Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Online Games: Sessions or one big bang?

Sessions
- 3 (20%)
"One big bang"
- 8 (53.3%)
Either... I like pie
- 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online Games: Sessions or one big bang?  (Read 2982 times)

Online Games: Sessions or one big bang?
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:27:29 am »
Sessions:
You have a server list, where you can create and/or join a party.

One big bang:
One server, thats it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:14:02 am by AoDC »
the a o d c
Re: Online Games: Sessions or one big bang?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:32:50 am »
  • =/
 If you think about it, if this is for OoL, how many players will we have online at once? Is 40 really enough to have multiple servers for? I think putting everyone in one server is alot better considering the amount but if you ever got some real good attention....

gm112

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:35:21 am »
One big bang! Cmon, Aaron. OOL is bound to become popular if someone slaps it on digg. The game is still in beta stages anyways so obviously you won't have much. I bet if you went and advertised the game on other sites before public beta testing, you would get over 100 players.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:54 am »
  • srsly, <3
How many players will the OoL server be able to handle though? If it can only take say 100 players at once(I'm fairly sure this isn't the case), and there are more than 100 players wanting to play, it would be wise to have another server. But if the single server will be able to handle the maximum amount of players that will ever play at one time, then single it is. But I would suggest, if possible, to make it possible to add a second (or more) server in the future.
avvy made by: TheBlackMarket
  • my site
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 06:15:52 am »
The OoL server can handle any amount... I assume.

If you think about it, if this is for OoL, how many players will we have online at once? Is 40 really enough to have multiple servers for? I think putting everyone in one server is alot better considering the amount but if you ever got some real good attention....
I guess I agree.

One big bang! Cmon, Aaron. OOL is bound to become popular if someone slaps it on digg. The game is still in beta stages anyways so obviously you won't have much. I bet if you went and advertised the game on other sites before public beta testing, you would get over 100 players.
It will never get Digged.

the a o d c
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:23:06 am »
Use a 2-tier server tree, have the ones at the top deal with player related stuff and the ones at the bottom deal with game releated stuff. This allows you to have a persistent world with all game logic being spread over a whole server farm.

Or you could just cut the world up into zones and have each server responsable for looking after each player in a particular zone and for transfering them to another server when they move into another.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:27:14 am »
  • If not now, when?
Depending on how good your server is designed, and of course other features (such as server power), you can hold thousands of connections on the same machine. I can't really give good advice from this standpoint. People will dislike your game if you are shoving thousands of people into a small area.. People will dislike your game if you are shoving 10 different people every time for a temporary game...

It all depends on your game and your game play...
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 11:30:44 am »
Depending on how good your server is designed, and of course other features (such as server power), you can hold thousands of connections on the same machine. I can't really give good advice from this standpoint. People will dislike your game if you are shoving thousands of people into a small area.. People will dislike your game if you are shoving 10 different people every time for a temporary game...

It all depends on your game and your game play...

You COULD, though that would be a very bad idea, Running thousands of players on the same server risks all kinds of shiz if an error occurs / game logic takes to long / ... etc. Its best to spread out the responsiblity over a server farm, one computer is really not ideally equipped to handle so many. Especially if its been done in GM which is relatively slow.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
in general, i would go with sessions to prevent lag, but since this is a 2d fan game, one big bang

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 06:14:01 pm »
It depends on the kind of game, if it is something like a MMORPG, a single server is enough. However, if it's an online game like Counter Strike, Gunbound, Worms or anything like that it'll have to go with sessions.
However, coming from you I assume this is for OoL ;) There is no point in making a sessions system for a MMORPG... A big single world/server ;D

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:04:02 pm »
  • .越//
I like pies...

well, since the best way would be: One Big Bang, with upcoming sessions...

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 09:14:52 pm »
Do it like Guild Wars: in town, you see everyone, but in areas with monsters, you can only see your party members.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 09:22:21 pm »
  • .越//
Do it like Guild Wars: in town, you see everyone, but in areas with monsters, you can only see your party members.

look at Lord of the Rings Online... there is such a thing for story made

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 10:51:19 pm »
Big Bang. You are not going to go big with this - if you think you are, you dream might as well crash now, hehe. This'll be small enough to be good with 1 server. Of course I think that instances are always a good idea, but with maybe 10-20 people online as once as an average, 1 server should be plenty.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 11:01:47 pm »
sessions, because you can limit the amount of people on a server to say, 500 or 1000 per world (not screen). because imagine trying to play in an area where you cant even see your own person!
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 12:36:54 am »
Just a few notes.

There are no FPS issues with GameMaker.
I do not ever expect to get more than 15 people online.

I just wanted to see if somebody wanted to for eg, create a lobby looking for some people to kill a boss. I guess an in-game shout function might fix that...
the a o d c
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 72 queries.

anything