Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 166   Go Down

Author Topic: [Dead] Zelda: Oracle of Life  (Read 545597 times)

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
Re: [WIP] Zelda: Oracle of Life - Sunday Release
« Reply #2500 on: January 26, 2007, 10:57:05 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
Well, I finally got around to downloading this. Looks awesome, I'll post again once I've played a bit.

EDIT: Well, I'd like to play it. I can't get it to work though. I created an account, but when I try to log in, it just stays at the main screen.

EDIT2: Well, got it to work, and I'm sorry, but I'm very, very disappointed. It's just not fun. There is nothing there to make me want to actually play. It's super glitchy, the movement is ridiculously slow(not to mention grid based movement*shiver*), I have no idea what I'm supposed to be(no guidance), no goal. . . nothing.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:23:50 pm by Acid Rain »

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #2501 on: January 26, 2007, 11:45:53 pm »
Btw, the server is down.
« Reply #2502 on: January 26, 2007, 11:56:45 pm »
  • Back again.
AcidRain, that's just you. Most people who have played it love it. It's the community and the fighting. I'd LOVE to see you make something as sophisticated as this.
Just kinda moseying along.
« Reply #2503 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07:09 am »
AcidRain, that's just you. Most people who have played it love it. It's the community and the fighting. I'd LOVE to see you make something as sophisticated as this.
I can see him doing that and making something better... xD

Just for you smart people:
STA: 00 00 00 00 00 00 49 40 00 00
Snow speed: 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 40 00 00
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 12:29:49 am by Penguin »
« Reply #2504 on: January 27, 2007, 12:35:18 am »
But doesn't it change everytime you play?

Raen

« Reply #2505 on: January 27, 2007, 12:38:25 am »
Do you really want me to? I've considered it.

And I believe AoDC wanted people to be harsh, and I was. If he wants me to elaborate any more on any of my points, I'll be happy to. I want this game to be good: but it isn't, currently.

« Reply #2506 on: January 27, 2007, 12:39:20 am »

And I believe AoDC wanted people to be harsh, and I was. If he wants me to elaborate any more on any of my points, I'll be happy to. I want this game to be good: but it isn't, currently.
That's what I said :D
« Reply #2507 on: January 27, 2007, 12:41:54 am »

That's what I said :D
but, your reasons are wrong and his are right.. I am going to give my C+C to AoDC when he logs in <.<
« Reply #2508 on: January 27, 2007, 01:02:37 am »
Well, I finally got around to downloading this. Looks awesome, I'll post again once I've played a bit.

EDIT: Well, I'd like to play it. I can't get it to work though. I created an account, but when I try to log in, it just stays at the main screen.
I also had that problem, i created an account and tried to login about 8 or so times, in the end i just gave up :/
« Reply #2509 on: January 27, 2007, 01:13:52 am »
Here is the video of a battle me (Cheese) did.  GM112, if you are reading this.  I'm wondering if I can get a better vid, since this one is messed up (the battle is small and is at the top left corner):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6OlM-THgjQ

P.S.  You can see better in fullscreen, and I'm banned from OOL so please don't ask me how to get to him.
« Reply #2510 on: January 27, 2007, 01:40:08 am »
  • srsly, <3
lol, at the person who keeps trying to "heck" the highscore table.

Just a quick warning to those who do attempt to heck (BlueMonkey), I have a little policy that goes for my Entire server.

Any persons caught hecking ANY files on Dayjo Aspen's server, will be permanently banned from ALL of our services, including but not limited to;
  • Eminent - Online
  • Dayjo Aspen Inc.
  • Hot Hosted
  • Dayjo Aspen Games
  • Zelda Sound collection from Noproblo
This includes any and all files hosted under a domain that is owned by Dayjo Aspen or Hot Hosted.

The term "heck" is used loosely and is defined at our own will and per-situation. But a brief definition might be something as follows:
Any modification of any file stored or linked to by our services without the permission of the owner or with malicious intent.
Again, the term "malicious" is used loosely.
*points at madmonkey* Oooo!  You're in serious doo doo!

what?  :(
avvy made by: TheBlackMarket
  • my site

gm112

« Reply #2511 on: January 27, 2007, 02:12:34 am »
Penguin meant bluemonkey. Don't worry, madmonkey.
« Reply #2512 on: January 27, 2007, 02:31:48 am »
Penguin meant bluemonkey. Don't worry, madmonkey.
Yup. :D
« Reply #2513 on: January 27, 2007, 02:37:08 am »

Still, 3 years of !@#$% work that he's done is a damn straight good job. I still have his beta testing one and he's come a long way. AoDC will probably NOT appreciate the fact that you attempt to criticise a game that has been hard work. Think about coding, all of the stuff involved. Can you appreciate that, at all?
I guess not.
« Reply #2514 on: January 27, 2007, 02:46:44 am »

Still, 3 years of funking work that he's done is a damn straight good job. I still have his beta testing one and he's come a long way. AoDC will probably NOT appreciate the fact that you attempt to criticise a game that has been hard work. Think about coding, all of the stuff involved. Can you appreciate that, at all?
I guess not.
Actually, hes only coded for one month.  Since after he moved to custom he started from scratch again.
« Reply #2515 on: January 27, 2007, 02:48:39 am »

Still, 3 years of funking work that he's done is a damn straight good job. I still have his beta testing one and he's come a long way. AoDC will probably NOT appreciate the fact that you attempt to criticise a game that has been hard work. Think about coding, all of the stuff involved. Can you appreciate that, at all?
I guess not.
Actually, hes only coded for one month.  Since after he moved to custom he started from scratch again.
true, but it took him more than a month to learn about Online games and make them look good, and all that is required for it. eventhough he started from scratch I am sure most of the stuff he already knew them.
« Reply #2516 on: January 27, 2007, 03:10:31 am »

I guess not.
true, but it took him more than a month to learn about Online games and make them look good, and all that is required for it. eventhough he started from scratch I am sure most of the stuff he already knew them.
It only took me one week to learn soc v2...  But now I need to learn soc v3.. >_>
« Reply #2517 on: January 27, 2007, 03:41:51 am »
Lmao, Kren Soc is the dll that AoDC uses to make OOL a mmorpg.  I won't get banned from dayjo.org or zfgc.com for learning that.  :P

Raen

« Reply #2518 on: January 27, 2007, 03:48:00 am »
I respect the work AoDC has put into this, but I'm still going to be harsh. I am a game fanatic. I know games. I know what makes them good and what makes the bad. Even taking into account that this game is an amateur game, there is a lot of improvement that could be had. I think I'm going to elaborate on some points here:

1)The HUD is far too obtrusive. It gets in the way. It covers exits. There are parts of some maps, specifically the bottom of the map, that you can never see because of the text box. Something needs to be done about that monster.

2)The graphics are sub-par. I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but it is completely true. I hate the character sprites, being quite blunt. I'm not a graphic artist, so I really can't say exactly what is wrong with them, but they just don't feel right. There is also a lot of polish that could go into the graphical assets, the mapping, ect. I'm going to stick collision detection in here too. A lot more effort could go into getting it pixel perfect.

3)Combat is crud. And super glitchy. Those bats didn't even move. A ton of work needs to go into this. Maybe a complete rethinking of all the combat. Try to get it completely glitch free, and make it fun. That's important.

4)Grid-based movement? Ugh. Please, pixel-based is so much better. I could maybe even deal with the grid movement if the doors and some other objects actually lined up with that grid. Door, for example. You can't stand right in front of them, only over to the side a little bit. There are other objects just like that as well.

5)What's with the built-in Game Maker text boxes? Their horrid. Get yourself a real text engine.

6)There is no real direction or purpose to the game. So I start in a house and. . . what do I do? What is my purpose? Why am I there? What do I need to do? Does someone need my help? These are all things that should be answered. Quests are a good way to do this. Give the character something to do, give them a purpose. Also teach them to play the game. Teach them the controls and everything else they need in the game, not in a help file. Introduce them to it slowly, and build up to more complex concepts. Which leads to another point. . .

7)This game is ridiculously simple and easy. Make progression slower, and add some depth and complexity to things. Make the game fun.

8)I've kind-of said this already, but please make the game more user friendly. Teach the player to play the game in the game. Make quest givers obvious. Make the HUD intuitive. Make everything flow.

So yeah, there you go. Ultimately, I think you need to sit down with a couple of good MMOs and just play your heart out, and learn what makes them fun. Pay attention and you can learn a lot.

I'd like to compliment you on you clan battle stuff, though. It sounds like you've given that a bit of thought, although it could be fleshed out and redesigned to make it much, much better, though.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #2519 on: January 27, 2007, 03:55:01 am »
  • Silly cat!
2)The graphics are sub-par. I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but it is completely true. I hate the character sprites, being quite blunt. I'm not a graphic artist, so I really can't say exactly what is wrong with them, but they just don't feel right. There is also a lot of polish that could go into the graphical assets, the mapping, ect. I'm going to stick collision detection in here too. A lot more effort could go into getting it pixel perfect.
What exactly was wrong with the maps? I'm not insulting you or anything, I'd just like some constructive criticism on what you find to be sub-par with my maps :P.

I agree with basically everything you said though, Acid Rain. I think it's a good thing that you came out and were blunt about some of the shortcomings with Oracle of Life. Otherwise the game would just keep going on and on, being praised, and the developers would think they're doing everything right until they get into a mess.

Good example of constructive criticism, Acid Rain. Well done ;).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:57:13 am by Hero of Fire »

Hoffy.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 166   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 77 queries.