Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you record your music, how do you do it?  (Read 2516 times)

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
If you record your music, how do you do it?
« on: July 28, 2006, 02:09:20 am »
  • ...Is it recording?
Title. I mean, do you use an 8-track, your comp, or what? I use a TASCAM US-122 USB audio/MIDI interface to record on my computer, using the Audacity program.
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3

Limey

Re: If you record your music, how do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 02:12:18 am »
I use my mom's apple computer, and garage band.  I use the not-so-good built in mic, and I use my Casio CZ-101 keyboard.  <3 Recording music.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:41 am »
  • hungry..
Unfortunately I do not have a midi keyboard, so when it comes to recording music on my computer it consists of a lot of clicking of the mouse. I used to own an 8 track and use that to record stuff like guitar, bass and vocals for my own songs. Nowadays I don't do much recording though. I would like to get myself a midi keyboard, but don't really have the funds.
  • My Blog

Pyru

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 10:27:14 am »
I tend to record straight from the instrument or amplifier through a microphone into the computer. Works well enough.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 12:11:47 pm »
  • IBV
The best way:
Analogue recording, then transfer that to digital computer, keeping both the analogue source for analogue distribution (vinyl, casette tape), and the lossless (WAV, AIFF, FLAC..... NOT MP3!!) digital transfer for digital distribution (CD, digital tape etc.).

The less good way:
Record straight to computer in whatever way you seem fit (it's your choice how you want quality), save recording to WAV, AIFF or FLAC but never MP3 or OGG etc. (like I said above). You can't however distibute on analogue media this way, though.

Both ways:
Internet distubution shall be done in FLAC, or a MP3 alternative for 56k users (or they can choose to wait some days for getting the FLAC version since it is better)
Note: If you are stupid enough to record to MP3 or OGG anyway, or encode to MP3 somewhere halfway, you don't need to distribute in FLAC though.
Note 2: If you mix with a lossy file (e.g. add after-recording-effects and such to a MP3 or OGG) you will keep encoding and decoding the file on every change and the quality will get poorer and poorer. => Use WAV, AIFF or FLAC until the very last stage if you now really need to distribute in MP3 or OGG
My signature is empty.

Solarrain4

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 04:07:01 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?
Actually, before I got my interface (I got the thing on Monday for $150, it was on sale), I tried to put the recordings directly into my comp, and the quality SUCKED. I had to get the interface if I was to reccord at good to high quality.

And I have an MP3 of a cover song that the band's doing... but it's 2-and-a-half megs >_< (I have dialup, but am getting DSL at home, one town north of where I am now.)

mit

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 10:54:31 pm »
  • QBASIC programmer since age 4. Take that, world.
you will keep encoding and decoding the file on every change and the quality will get poorer and poorer
Heh, wouldn't it be slightly more logical to save it lossless on your comp, but then distribute as mp3?
Programmer / Spriter / Level designer / Game Director / Web Designer / Music Sequencer for
Random Highscore table:

Play the Kousou Arcade today!
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 11:13:43 am »
  • IBV
you will keep encoding and decoding the file on every change and the quality will get poorer and poorer
Heh, wouldn't it be slightly more logical to save it lossless on your comp, but then distribute as mp3?
Yes, that's what I meant. A lossless backup and workfile and then distribute at least losslessly too if you're smart and lossy if you want to give an alternative for those that are on veeeeeeeeery poor connections (people with small hard drives can burn it on CDs you know). The reason a listener would want a lossless file is because burning lossy files is a waste of space on a CD. If I get 300 MB music (legally or otherwise) I can decode it (and it will become around 650 to 700 MB) and then burn to CD (which is 700 MB), but if I get 80 MB of lossy MP3s burning them would result in using all the 700 MB on the CDs for something that sounds like it is only 80 (it's not like the data comes back after having encoding it to MP3 once).
My signature is empty.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 11:17:46 am »
  • Fendez Coder
I just put a mic infront of my amp and record in Acoustica Mixcraft.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Solarrain4

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 01:56:37 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?
I just put a mic infront of my amp and record in Acoustica Mixcraft.

Through a line-in jack on your comp, I assume :P 'Cause mic jack quality sucks.

Me, I do pretty much the same thing, just without a mic (I use distortion in my guitar parts, so I run my guitar through my amp, then use a cable out of the headphone jack into the interface, and then the interface into my comp's USB port), and I use Audacity.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:58:27 pm by Solarrain4 »
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 05:15:32 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
Well I find there's a trade-off between quality and tone. Putting a mic infront of the amp means you'll get a way better tone, since the amp can actually produce the sound with proper vibrations, but the mic does produce a bit of fuzz. Direct input and you'll lose all that fuzz but you'll get a very tinny fake sound, imo.

If you get a really good mic though, and turn your amp up real loud, turning all levels right down - you'll lose all that fuzz cos all the mic can hear is the super loud amp :P

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games

Solarrain4

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 07:54:25 pm »
  • ...Is it recording?
Well I find there's a trade-off between quality and tone. Putting a mic infront of the amp means you'll get a way better tone, since the amp can actually produce the sound with proper vibrations, but the mic does produce a bit of fuzz. Direct input and you'll lose all that fuzz but you'll get a very tinny fake sound, imo.

If you get a really good mic though, and turn your amp up real loud, turning all levels right down - you'll lose all that fuzz cos all the mic can hear is the super loud amp :P

Heh... Better use earmuffs, though XD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 61 queries.

anything