Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Twinsen  (Read 33507 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Twinsen
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2007, 05:17:41 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
:o yeah I see your camera system in place now; I didnt notice the youtube demos :o! looks awesome man
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:49 am »
That's awesome .TakaM. Are you going to look into possibly making a profit off this project? God knows you deserve it.
Maybe possibly something similar in the future perhaps
The graphics are incredable, as everyone knows
but i sure hope something's done about the controls from the existing demo :S
i barely got anywhere through the first level because of after dying 10's of times thanks to me not being able to throw the ball at the plant and attack it correctly because of having to remember what key does what and in what combination with what, while trying to avoid some dragon fly or me jumping into the water or the knife being so tiny making misjudgements of attacks easy and ending up with you getting hit

of course if i played for quite some time then i may get on ok, but i dont think that should be the case with the first 10 seconds of the game O_o

there are some other comments on the controls and what not on the 64digits entry that i felt i agreed with too
oh god, forget that demo, it's a joke compared to the game now
:o yeah I see your camera system in place now; I didnt notice the youtube demos :o! looks awesome man
yeah, they're not incredibly out of date, but even the latest youtube video was using the old movement engine
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2007, 10:13:18 am »
  • 笑い男
ah ha :P
i hope that is the case ^^
i'll be waiting for the next one then >:D

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2007, 10:17:11 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
yeah, they're not incredibly out of date, but even the latest youtube video was using the old movement engine

O_O really? It didn't seem bad at all; last I remember, GM had issues with parallax bgs and its default follow-object system lol, you seem to have handled it quite well (then again it isn't that hard of a work around lol); I loved the videos though; it looked awesome dude; have you thought about getting this out on consoles?
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2007, 05:40:25 am »

O_O really? It didn't seem bad at all; last I remember, GM had issues with parallax bgs and its default follow-object system lol, you seem to have handled it quite well (then again it isn't that hard of a work around lol); I loved the videos though; it looked awesome dude; have you thought about getting this out on consoles?

I'm pretty sure this isn't being made in GM.  It's possible that it COULD be accomplished with GM, (and an even better chance that it could be made with Multimedia Fusion...[I'm surprised that no one here seems to use this, BTW]), but I'm don't think this was made with any sort of drag-and-drop program, (not to say that either is strictly that..at all).  I'm not going to scroll through all the pages of this, but I'm guessing C++..?

@TakaM.
I think the game looks fantastic, and the demo played very well all things considered, (i.e. a single artist and a single programmer, and still in the "alpha" stages of development...much better than anything I could do).  My only gripe is that it is based on a pre-existing franchise, (though it is completely different in terms of gameplay), and as such cannot be anything other than freeware.  That is of course, unless the copyrights on the characters and games have expired.  Still, either way it will be a fan-game.  Fan-games seem to be looked down upon within the indie gaming scene.

If I were you I would alter the character art, names, and possibly story slightly in order to make this a bit more profitable for both yourself and the programmer.  It's obvious that quite a bit of work has been put into this and it would be a shame to see it go by unrecognized solely for the reasons mentioned above.

I'm not saying this in a derogatory sense at all...I think that it's, dare I say, EPIC what you've accomplished here.  This is in no way an easy task, especially for just two people.  I believe it will be embraced no matter what form it exists in when it is finished...I just think you might find a bit more recognition and even profit if it were not affiliated with a pre-existing franchise, (not that there's a great deal of people that will recognize it anyway.  I personally played both games and loved them.).

You know what I mean?
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2007, 06:33:41 am »
heh, just to clarify domo, it is being made in GM

And thanks, it's hard to talk about my game without sounding cocky, but the truth is I do think it's a great game.
But, I want to keep it free because I want everyone interested to have no excuse to not play it, and using an official IP ensures that I won't flip-flop and spring some charges on people
That's not the real reason I'm using Twinsen though, the truth is, I'm a huge fan of the old games he was in, and I want him in a new game.
He's a great character in a versatile world, when I was coming up with ideas for the game, they all just fit around him perfectly, plus I have emailed the copyright holder, and he has absolutely no problem with me using the IP (honoured in fact )
And the "fan game stigmata".. well, I don't think it's the same as say a zelda, mario, or sonic fangame, because everyone is aware of those characters, but for Twinsen, there is only a small but loyal fanbase left and they really appreciate a fangame.
The indie community does tend to look down at indie games that use a franchise as a crutch.. But I don't think that's exactly what I've done.
It's more like a spin-off fan game.. if I were using the franchise as a crutch, I'd make it a top down adventure/rpg game with a deep story and complicated controls. But instead I'm using the IP in a different genre, a redesigned world, slightly different characters, new enemies etc.

I really do see where you're coming from, and I definitely appreciate that you think I deserve something for the work, but I really am just happy to have people play the game, and maybe get interested in me or the official games

btw, domo, msn?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 06:37:26 am by .TakaM »
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2007, 11:56:38 am »
  • 笑い男

I'm pretty sure this isn't being made in GM.  It's possible that it COULD be accomplished with GM, (and an even better chance that it could be made with Multimedia Fusion...[I'm surprised that no one here seems to use this, BTW]), but I'm don't think this was made with any sort of drag-and-drop program, (not to say that either is strictly that..at all).  I'm not going to scroll through all the pages of this, but I'm guessing C++..?

if this was made all with drag and drop, then whoever did that must be a genius, a very stupid one O_o
you can use plenty of C++ looking (but not as strict) code in GM lol, just that a LOT of the lower level handling of objects and resources and everything is done for you and it provides a real simple library of features for you to use, of course all of this limits you more and is far less efficient though :/

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2007, 03:38:12 am »
let me show you my HD

yeah, I'm bored and don't really have anything new to show

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2007, 03:39:36 am »
let me show you my HD

yeah, I'm bored and don't really have anything new to show
Man, didn't you leave?
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2007, 07:23:57 am »
Ooh, how'd ya make it all... unpixely?
Hm... I should probably put something here...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2007, 07:25:35 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
looks like Super Eagle or 2xSai or one of those engines... I was trying to get GM to work with those years ago... o.0 howd you manage it? (if thats what you are using :P)
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2007, 01:02:38 pm »
just used a 4xsai exe :P

Still working on it, don't worry!
Here's some new stuff added just tonight :)

the dive looks kinda !@#$%, but don't worry I'll fix it later

BYAAH!
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2007, 01:19:28 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
That's pretty cool, though like you said the dive needs work.
BTW, how does the movie recording work? Does it save them as video or .gif?

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2007, 01:38:24 pm »
it creates a folder with all the frames as bmp, then I just import them into image ready and save as a gif
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2007, 07:37:28 pm »
Cool.  How are you planning on incorporating the diving mechanic into the game?  Will there be environmental challenges and stuff that put it to use?

Oh yeah, this reminds me...did you get that email I sent you a while back about my thoughts on the game?  I hardly ever get on MSN otherwise I would have talked to you about it on there.
You rich !@#$%. I wish I could afford AIDs.
Payback's a !@#$% :P BTW Mamoruanime was here
  • [my deviantART gallery]
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2007, 03:38:59 am »
Cool.  How are you planning on incorporating the diving mechanic into the game?  Will there be environmental challenges and stuff that put it to use?

Oh yeah, this reminds me...did you get that email I sent you a while back about my thoughts on the game?  I hardly ever get on MSN otherwise I would have talked to you about it on there.
yeah, it's already used a little in the first few levels, nothing significant yet tho
and yup, I did get your email, let me know if you ever want to try out the current build

edit-

some playing around with the slopes+slide

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2007, 03:48:25 am »
  • .越//
biiiig mistake... now people can rip off your tiles ;)

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2007, 07:19:54 am »
  • Silly cat!
And I suppose they'll use them in their doomed fan games as well?

Looks good .TakaM, keep up the good work.

Hoffy.
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2007, 09:28:21 am »
eh, if anyone puts in the time to rip all the tiles, I really don't mind.
Plus, as hof said, it's not like they'll finish the game
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2007, 03:14:24 am »
  • Wu tang Forever
Diving looks pretty good so far, but could use some work
As usual I can't wait to hear more on this game :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 73 queries.

anything