Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a good language...  (Read 3819 times)

I need a good language...
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:23:39 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Hey. I need a good language for writing 3D and 2D games that is easy to learn and has good tutorials on the internet. And I would also like to know of any simple way to write your own language. Thanks. ;)

Your hero,
-Moldorma
  • Lionfish Apps
Re: I need a good language...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 11:14:03 pm »
  • =/
Blitz 3d can do 3d games and is easy to understand but is fairly old. Blitzmax, I havn't tried but its very up to date but right now it can only do 2d stuff. In November (I think) it will be upgraded with a new 3d engine that will have pixel shaders and direct x 9 support.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:55:09 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I just mean a language. Like C or Python. Not a program or a Game Maker. And it has to have compilers that are compatible for Mac.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 01:15:32 am »
  • The Broken King
C# with Managed Direct X.

Get C# here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/express

RESOURCES:
MSDN tutorials, 11 webcasts for each 2D and 3D game development in C#, approximately 1 hour each.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/gamedevelopment/default.aspx
Tutorials:
http://www.thehazymind.com/3DEngine.htm
http://www.c-unit.com/tutorials/mdirectx/index.php

I haven't used it myself, I've wanted to teach myself but haven't had time lately...but it's very good for making thigns quick, and a lot easier than C++ (from what I hear from classmates who use it, and my teacher). However for some reason that I don't remember, probably speed, the teacher didn't recommend using it for games - he said C++/CLI or just C++ with Direct X 9 is better. I don't know why. Probably because C++ is more cross platform than C# (I don't know if C# is cross platform). C# is used more for the tools for the game, such as a level editor.

Hope that helps!
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 01:17:47 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Well, I'll look into it, but if it doesn't run on Mac it's outta the question. :) Thanks for helping though.

EDIT: Nope.

if(_root.C#.compatability==mac){
   _root.Moldorma=attempt;
}
if(_root.C#.compatability!=mac){
   _root.Moldorma.posts("No go...");
}

* Moldorma says No Go...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 01:21:05 am by Moldorma »
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:18:44 am »
  • Minalien
I may be wrong, but Ruby may be mac-compatible. And I've found a full book (LEGALLY, even) on the internet for it.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/

The book is on there, too.
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 01:26:51 am by MiNalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:23:44 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
It's Unix compatible, and that's the heart of OSX, but I don't know how to build and compile source code.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 01:26:57 am »
  • The Broken King
Why do you need it to run on mac?

There are plenty of sources for C++ if you're interested in that too. Sadly, I don't know as many links, as I learned most of mine off the internet.
  • Broken Kings [Temp Site]
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 01:29:52 am »
  • Its the joeshmo!
Moldorma owns a mac.
  • Netterra Virtual Pets
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 01:36:53 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
Yeah, when I insist that it runs on a Mac, I'm not saying it because I onw a Windows. :-\
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 03:14:14 am »
C# isn't cross, you need the .NET Framework, which is only Windows compatible.

Why not learn Java? It is cross... and Powerful. It's hard to do programming on a MAC :/
the a o d c
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 03:46:43 am »
  • Minalien
C# isn't cross, you need the .NET Framework, which is only Windows compatible.

Why not learn Java? It is cross... and Powerful. It's hard to do programming on a MAC :/

But Java isn't exactly the fastest thing on earth for game programming, which I'm guessing is what Moldorma wants. I recommend learning C++ and trying out some free game libraries when you get advanced enough (such as Ogre3D (3D rendering), IRRLicht (game engine/library), SDL, Allegro (I'm not sure if that works with mac or not, but I'm just giving examples, so it doesn't really matter), etc.)
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

gm112

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 05:25:18 am »
No, use blitzmax that compiler is really, really good for developing 2D games...soon 3D. Cross compadible to all os's.
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 07:33:58 am »
Moldorm, BlitzMax is cross-compatible and a hybrid of C and Basic, don't dismiss it so quickly. Its also not a program like game maker (gyah i hate when people confuse this.) its a nativly compiled programming language >_<.

And I would also like to know of any simple way to write your own language
Gyah, read up on compiler design, there is no 'simple' way, compiler design is very difficult.

you need the .NET Framework, which is only Windows compatible.
And linux....

But Java isn't exactly the fastest thing on earth for game programming.
You would be quite suprised, due to the fact that Java uses JIT compiling it can get to near enough the speed of nativly compiled programs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 07:35:49 am by Helios »
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 11:02:50 am »
  • IBV
you need the .NET Framework, which is only Windows compatible.
And linux....

The support for Linux isn't exactly perfect. Plus, it is not an official release, i.e. it's hackers who have made it compatible (by hecking and with the little released source code by Microsoft), and not Microsoft themselves (because why would they :P).
My signature is empty.

aab

^ Evolved from a Hobbit
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 11:12:48 am »
But Java isn't exactly the fastest thing on earth for game programming.
You would be quite suprised, due to the fact that Java uses JIT compiling it can get to near enough the speed of nativly compiled programs.
Yeah, it just takes an extra 5 seconds to start up :).
And game bottlenecks are in ai and rendering that could be performed externally.
And with Java there are some really easy to use libraries for things.

Blitzmax is a language, in the same manner as languages like C, C++, Pascal. Its missing various Object orientated constructs, so often programming in it might end up somewhere inbetween procedural and object orientated (..wheras in C++ it ends up somewhere between everything and nothing ). Its just that its been designed to work on a limited number of platforms, such that they require display and possible GUI components, and so it designs its standard libraries to have such things: This can't be compared to things like 3dGameStudio that build and encapsulate things internally.
These are librarys which you don't have to have any of in your product if you dont want.
Blitz is a fine language choice for quick and intuitive learning of the common ideas of programming, and getting something satisfactory done in a quick time.

I ♥ Sol
.... I ♥ Sol ? wtf how long has that been there? >_> *rrrrrrrrar*
  • MySpace
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 03:01:07 pm »
Japanese. Oh, sorry, I meant BlitzMAX. It can do 2D and GUI, and can compile onto Windows, MacOS and Linux. Also, later this year, a 3D module will come out with pixel shaders and other cool stuff :). Or you can just use the Irrlicht engine.
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 07:12:11 pm »
Japanese. Oh, sorry, I meant BlitzMAX. It can do 2D and GUI, and can compile onto Windows, MacOS and Linux. Also, later this year, a 3D module will come out with pixel shaders and other cool stuff :). Or you can just use the Irrlicht engine.

Nah, best to user MiniB3D, Eliza or one of the other more next-gen engines if your going for BMax.
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 05:51:42 am »
Just wondering... But does MiniB3D/Eliza support Pixel Shading... plus URL please?
the a o d c
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 07:04:43 am »
Just wondering... But does MiniB3D/Eliza support Pixel Shading... plus URL please?
Yes, there is also Aurora, ColdSteel, 3Impact and numerous other 3D engine's, I'm really suprised when people say there isn't one XD

Eliza3D worklog: http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=5277&log=583
MiniB3D topic: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=59650

If you want to look at more engines just search for '3D engine' in the blitzbasic forum you will find quite a lot :P
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 77 queries.