Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone ever thought about what movies would be like if cell phones existed  (Read 1954 times)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Has anyone ever thought about what movies would ...
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:10:56 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I mean honestly... Movies like Forrest Gump would end in a heartbeat... He'd be sittin' down gettin ready to tell his story in the beginning, and BOOM! Jenny calls him and is like "Forrest, I'll be there to pick you up in a few minutes". THE END.

Alien would end in a minute too... It'd be like "*ring ring* Hey uh we found a spaceship. Send a ship out here to check it out." "k." *END*

It's amazing how a little device could completely change the course of a movie if they had em'.

Anyone have any movies and !@#$% that would be simplified if cell phones had existed?
Re: Has anyone ever thought about what movies wo...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:18 am »
didn't College Humor make a movie like this?

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:53:02 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
didn't College Humor make a movie like this?

D: did they? I got the concept from the local radio station
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:24 am »
  • *whistle*
Orange did a !@#$%-take of it as well in one of their adverts, pointing out that a traditional "call-booth" thriller wouldn't work given video calling and/or caller ID.

Also, the outcome of Alien really wouldn't have been different... i'm sure the movie was written in mind of long-distance communication (hello, radios?) but the difficulty in communicating over that distance, the problems associated with sending out another ship to meet them, and the implied dystopia-like elements of their society at the time made it seem like the lowest risk option was to look around.

(though they really should've just kept their bloody helmets on)

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:19:21 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Orange did a !@#$%-take of it as well in one of their adverts, pointing out that a traditional "call-booth" thriller wouldn't work given video calling and/or caller ID.

Also, the outcome of Alien really wouldn't have been different... i'm sure the movie was written in mind of long-distance communication (hello, radios?) but the difficulty in communicating over that distance, the problems associated with sending out another ship to meet them, and the implied dystopia-like elements of their society at the time made it seem like the lowest risk option was to look around.

(though they really should've just kept their bloody helmets on)

Well; the issue with that is that when Alien was made (1979), long range communication of that sort was very conceptual and primitive. They didn't communicate using radios, they had "Mother" relay messages back and forth between earth and the Nostromos. Assuming they've achieved proper interplanetary travel, I would imagine they'd have communication satellites, or at least communication probes to make communication very simple. Given the age we live in now, add about 300 years to it and it's easy to assume they'd add cell phone support to those probes.

I don't see why Ripley couldn't call her superior and let them know the situation. Then again, they were responding to a distress beacon, and the science division knew what was out there..................... BONK!

TKM

A 7-ton chicken that would eat Colonel Sanders
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »
  • Chippy is more of a gopher than you'll ever be.

Leonitus: Ah, my beautiful wife. I.... *ring* *ring* er, one moment. Hello?

Persian messenger: I am a messenger for lord Xerxes. He demands Sparta surrender and your people will be safe.

Leonitus: Choose your next words wisely, Persian. Even a king's messenger is responsible for wasting all my daytime minutes...

Persian: You mean, you don't have the unlimited calls and text plan from Cricket wireless? That's madness.

Leonitus: Madness? THIS IS VERIZON!!!! *throws phone into bottomless pit*
What you should be doing is taking off your top and getting killed by Greg Kinear.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:01:27 pm »
  • :3
some movies make use of cellphones... to for example find were someone is

( I didn't read the other posts except the first )
  • daniel-kun
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:08:04 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Even if cell phones existed, I doubt Hollywood would allow them to run that short.

Movie back then would just be like movies now. Long and pointless.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

TKM

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »
Ohh... I got a really !@#$% up one. Stephen King's the mist.

Show content
"Well, there's 4 bullets, and 5 of us. *shoots the grandparents, then the phone rings* hello?" 

'This is the United States military. We just wanted to let you know the giant spider thing is gone and we saved the day. Thanks for waiting.' 

*The kid wakes up* "...Grandma?" 

"Oh !@#$%, I'm not going to prison." *shoots self*
What you should be doing is taking off your top and getting killed by Greg Kinear.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:49:51 pm »
  • *whistle*
Even if cell phones existed, I doubt Hollywood would allow them to run that short.

Movie back then would just be like movies now. Long and pointless.

What? So many movies these days are pathetically short! Like, 80-90 minutes short. Like, why the !@#$% did I just spend £6 on this !@#$% short.

TKM

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 05:43:23 pm »
wow, imagine oldschool godzilla movies if all the little japanese girls were too busy talking on their cell phones and playing DS to run for their lives...

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 06:24:46 am »
  • Xiphirx
What if they didn't have any bars?! D:

Seriously speaking, as Zidane said, Hollywood wouldn't permit it. Not all stories can be resolved with one simple call...
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 06:35:43 am »
Generally speaking, applying the laws of phones to a fictional movie world is invalid to do as every number listed has to be some version of 555-#### or something.  But Forrest Gump was also set in a time period where phones like that were not around prevalently and conveniently, and Forrest Gump was not that bright so the movie would still be slow.

TKM

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 06:59:06 am »
yeah... forest gump was written in 1995, wasn't it? but if i'm not mistaken, gump is telling his story in the 80s. he wasn't carrying any hefty attache case, so he couldn't possibly have had a cell phone on him...

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 07:19:42 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
All I have to say is...
Have you checked the children?
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 08:13:34 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2B9F-GPm0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH2B9F-GPm0</a>
College Humor FTW! :D

TKM

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 03:02:57 pm »
they called for help, and now they're fine! lawlz awesomeness in a can. I guess collegehumor was thinking the exact same thing as that radio station mammy was listening to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 69 queries.

anything