  Of course it did not work but I decided to see what the net said.
After a few minutes, I was up and running.

About the game:
Actually was not that bad.  The graphics seem like a direct port from the PS2 version based on some screens.  i am running the game and the highest setting and still see alot of ugly pixelated textures.

The control system and menu took maybe half hour to get used to.  Not really that bad though for playing Single Player, it should pause the game while you are in the main menu.

Voice acting was...humorous.  Yeah, it was bad, but I enjoy bad English voices in anime-influenced games if the only alternative that i see is text.

Music was alright, albeit repetitive.  Cutscenes had good music, whereas the missions recycled music 4-5 times.

The story*sigh*
Well, the story was decent.  In the end, the final boss was a joke and the end did not justify the 20 hours I dumped into the game.  The story should have gone deeper, but then maybe I think that since I have watched alot of anime, read alot of books, played alot of story intensive games, etc and so on.  I feel if they would have worked on it a bit more, it would have had more potential to be a AA story instead of B quality.

The only things that really pissed me off the entire time was boss fights that are annoyingly long but yet the game says you should beat them in like 2 minutes.  Stupid...
That and network mode is offline for PC/PS2.  I wouldn't mind messing with the online a bit as I never played PSO (or any other PStar game for that matter).  I checked and they took 'em down in March.  So, if I wanted to badly enough, I could go buy the 360 version but :P.

All in all, wasn't a bad game.  i think i paid maybe $30 for it 4 years ago. 
I am thinking of D/L PStar Portable and Portable 2 since they deal with the PSU timeline.  They got good reviews.  Just hope they are available for D/L as I only have a PSPgo now.

Anyway, anyone else get a chance to play/beat PSU?
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Phantasy Star Universe *Potential Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:21 am »
I've played part of Phantasy Star IV, which I consider to be a thoroughly terrible game. With all the "engrish", shortened spell names, and awkward cutscenes, it's enough to make me exit the game in disgust. Which is, yeah, exactly why I didn't play through it all the way. If Phantasy Star Universe is anything similar, I'd rather stay away from it altogether.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:47:54 am »
I've played part of Phantasy Star IV, which I consider to be a thoroughly terrible game. With all the "engrish", shortened spell names, and awkward cutscenes, it's enough to make me exit the game in disgust. Which is, yeah, exactly why I didn't play through it all the way. If Phantasy Star Universe is anything similar, I'd rather stay away from it altogether.
Never noticed any shortened names nor bad English.
The voice overs are just...awkward.  Typical subpar voice acting so there are weird pauses in the sentence where you know the voice actor was trying to show some emphasis but just picked a bad moment to do so. 
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »
The voice overs are just...awkward.  Typical subpar voice acting so there are weird pauses in the sentence where you know the voice actor was trying to show some emphasis but just picked a bad moment to do so.
Is that a problem with the voice actor or a problem with the people explaining what the voice actors should say/do? Seems like some kind of problem in communication to me. I know I'd certainly stop a person from continuing with a line if they weren't saying it properly...

Sounds kinda cute, anyway. Like the people voicing the characters were trying really hard to do their best in good faith, being a bunch of serious people about the situation. Shame it didn't work out too well, I guess.

What an honor it must be to do voice overs for a video game. Players may very well hear the sounds of their voices well after their deaths... Who can forget Tony Jay's performance as the Elder God in the Legacy of Kain games? He's not alive, but his voice is immortal. I really like that. I really like voice actors. I really like people.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I played it on the xbox 360, but never actually finished the game.

Bad voice acting doesn't bother me. Terrible voice acting does, but PSU's was more in "So Bad It's Good" territory xD There's a web-comic-thing and an expansion pack that continues the story (with your own custom character online though). Though really the game is an MMO after all, that's where most of the effort had to go.

Personally for an online phantasy star game for the PC I'd just grab Blue Burst for free because PSO was awesome. Really that's the main fault with PSU's online play, it's different from PSO but not different enough. This wound up disappointing people who wanted something vastly different and people who just wanted PSO again...personally I enjoyed it but decided all MMORPGs are not worth the monthly fees and stopped playing.

Now PS0, PS0 was just awesome and was an Online RPG for the DS and had no monthly fees! Win my friends, Win.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:47:32 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:55:29 pm »
  • 笑い男
Yeah, PSO was great :D
Was hyped for PSU when it was in the making, but never managed to really play it lol

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 02:34:45 am »
Phantasy Star IV is very old. The newer Phantasy Star games are all based on the gameplay of Phantasy Star Online, which was an influential action-RPG for the Dreamcast and PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.473 seconds with 52 queries.