Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you make Online Games  (Read 6754 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
How do you make Online Games
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:54:47 pm »
What the title says. You know, like there is one server and you log in as someone and you play as them?

EG

Username-Laigonaz
Place-Point in Lustria
Items-Sagerterian,Shield

Then when you log in, you go to that position and have that name and items.

GM6.1+What else do I need?

Please and thanks.
  • Phoenix Heart
Re: How do you make Online Games
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:58:45 pm »
  • =/
 I don't know much about online games but I can give a bit of help. To make a person end up in their same place, with their name, etc you need to create an ini file and send it to the server. (With basic things, name, all skills at zero, etc) Everytime you get up a skill you re-download the ini file, change the variables inside it according to your skills, etc then send it back to the server.

I may be telling you the long and hard away on how to do this, I'm not really sure.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:01:02 pm »
Ok, I know nothing of ini file or online games. Please can someone tell about them?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 02:17:41 pm »
How about you try the help file or google before asking?

http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/826 <-- One that explains the use of ini files in an RPG game.

Quote from: Gamemaker help file
To pass certain parameter settings to programs a standard mechanism is the use of INI files. INI files contain sections and each section contains a number of name-value pairs. For example, here is a typical INI file:

[Form]
Top=100
Left=100
Caption=The best game ever
[Game]
MaxScore=12324

This file contains two sections, one call Form and the other called Game. The first section contains three pairs. The first two have a real value while the third has a string value. Such INI files are easy to create and change. The following functions exist in Game Maker to read and change the data in them.

ini_open(name) Opens the INI file with the given name. The ini file must be stored in the same folder as the game!
ini_close() Closes the currently open INI file.
ini_read_string(section,key,default) Reads the string value of the indicated key in the indicated section. When the key or section does not exist the default value is returned.
ini_read_real(section,key,default) Reads the real value of the indicated key in the indicated section. When the key or section does not exist the default value is returned.
ini_write_string(section,key,value) Writes the string value for the indicated key in the indicated section.
ini_write_real(section,key,value) Writes the real value for the indicated key in the indicated section.
ini_key_exists(section,key) Returns whether the indicated key exists in the indicated section.
ini_section_exists(section) Returns whether the indicated section exists.
ini_key_delete(section,key) Deletes the indicated key from the indicated section.
ini_section_delete(section) Deletes the indicated section.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 05:05:13 pm »
Thanks, now how do you write it to the server? How do you get a server? How do you make an online game?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:09:11 pm »
RTFM, please.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 05:17:17 pm »
  • Minalien
yes, I know for a fact that the GM manual has information dealing with online programming, and (if I'm not mistaken) there's also even a tutorial on GM's website dealing with online game programming with GM.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 06:34:54 pm »
Okay, I will have a look, what about erm servers, know any good FREE ones?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 06:48:49 pm »
  • Minalien
Game servers? The chances of you finding somebody willing to host your game server for free are slim to none
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 07:08:17 pm »
Never mind, doesn't matter
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 03:40:59 pm »
  • Am i here or am i not?...
woth?.................ini-files rocks!!! 8)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 04:15:09 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
Well...  If you have no idea at all, then I don't think you're ready....  You should probably try a few practice online games before going into anything too elaborate.

I always start out by figuring out exactly what information needs to be sent between the client & server, then I go about figuring out the best way to format that data.  If you're talking MMORPG, this is going to get pretty complex.  You'll probably want to use a DLL so you can get some added speed you'll need.

The client has to be able to send and recieve any data that the players should be able to know about each other.  Who they are, where they, what they're doing, what they look like (if changeable), any chat messages, anything that more than the single player should know about.  It's also important to know when this data needs to be updated or not: the players name only needs sent once, position needs updated only when it changes (less often even to reduce bandwith consumption), basically only send information when it changes.  Though you may want to have the client ping the server every once in a while so it can drop connections that are inactive due to an unexpected disconnection.

The server is where the multiplayer coding gets really complex.  It has to recieve all the data the players are sending out, then redistribute it to the other players that need it, handle Log-ins/outs, disconnect inactive connections, and try to do all that for every player in a timely manner, even if theres too much information for it to handle.

For the actual data being sent, I tend to use a format where the first character is an identifier saying what kind of data it is.  When the server gets the data it puts the players ID (which should be assigned when they log in) before it so that the other players that recieve it know who it came from.  It isn't neccesary for the client to put their ID on data they send since it's all sent to the server, and it knows who its coming from by the connection it arrives on.

Anyway... Thats just a brief overview, I may have left some things out since it's been a while since I've done any MMORPG coding.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 04:17:06 pm »
How do you make a ini fil?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 04:24:31 pm »
  • Fear my Blades
That would be how the server stores all the data not in memory, player save information and other stuff like that.

Soulrivers gave you all the commands, theres really not much I could add.

I've done it (sorta)!  Bloom Lighting in GameMaker, and 3D mode too!  Check out the awesome Screen Saver.
  • Kousou Games
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 04:37:39 pm »
  • [sic]
How do you make a ini fil?
Obviously, you basically just want to make an online multiplayer game but have no idea where to start. There's no way you'll be able to jump into it like this. Download the GM example of multiplayer games, study how it works, find some tutorials, etc. Your first step for every questions should always be an official or pre-written source, ie the GM help file, a tutorial, Wikpedia even (could've answered your INI questions).

If you need help then, ask here. Better yet, though, would be to ask at the GMC, as they'd probably know more about it (and be more willing to help :P )

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 05:05:47 pm »
I need...

1-A server (Free and good))(Whoever does this will be credited for life and gets to be a Knight[Lizard Games])
2-A starting engine (Movement, getting a connection, talking to others, etc)(Whoever does this will be credited for life and gets to be a Knight[Lizard Games])
3-How to make an Ini file for EACH player.
4-If no server can be provided, another way to make a connection

I am going to make a mini project while we are getting the sounds ready for ALT-RD.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:15:19 pm by Laigonaz »
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 08:51:51 pm »
  • Am i here or am i not?...
if you have an onlinegame youll find a "ini"file on your comp(most times...)
ask me maby i know something...but i am tierd...

and my comp is sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping(oh...i mean dead fore 2000 years...)but im fine... ;)(ive saved a lot on 30 cds ore something...)
anyway...ill try to help with anything!! ;D
and i think ill get help from you making an onlinegame(fore mine war onlie...)

PS:PM me woth youre thinking of...

dont ya think i am using"..."to much....

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 09:15:05 pm »
Basically before the final battle (Atez and Tzen verus Yikar)(For those who don't know, this is before RD.), there was a war going on between all races, good and evil across the land.

A group of warriors spread out to bring the forces of good together

Atez
Tzen

and

Tearclan(Yep, he was around this time too, 200 years before Laigonaz is born, WOW!)

So basically you go across the land stopping the evil, helping people and eventually the GREAT WAR occurs.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 03:48:44 am »
Go to GMC (http://forums.gamemaker.nl) and search for osMMORPG and gmMMORPG. in WIP section and Game Creations section. Those give help with SOC2 MMO work. I personally use 3.1 and made my code from scratch, but those examples will help.
the a o d c

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 06:40:32 am »
I shall have a very good look.
  • Phoenix Heart
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 93 queries.

anything