Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Original Zelda Shrine (v1.0 Final Beta)  (Read 1599 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
The Original Zelda Shrine (v1.0 Final Beta)
« on: May 18, 2014, 09:57:40 pm »
  • *
  • Reputation: +0/-0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 269

The Original Zelda Shrine
Current Release (1.0 BETA "Final")


---

In 1999, I began a news group called ZeldaFans383.  It grew rather rapidly and I was forced to move to tripod.com, there I began to use their site builder to make my first website.  While surfing the net one day in '01, I came across a website by a Swedish man named Link to the Past Shrine.  I sent him an email requesting affiliation and he sent me back a simple and polite no.

This was because my website was made by a site builder, and he looked down on this.  He turned my website down, despite getting as many hits as his and sent me a link to w3schools.com; 3 years later I refound this website I my zelda383.com became one their closest affiliates.  We began to correspond and over the next few years through the magic of PHP4 Zelda Shrine was born.  Zelda Shrine became one of the largest zelda fan website on the net; i remember at one time getting 100 unique hits an hour.

We build an image gallery, a forum, and a system designed to allow for the care and adoption of subrosians where you can feed them, give them tattoos, and change their color.  In 2006, Carl graduated from college and moved on.  I was only 17 at this time and just a year and a half later, after I rewrote the website with an even newer layout and completely new systems my server crashed and at that time I lacked the knowledge to rebuild the website.

Now days, 7 years later;  I have wrote many websites and moved to lower level linux programming and so I have quite a few servers and I came across a couple weeks ago an archive of the website from the the week Carl left.  I have been rewriting these systems and a have the image gallery complete, the subrosian system working and am working on a forum rewrite.  All old content (up to twilight princess) is up, and I am just trying to modernize the website now.

I've gone with what we called the "Final" layout design for this V1.0 (despite the fact that it is technically the 11th version of the website and their was one after it that I no longer have the source to) so that is what it will be called, I will be redesigning the layout over half a year or so and eventually reach a v2.0.  I'm going for a large repository of zelda information backed by a contributing community.  And the custom CMS I am now standardizing to a piece of software i'm calling zshrineCMS and it may one day be open source.

---

The Original Zelda Shrine - v1.0 Final (BETA) | ZeldaShrine.com

v1.0 Final BETA:

Purpose:
   Get old website ready for re-release as modern website.  Update PHP4 to PHP5 and bring all code up to modern standards.

1. Bring HTML/CSS up to latest HTML4 [60%]
2. Rewrite news system [80%]
4. Rewrite image gallery
5. Update user system
6. Layout Updates

v1.1 Final To Do List:
Purpose:
   Redo user and content systems to allow members to contribute to the website and allow room for growth with a more updated and DICKBUTT-style layout.

1. Forum Rewrite
2. Content System Overhall
3. Development of RSS Feed System
4. Rewrite of User System
5. Layout Updates
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:15:01 pm by linkthemaster »
Logged
the Indyboard - User Generated Social Forum | Now With Even More Discussion!
Poe, The Independent Programmer
  • Zelda Shrine

PoeFacedKilla

Prussian Killer Bee
Re: The Original Zelda Shrine (v1.0 Final Beta)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:04:46 am »
  • *
  • Reputation: +0/-0
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 269
size=24pt]First Forum Rewrite Almost Complete![/size]
I've rewritten the entire forum in the latest PHP5 and now I just have to fix a DB glitch, for some reason posts with periods or commas aren't being inserted into the DB 1/3 of the time and it is rather annoying.  The search function got a mini rewrite as well as their was still some PHP4 in their and now i'm going to try and switch to text based forum/news system to allow for longer and stabler posts.
Logged
the Indyboard - User Generated Social Forum | Now With Even More Discussion!
Poe, The Independent Programmer
  • Zelda Shrine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

 


Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved



Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.