Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just bought a Wii U  (Read 7661 times)

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
Re: Just bought a Wii U
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Not too sure why you have to be afraid to call it "hard" and act like its a breeze or what not (no idea what's really going on there), but, I don't think "skill" = "mad skillz".
Everything requires skill. Even walking. While walking sure is a lot harder I'm sure, SS does take plenty of "skill" to play properly, while obviously not being too much for your average gamer.
I don't remember it being hard, but it didn't play itself. Those silent realms fissure seems to love sure weren't a walk in the park though :p

It's that i don't want to call it hard, it's that the game wasn't hard lol.

Ugh the Silent Realms, one of the things that annoyed me about the game. 1 would of been fine, but 4? !@#$% THAT. The problem with SS is that like i said Nintendo spent too much time trying to base everything around their "OMG INNOVATIVE' WM+ controls that the rest of the game suffered because of it. Repeating Silent Realms, repeating boss fights. Less areas, etc.

I have to agree here lol. The WM+ controls really killed it for me. I put SS down really early because of them.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

thestig

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:44 pm »
Third. WM+ controls screamed of "gimmick" and I just didn't want to play the game anymore when I tried it. Nintendo tries too hard to innovate and as a result, they create gimmick products. SS would've been more enjoyable via a traditional controller, which an option to play with motion controls imo.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 08:35:38 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Third. WM+ controls screamed of "gimmick" and I just didn't want to play the game anymore when I tried it. Nintendo tries too hard to innovate and as a result, they create gimmick products. SS would've been more enjoyable via a traditional controller, which an option to play with motion controls imo.

I would've LOVED this feature! I agree with this like ten billion times...especially since the WM+ controls didn't even register so well. For instance, stabbing! What the hell! I could barely do it!
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »

I would've LOVED this feature! I agree with this like ten billion times...especially since the WM+ controls didn't even register so well. For instance, stabbing! What the hell! I could barely do it!
I really disagree with that. Because it would make SS just like TP where motions are mapped to the buttons of the gamepad. To me it the next Zelda can feature just motion controls again.

I played SS in Hero Mode right after finishing the regular mode. During Hero mode I had no trouble with unresponsive controls. My controls worked perfectly. During my first play through I also had troubles and to me it also seemed easy to blame the game for those. However I realized that motion controls are very different from buttons, where the press of a button instigates an event and then the game returns to a default state. I realized that I lacked the skill to do the motions properly and that I had been ignoring the little details in the physics of the world.

I spent hours on perfecting my control, learning how to swing and especially taking the curves and twists out of my swing and taking the curves and twists out of my stabbing. Stabilizing my arms for aiming. And finally when not to do anything. With motion controls the game is continuously adjusting to your input. However it also ignores your input in favor of animation and physics. When Link swings his sword the animation has to finish due to the weight of the sword, even if you have already returned to a neutral stance due to the 270 grams of controller. Link can also lose balance or is effected by other physics which makes the game ignore your input. Just waving your arms frantically is the button-bashing equivalent of motion controls. The difference is that with gamepads it might help, with motion controls it only results in unresponsive controls. Finally it takes at least many times the time to execute even a flick of the wrist compared to a button press and this means that your response time is also shorter.

With motion controls you need to learn to use the controls and about the physics that work on your avatar but not on you. And this the skill I meant. It is not just for Skyward Sword this is for every motion controlled game. Now you probably say that you don't want to learn that or spent time on it and that it is stupid or something. However that is your problem. To say that the game is broken or that motion controls are retarded because of that, only makes you appear incompetent.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:38:54 pm by Zaeranos »

thestig

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:12 pm »

I really disagree with that. Because it would make SS just like TP where motions are mapped to the buttons of the gamepad. To me it the next Zelda can feature just motion controls again.
How? How does giving the player a choice to play with a standard controller or motion-based controls restrict them to "motions are mapped to the buttons of the gamepad"? You're thinking of this way too narrowly. It wasn't the Gamecube's fault that TP had such a shoddy implementation. It all comes back on the technology and the software.

Halo 2 did well with its implementation of mouse/keyboard controls on the PC version with support for the 360 controller. And so did many other PC games of the modern era. The point I'm trying to make here is that, control schemes can be adapted to different use-case situations. Not everyone likes every control scheme. Gimmick, or not.
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:51 am »
  • 笑い男
Edit: what on earth? There was another page here? >_< lol

Not too sure why you have to be afraid to call it "hard" and act like its a breeze or what not (no idea what's really going on there), but, I don't think "skill" = "mad skillz".
Everything requires skill. Even walking. While walking sure is a lot harder I'm sure, SS does take plenty of "skill" to play properly, while obviously not being too much for your average gamer.
I don't remember it being hard, but it didn't play itself. Those silent realms fissure seems to love sure weren't a walk in the park though :p

It's that i don't want to call it hard, it's that the game wasn't hard lol.

Ugh the Silent Realms, one of the things that annoyed me about the game. 1 would of been fine, but 4? !@#$% THAT. The problem with SS is that like i said Nintendo spent too much time trying to base everything around their "OMG INNOVATIVE' WM+ controls that the rest of the game suffered because of it. Repeating Silent Realms, repeating boss fights. Less areas, etc.

Yeah, to be honest I too hated it when a silent realm came up, but not because it was some !@#$% I'd have to play through, but because it was a pretty scary trial in the sense that you just want to hurry up and get it over with without being chased down and one hit killed by some scary thing haha. Obviously not "scary" as in having the !@#$% scared out of you all of a sudden (well actually, I guess that can happen in some cases), but in the sense that it's something dreaded that you want to end as quickly as possible. It's you with nothing vs a ton of fast 1 hit killers after all. Still, that unfortunately ends up as pretty much the exact same feeling as having to overcome a !@#$% bit of the game, like "damn, not this again, please god hurry up and end".

That repeating boss fight did go on a surprising number of times, but by that point it already felt like some sort of tradition to me, and it was nice to suddenly go "?! wings!? :o" haha. The stuff with groose was pretty awesome too. But yeah, I absolutely love boss fights, so I was hoping for a lot more. I thought that scorpion one was going to go onto something more epic after you beat it and the sand drained away to reveal a huge room or whatever happened, but nope :(. Was cool to suddenly realise you're uncovering another one later on in the game though lol.
As for the areas, that's definitely a conscious decision to go for more density than scarce yet huge landscapes. The whole world felt pretty damn small that way, which left more to be desired, but the areas themselves were great imo.
Can't be all that easy to make an immensely polished incredible game to please everyone I guess :p

I wonder if they'll go the route of getting outside help to do bits here and there for the next game, as by the time such a thing's ready the wii u 2 will be coming out probably >_< lol
Pretty interesting (and exciting imo) that they've gone that way with smash bros

Don't you find it incredibly weird how some people found the game to work so well with the controls that it feels as if the game is in a generation of its own, way above basic button controls, yet others must believe those people are taking drugs or something because they never felt anything anywhere near that, as far as to think it'd be much better using buttons.

Quite strange lol

Like I said, the only problem I had was when I had IR from the sun interfering (which the remote used to calibrate itself when pointed at the screen), but shutting my curtains fixed that completely and the WM+ worked absolutely perfectly from there.
The only problem apart from that was getting used to playing such a game. Indeed like star said, stabbing was hard at first I remember.
I guess there's just a bit of a learning curve there, especially if you expect it to play as naturally as using buttons/analogue sticks etc. We've used buttons etc pretty much our whole lives. This is the first time we've had to play a game this way though. If you give up early, of course you're not going to see anything in it. Of course you would expect such natural movements to make picking up and playing such a game much easier though. Then again, it doesn't read your mind, but the movements of the remote, so if your brain says "stab" and your hand doesn't quite do an action to be read as stabbing (over say a certain slash), then all the game can do is think you're trying to slash, as that's the way the remote was moved. I guess a game using more natural movements does still have a learning curve, especially when you've never used a remote to slash/stab things well :p

Zaeranos: Very good post!

How? How does giving the player a choice to play with a standard controller or motion-based controls restrict them to "motions are mapped to the buttons of the gamepad"? You're thinking of this way too narrowly. It wasn't the Gamecube's fault that TP had such a shoddy implementation. It all comes back on the technology and the software.

Halo 2 did well with its implementation of mouse/keyboard controls on the PC version with support for the 360 controller. And so did many other PC games of the modern era. The point I'm trying to make here is that, control schemes can be adapted to different use-case situations. Not everyone likes every control scheme. Gimmick, or not.

While of course it's the best if you can cater to everything and to everyone, that's just no possible right now. You can't make a game based on pretty much 1:1 sword play and then go out of your way to make it playable with buttons. A lot of the game was designed around this feature/gameplay. You can't just then ignore all of that/brute force another input method that'll just end up with totally different gameplay in a game it's not meant for. Sure, technically you can, quite easily. But that's just the technical side of things. There's FAR more to that in games. Such as making sure it's fun for the player of course. Of course in this case, not everyone managed to find it fun though, which is a shame :(
I really liked it and would love everyone to experience the same thing, as it really was quite an experience.

Btw "gimmick" = "A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business." It's just something that's there to be a novelty and attract attention, not to actually make the end experience better. Something that does actually add to the real experience is not a gimmick.
The DS screens, oh how they were called gimmicks. Sure, some games used them as gimmicks, using their functionality for the novelty of it, not to better the game. But as we know, in the end, the screens do help make games better. Not hugely, but being able to touch to make selections? A map/inventory etc and the action all there in one go? As we know, it's all very handy stuff. Sure, when it first takes off it becomes a fad and people are fast to call them gimmicks, but recently, people use the word "gimmick" to just describe something different and new, which is obviously completely missing half the meaning of it.

You could say the waggle for using the sword in TP was a gimmick. Exact same as a button press, didn't really add anything, except sort of making it feel more like you're actually using a sword, but ignoring that, quite gimmick like (shooting arrows with it was great though imo). I find it very hard to call using WM+ in SS a gimmick though. The game wouldn't exist without it. It's the main damn feature.

In the end, sure you could make SS with a normal controller, technically. If you reworked enough of it, you could have the exact same game in terms of story/areas/characters etc, just with different gameplay. I'm sure that would have been a great zelda game too.
But after completing it, I really do find it absurd to play such a game using buttons. Buttons feel so damn simplistic. Using the WM+ added SO MUCH more to the gameplay. Of course in terms of this game, it's a shame that not everyone could work them out, but damn, buttons sure are not the complete future of games. I can say that with confidence after what I experienced with SS. It's a very special game in that way. Also a very good zelda game for what it was too. Sure, there's plenty more to be desired, but that allows us to look forward to the next one :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:02:48 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

thestig

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:16 am »
Hawthorneluke - Senior Spokesperson for Nintendo.

Sorry, can't resist XD
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 04:41:19 pm »
  • 笑い男
I guess the way they think/go about doing stuff matches me personally, but yeah, I'll take that title if you insist :p lol
(Not directed at you, but) I find it also makes things a lot easier to handle if you comprehend the reasoning behind this and that, not just demand everything be made as you think it should, only thinking about you as the customer.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 10:37:56 am »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Personally I'm with hawthorneluke on this one. I played the whole game via my bed without any issues and had fun with it. I guess if you have issues with the whole gimmick idea then that's your problem, but there's no need to put others down who were able to look past that and enjoy the game for what it was.

And I'm sure that if Nintendo had included button controls, we'd be having similar conversations about it, except it would probably be about how Nintendo cheapened the feel of the motion controls by including the controller support, making it less useful or something.

For a company that's always innovated, y'all seem to feel strongly against them doing just that with their franchises.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 11:29:37 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Oh I'm not against the motion gimmick; most of the time I enjoy it because it works well. I think in my case with SS, I was mostly frustrated with the stab motion that would work 25% of the time. I know this is entirely my fault for maybe not stabbing properly but it drove me crazy being stuck at a part in the game all because I couldn't do the motion well :/. I might pick it up again though. Most of the motions were fun but I think adding a gamepad option would've helped with moments where I was stuck.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »
  • 笑い男
If it works well, and adds to the gameplay, it's no longer a "gimmick" >_<

But yeah, I too do remember having problems with stabbing (while lazing on the bed etc). I wonder if that's what people "too old for games" feel like with all the buttons of todays controllers :D lol

In its entirety though, while adding and taking away elements at the same time, I'd say it's sure worth your time if you ever liked a zelda game. In this game though, calming down and taking things slowly is way, way better than getting frustrated and going nuts, as that just won't get you anyway and just make you more frustrated. Although I guess that goes for a lot of things :p

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 02:37:07 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
If it works well, and adds to the gameplay, it's no longer a "gimmick" >_<

But yeah, I too do remember having problems with stabbing (while lazing on the bed etc). I wonder if that's what people "too old for games" feel like with all the buttons of todays controllers :D lol

In its entirety though, while adding and taking away elements at the same time, I'd say it's sure worth your time if you ever liked a zelda game. In this game though, calming down and taking things slowly is way, way better than getting frustrated and going nuts, as that just won't get you anyway and just make you more frustrated. Although I guess that goes for a lot of things :p

Yeeeeah...it doesn't help that I'm a Hulk. I get frustrated quite fast...you should hear the amount of cursing that comes out of me when I'm playing Assassin's parkour...I might give SS another try while doing yoga or something.
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 07:45:34 am »
  • 笑い男
Now that sounds like a challenge :p

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:34 am »
  • I'm Pro!
the wii u is totally a gimmick...

lol. j/k i haven't actually gotten to play one yet. it looks like a bunch o fun though.

also, the wii u needs pokemon snap 2. any news on that yet luke?
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:13 am »
I only recently started playing Skyward Sword (finally!, not done yet so do not spoil >_>) and the motion controls really pissed me off. But moreso the lack of being able to skip text. That's just a joke.

Anyway, the novelty of motion controls have worn off the core gamer fanbase. When the Wii was first released factories couldn't keep up with production. Everyone - inlcuding hardcore gamers - wanted one. Now the hype for the next Nintendo console is not nearly as high. The Wii U has barely anything noteworthy on release. Maybe when Smash Brothers or a decent Mario game is released (No, New Super Mario Bros U is not a decent game for Mario to make its debut in HD) I might pick it up. For now, it's just not worth it. I don't even own a WP+.
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 03:33:26 pm »
  • 笑い男
No news on any pokemon snap 2, but everyone does keep mentioning such a thing :p

I'm not sure why you're wanting to (completely?) skip text, kleaver? It's a game you play along with, the way the directors want you to, not just one you abuse for fun, say how many people played GTA (me included), so it does take some understanding, sort of like a relationship :p You'll get more fun out of it that way anyway, at least.

It is weird compared to how the wii was. I guess the wii was more appealing to the casuals too, so more casual news places picked it up and it had hype from a ton more people too. But also, you have to remember how that was 6~7 years ago and today, especially the technology and internet of today are quite a bit different, which affects perception in quite some ways imo. If you look at the figures, it's sold out everywhere. From how it didn't seem as hyped up as the wii, I thought it'd be really easy to land a preorder. I was WAY arong. It sold out in 7 mins on amazon in the uk, but when I tried to get the black one on amazon (here in japan though), I was thinking that'd never happen again, but man I was wrong. It was gone in seconds. But... again, with perception, I did read that amazon do not put up their entire stock all in one go, but put it out in small quantities over a long period of time, which may be a new thing they do (again, compared to 6~7 years ago which is a long time), so there's that too. That plus it's a different country though lol.

Apparently new mario U is the best 2D mario for quite some time (best "new" one too) though. Sure it's nothing compared to what a full 3D one could be, with a whole new world/galaxy etc lol, but for what it is, not all that bad it seems. I like the look of the challenges too, which should be great for those that love their mario platforming.

The wii had wii sports and zelda, which says it all, but yeah, the wii u doesn't exactly have that much comparable (in terms of hype at least). Also though, nintendo (lately?) seem to love to focus on the "now", and not spill the beans on anything until its near release, so that's why we only know of what there is now and nothing of the future, yet. But it seems to be working, with it all sold out and still obviously working on all the "amazing" games, which they can use later on to create more hype or what not when needed.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

thestig

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 04:25:35 pm »
I know I'm going to derail the topic, but isn't it interesting how this topic started? And now look at it, lmao.
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 07:03:33 pm »
  • 笑い男
haha, indeed :p

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 08:51:31 pm »
I'm not sure why you're wanting to (completely?) skip text, kleaver? It's a game you play along with, the way the directors want you to, not just one you abuse for fun, say how many people played GTA (me included), so it does take some understanding, sort of like a relationship :p You'll get more fun out of it that way anyway, at least.

Every time you want to buy something from a vendor, you get the same bit of text at slug speed. Every time you talk to someone in Skyloft, even if you have talked to them before. Every stupid ridiculous 'advice' by Fi goes by super slow, even if you already read it before and understand it  (seriously, the advice she gives is almost always completely useless). Twilight Princess and ALL other Zelda games gave you the ability to just show the whole line of text instantly so you could read at your own pace. Stuff like this is just a major oversight. Slow text during cutscenes or whatever is fine, but not this. And uh, yeah I do play GTA and a LOT of other single player games. They rarely make mundane tasks so needlessly frustrating. Oh and by the way. MOST GAMES HAVE VOICE ACTING. Scrolling through text slowly when there is voice acting (like in GTA) makes a lot more sense. But Nintendo for some reason still hasn't bothered to just hire a couple of voice actors.
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 10:16:05 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh and by the way. MOST GAMES HAVE VOICE ACTING. Scrolling through text slowly when there is voice acting (like in GTA) makes a lot more sense. But Nintendo for some reason still hasn't bothered to just hire a couple of voice actors.

Probably because it would make it feel even more strange that Link never talks, as it would be much more apparent with everyone else talking but Link. Of course, Nintendo doesn't want to make Link talk because of the amount of fans who are against it (I guess that's why?). Personally, I would like to see something different in a Zelda, so I'm all for full voice acting, even with Link.

I had no idea about the text speed issue. If I had played more of the game, I'm certain that would've driven me crazy.

I have a question: Is Fi more annoying than Navi?? I'm just curious what people think, because I keep hearing that the advice Fi gives can be utterly ridiculous, and if that happens enough with sluggish text speed then I'd find that far more annoying than Navi yelling out "hey!" every now once in a while.

Btw, I wanted to buy a Wii U, but then I looked at the games thus far and I'm not moved to buy one until I see some more good single player games. I just feel like Nintendo thinks too much now about making games that families can play together and crap like that, or games that people can move to and get/stay fit... I don't use consoles for working out, I don't want to, I just want to play games on it. I realized recently that I haven't really liked Nintendo for a few years now, not since the Game Cube went out of the picture. I find myself liking Playstation more than Nintendo. Of course, the Nintendo classics will always be awesome in my eyes. Nintendo just isn't impressing me anymore. Perhaps I'm just becoming harder to please as I get older.. :/
  • My Music
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 77 queries.

anything