Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual-Core/Quad-Core  (Read 822 times)

Dual-Core/Quad-Core
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:56:40 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Could someone explain what they are? From what I know, of my own knowledge, basicly Dual is double the processor power, and Quad is triple.

I wanna know this because I MIGHT be getting this new computer for Christmas, a Dell XPS 420.

Here are the specs.

All that for $1,599
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
Re: Dual-Core/Quad-Core
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:03:54 am »
  • Fear my Blades
Quad=quadruple >_>

Having a dual-core processor doesn't really mean your computer will be twice as fast, it's like having 2 processors, but unfortunately a single process can only run on 1 processor at a time.  You'll be able to run more processes at a time faster, and some newer programs and a lot of newer games are splitting their work up into multiple processes so they can take better advantage of multi-core computers.  If you hear a game has a threaded physics engine or something like that, it probably means it's running on a separate process from the main game, and therefore might take advantage of the extra core.

Basically older programs won't benefit much from them besides that you'll be able to run more of them at a time, but newer ones are starting to take better advantage of them to run faster.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 04:06:22 am by Atrius »

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:07:22 am »
Quad=quadruple >_>

Having a dual-core processor doesn't really mean your computer will be twice as fast, it's like having 2 processors, but unfortunately a single process can only run on 1 processor at a time.  You'll be able to run more processes at a time faster, and some newer programs and a lot of newer games are splitting their work up into multiple processes so they can take better advantage of multi-core computers.  If you hear a game has a threaded physics engine or something like that, it probably means it's running on a separate process from the main game, and therefore takes advantage of the extra core.

Basically older programs won't benefit much from them besides that you'll be able to run more of them at a time, but newer ones are starting to take better advantage of them to run faster.

Exactly what I was about to type :( -- and damn thats a good price.

Though (in my opinion) you may want to re-think vista. But at the same time if your a gamer, you may need it for newer games.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 04:11:02 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Oops I meant Quadruple, my mistake :P

Anyways, thanks for the response, that clears things up for me :D

Anyways, about Vista, its the only thing that comes with it, there was no option for XP D:

Plus I might as well keep it, as I am a gamer :P And I'll prolly be wanting to play Halo 2 and such.

Now, hopefully I can afford this >_<
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

alirazaq

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:20:58 am »
quad is quadruple.

amd is making a tri core processor.
my cousin who works at intel said they are making a like 72 core processor.
then he said they are not like full processors they are like ps3's.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 04:41:32 am »
quad is quadruple.

amd is making a tri core processor.
my cousin who works at intel said they are making a like 72 core processor.
then he said they are not like full processors they are like ps3's.

Now that they've figured out how to do the core thing, it wont be difficult to shove a ton of cores into one chip. I believe AMD shipped a monster of a machine to some lab recently, i don't remember the specifications off hand but it was insane. The PS3's technology is an entirely different design and concept.. along with a different structure (ie, windows wouldn't run on it natively)

I'm sure Vista will be fine for you.. It can just be an ass sometimes.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:58:31 am »
  • b e p i s
First, do some research and build your own system. Buying a machine from a vendor like Dell is an enormous rip-off and comes without the personal touch a custom-built system has.

Secondly, most OSes take advantage now of multiple processors/cores. Also, most current games take advantage of multi-core CPUs. For example, BioShock, Crysis, UT3, and CoD4 all take advantage of multi-core processes.

Also, since the Core 2 Quad is 64-bit, you may want to get XP64 or Vista 64 in order to take example of 64-bit processing, which allows you to address more memory (I think the limit is 2 GB for 32-bit?) and enables certain extra features. For example, Far Cry's 64-bit mode enables enhanced graphical features.

However, the problem with 64-bit versions of Windows is that you may experience driver incompatibilities as well as trouble running older games and some programs.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 51 queries.