Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: ZFGC Style Development  (Read 86086 times)

Mirby

Drifter
Re: ZFGC Style Development
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2010, 09:25:35 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I really wish people would stop posting in old topics. Meh. I hope it's picked back up too, TomPel. This was cool when it was active.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2010, 09:28:15 pm »
Well they can, because this topic is stickied. Thus it kind of is allowed.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »
Well I know that! Yeesh... still, anyone want to pick up where this left off?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2010, 02:34:11 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I did always like this style. I want to contribute more, but I kinda suck at spriting (case in point, see my heart containers, table, levers from earlier in the topic)
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2010, 02:45:35 am »
Depending on the sustainability of this band-wagoning, if there were a few people working on this it could be a Community Project in and of itself; with the benefits that entails - such as access to the news feeds to make mention of new progress, maybe a fancy green Developer rank, a board in which to post development topics, etc.

Although, such endeavors require sufficient updates; yeah, I know the GM Minish Cap Engine is a little slow with that right now, but the view code is almost fully finalized for dungeons and there are a whole other bunch of features in the works. I've also brought up in the staff area, as well as it has been mentioned on the forum by others (I think zeemo71 and Ryuza), that having something which focused on graphics would be alright - in those examples it was specifically Minish Cap style though.

Another point being though that just because an idea sounds good doesn't make it work, there has to be users working behind it who are able to release progress that is of a sufficient quality. To that end, the ZFGC-style is easier because in some ways it is more primitive, while Minish Cap has more details. Minish Cap also has it to where anything made would be a custom or an edit - the main stuff is already made.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:43 am »
I dunno, I'm game to see this come back... Not sure of my spriting ability in this style, but sure, I'll help. Where do I sign up?
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2010, 02:51:55 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
In my opinoin, regardless if this is doomed to succeed or fail, it is definatly worth a second chance. So likewise, count me in also.
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2010, 03:49:13 am »
If this is brought back, someone else would need to head it up and start a new topic.  There are sprites all over the place that are not included in the first page.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2010, 04:34:28 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
     The problem I'm seeing is that, all of the sprites/tiles are not here; some are missing (i.e. some of the ones in the mock up are only in the mock up). It seems like there are random sprites scattered about; some are great, some need work, and some are not worthy. Also, it seems difficult to keep track of who has sprited what (for credit reasons).
     If someone could pull off organizing and leading this project in an efficient manner, that would be awesome. I'd love to try my hand at spriting some stuff myself, but we really need to get things organized a bit first. I have some ideas on how to do this.

The first thing that I think we need to do is get all of the latest sprites together in one place, then we need to categorize them somehow. My idea for categorizing them is to have different sections for the sprites and tiles, depending on how complete they are. I will call these "Completion Grades" (a.k.a. CG). The smaller the number, the more complete it is, with 1 being totally complete. The bigger the number, the less complete it is, with 4 being the earliest stage of development.

THE 4 "COMPLETION GRADE" LEVELS:

• [CG 1] Completed Sprites/Tiles:
    These would be the sprites/tiles that have been decided to be completed; matching the ZFGC Style. There needs to be some kind of order on how it is decided if sprites meet the standards (also, what are the standards?).

• [CG 2] WIP Sprites/Tiles
    These would be graphics that match the ZFGC Style (or extremely close), but may need a few minor adjustments, more frames for an animation, more content, slight perspective changes, etc.

• [CG 3] Concept Sprites/Tiles
    These would be more of just "drawn ideas" that are made by people that have a cool idea, or maybe they just can't quite get the ZFGC Style right. Someone else with more skill could take one of these sprites and revise it and get it to match the ZFGC Style.

Why this is a good idea: This way, pretty much everyone can pitch in. You don't have to be a killer spriter like DJvenom to contribute.

• [CG 4] Sprite/Tile Pending List
    If a spriter doesn't see a CG 3 or 2 that they want to try to get up to the next CG level, they could check this section for sprites that haven't been started yet, to see if there's something they would like to try to sprite in ZFGC Style. Basically, this would be a list of sprites/tiles that have been decided should be sprited, but haven't been started on yet. No graphics here, just names and possibly descriptions if need be (if the name doesn't identify what it is).

Why this is a good idea: This way, the graphics that are being sprited aren't as random. There is a list of sprites that people have decided they think should be done in ZFGC Style. As to how people choose what goes on the list or not, I'm not sure. As always, there has to be some kind of leader (or small group of leaders) to make a final decision.

KEEPING A CONSISTENT GRAPHICS FORMAT/STYLE:

It would be great if someone posted a "how-to" on the ZFGC Zelda graphic style. Just giving a few tips on how to match the ZFGC Style properly. A reason for this would be to help avoid pillow shading, disproportionate graphics, too much or too little color use, etc.

I'm all for starting this up again because it's just not right to have these amazing sprites go to waste. NEED MOAR! ^,^

EDIT: Just realized credit probably doesn't matter, as stated in the first post (credit goes to ZFGC as a whole ;p).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:44:04 am by FrozenFire »
  • My Music
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2010, 07:28:01 am »
I think you should also have some quality control people that can judge whether a graphic can be added to the complete set. That they are complimentary enough and fitting with the style.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:33 pm »
YAY! A necropost actually led to something useful! I think I had a hand in this too... /gloat

Really though, if this were to be continued, I think it would help most fan games have a unique style instead of OH THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE LTTP! THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE MC! THIS ONE LOOKS LIKE AN ORACLES GAME! etc.

• Mirby Studios
ZFGC-Style-2010
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:40 am »
The last topic was dead for a while now. Then turned into an article about making this Topic, so we created it here. For the old topic, click here --> http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=16144.

This is for refining the ZFGC style that is completly custom. However, please remember that credit for this style goes to ZFGC as a whole and is ment to be used by the community of ZFGC. If you submit something and it reaches CG 1, it is then belonging to ZFGC. If it is in CG 2, 3, 4, or not on the list, then credit goes to its creator. Before you offor a sprite, please purpose it first.

This is the current mockup that shows an example of the style.

And this is the style's color pallet.

Okay, this is the development requirment list that FrozenFire purposed.

THE 4 "COMPLETION GRADE" LEVELS:

• [CG 1] Completed Sprites/Tiles:
    These would be the sprites/tiles that have been decided to be completed; matching the ZFGC Style. There needs to be some kind of order on how it is decided if sprites meet the standards (also, what are the standards?).

• [CG 2] WIP Sprites/Tiles
    These would be graphics that match the ZFGC Style (or extremely close), but may need a few minor adjustments, more frames for an animation, more content, slight perspective changes, etc.

• [CG 3] Concept Sprites/Tiles
    These would be more of just "drawn ideas" that are made by people that have a cool idea, or maybe they just can't quite get the ZFGC Style right. Someone else with more skill could take one of these sprites and revise it and get it to match the ZFGC Style.

Why this is a good idea: This way, pretty much everyone can pitch in. You don't have to be a killer spriter like DJvenom to contribute.

• [CG 4] Sprite/Tile Pending List
    If a spriter doesn't see a CG 3 or 2 that they want to try to get up to the next CG level, they could check this section for sprites that haven't been started yet, to see if there's something they would like to try to sprite in ZFGC Style. Basically, this would be a list of sprites/tiles that have been decided should be sprited, but haven't been started on yet. No graphics here, just names and possibly descriptions if need be (if the name doesn't identify what it is).

Why this is a good idea: This way, the graphics that are being sprited aren't as random. There is a list of sprites that people have decided they think should be done in ZFGC Style. As to how people choose what goes on the list or not, I'm not sure. As always, there has to be some kind of leader (or small group of leaders) to make a final decision.

Here is what we have upto this point.

CG 1

CG 2

CG 3

CG 4

• Goron Link
  • Zora Link

This section is for Hylian Link development.

Adult:

Young:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:17:07 am by Random »
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2010, 07:21:07 am »
Very well, I moved this topic to --> http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36205 <-- and I organised the sprites the way FrozenFire did. A lot of those images are in CG2 becuase I'm not sure if we decided on using it or not. But serously, if we are going to use specific sprites, it seems that we are working on a game, not a style. I mean, in my opinoin a style should show a list of sprites you can choose from. What if person A wants to use Deku Scrub1 but Person B wants to use Deku Scrub2?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2010, 07:53:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Honestly I don't know if you should have taken that responsibility on yourself. Your intentions are to make the resources readily accessible to other users, but the problem is--- the style was never finished. I'd personally think it'd be more appropriate to ask .TakaM what his intentions are with the style, since it's (lets face it) pretty much his baby :p Not really sure if he would want it spread out and mix-matched with other styles.
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2010, 08:09:51 pm »
There can be multiple versions of an enemy I'd think so long as they are each one has quality and is made in a way which reflects the style; otherwise the better version of something for that style is just what is gone with. Otherwise though as I said, if there are enough users who want to continue this style as a community project I could make the arrangements so that such would be better facilitated; .TakaM if I remember right had a hatred for me so I don't know if I should ask him or even if matters in the sense that the project is of ZFGC with other users who have contributed to it and .TakaM handed part of the management off to BrokenArrow who doesn't happen to be around anymore.
« Reply #175 on: March 29, 2010, 08:39:35 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't BrokenArrow active a week ago? And acording to the first sentance of the first page of this topic, it says .TakaM gavee everything to BrokenArrow.
« Reply #176 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:55 pm »
BrokenArrow was online at that time, but he hasn't posted anything since 2007 which was a long ass time ago; although if sent a PM he'd probably see it and maybe respond. I don't know if the semantics of the words really mean that .TakaM gave it and all its "rights" away to BrokenArrow but more so that he transfered management.
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2010, 10:18:46 pm »
I alreadt sent the PM on my last post here. ;)

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: ZFGC-Style-2010
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2010, 04:42:00 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
best of luck with this
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:50:50 am by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: ZFGC-Style-2010
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:51 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I talked to .TakaM about it a little bit today; in regards to BrokenArrow he said
"I made him in charge of the zfgc topic".

I would almost assume you should simply quote your post here and post it as a new one in the existing ZFGC style thread, and see if you can spark up more development on it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 73 queries.