Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadow of Liimina Programming Discussion  (Read 11150 times)

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
Re: Shadow of Liimina Programming Discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 03:19:06 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
I would definitely recommend C++ and Java/C#. C++ is commonly used in the gaming industry. We use AS3 at work for some games and that's Java-based, so Java's pretty useful. Every language has its set of advantages and disadvantages but I find being multilingual is just generally advantageous in itself.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

thestig

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 03:39:49 am »
I would definitely recommend C++ and Java/C#. C++ is commonly used in the gaming industry. We use AS3 at work for some games and that's Java-based, so Java's pretty useful. Every language has its set of advantages and disadvantages but I find being multilingual is just generally advantageous in itself.
This. It really depends on _your_ specific needs. To be honest, I would ask yourself which language you would feel most comfortable with in order to complete your game above what the industry does. Humble Indie Bundle and co have proven that programming language only matters in what you're able to do and what you need to get done.

Does writing a game engine using C++ and spawning an OpenGL 4.x context with the core profile enabled look sexy on your resume? Yes. Does this help you finish your game? Has no relevance.

I find myself writing "custom code" only when its necessary(like if I know I can do better than existing implementations) or if I want to learn something new. Take my RTOS(real time operating system) for example with my microcontroller.. it has no practical use except now I know a little bit more about operating systems and how they work. So getting back to the point, does working with C++ benefit you in what your final goal is. Keep your focus. What is your _goal_ here? Then go from there.

Linkxp500

Intellectual Pseudo-Swordsman
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »
  • Courage gives me the strength to fight fear.
So getting back to the point, does working with C++ benefit you in what your final goal is. Keep your focus. What is your _goal_ here? Then go from there.

Yes, this is true.

If you're final goal is to complete THIS game or similar non-commercial projects, then you need to think of how you'd do well with it.  If you plan to make this a career, it would be a good idea to know more than one or two languages.

Sorry if I'm spouting the same old things everyone else has already established, but I must add that you need to research what field or language would best interest you and meet your needs as you progress in life.

PS: I'll PM you about something that I'm not sure whether or not I should post it here.  Just to keep this topic on track.
The only thing I hate about the name Link is that when you Google the character Link you end up clicking a link to a link that usually doesn't mention someone named Link.

Humans are never perfect.  They make mistakes that teach them what to do differently.  Humans also possess the ability to repeat those mistakes.  That's why humans are never perfect.

"Do, or do not... there is no try." - Yoda, from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

"Who's the more foolish?  The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Old Ben Kenobi, from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2012, 01:21:15 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
Well it is my life long goal, but from what I hear... programming is constantly improving. Learning an entire language is already pretty much impossible, how would I learn two languages or more when they're all constantly evolving and becoming more complex?
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 01:43:07 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Well it is my life long goal, but from what I hear... programming is constantly improving. Learning an entire language is already pretty much impossible, how would I learn two languages or more when they're all constantly evolving and becoming more complex?

It's actually not that bad once you really learn one. It's not quite the language really, but more of the logic behind algorithms. The language is like the sugary coating. If you know how to properly list out an algorithm and do it efficiently, the language isn't so much the hard part. However, each language does have its quirks. For instance, a list in C++ commonly uses pointers while in Java...well, it kind of doesn't since you don't really "use" pointers. Just simple things like that. I think you can do it. Don't discourage yourself.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2012, 06:28:23 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
I'll try not to get discouraged, what else have I got to live for right?

So yeah, I guess I'll try and get C++ down and then Java.
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

Linkxp500

Intellectual Pseudo-Swordsman
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2012, 03:34:14 pm »
  • Courage gives me the strength to fight fear.
I'll try not to get discouraged, what else have I got to live for right?

So yeah, I guess I'll try and get C++ down and then Java.

To be honest, I think that's the best combination of languages.  But I'm sure you will eventually run into situations that require other languages.  If you happen to run into C# (Sharp, if that's it. :P), then you will find that it contains elements of both C++ and Java, and it could be more difficult to understand because it's like both, but unlike either.

In a way of speaking, it can be confusing as to how it can be used in ways that the other two couldn't; I got this info from an experienced programmer, but I personally cannot remember what he said makes it so difficult.
The only thing I hate about the name Link is that when you Google the character Link you end up clicking a link to a link that usually doesn't mention someone named Link.

Humans are never perfect.  They make mistakes that teach them what to do differently.  Humans also possess the ability to repeat those mistakes.  That's why humans are never perfect.

"Do, or do not... there is no try." - Yoda, from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

"Who's the more foolish?  The fool, or the fool who follows him?" - Old Ben Kenobi, from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 52 queries.