Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Ubuntu - My laptop's wireless card won't work with it.  (Read 1100 times)

Solarrain4

The Blurred Line In-Between
Problem with Ubuntu - My laptop's wireless card ...
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:42:36 am »
  • ...Is it recording?
Title. I can't get my laptop's wireless card to work when I use Ubuntu. Any ideas?
06/29/2014 - forever and always <3
Re: Problem with Ubuntu - My laptop's wireless c...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:10:14 am »
There are problems with Wireless Internet and Ubuntu, your best bet is to try their community support forum.

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/webforums
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 03:07:10 pm »
  • IBV
What wireless card do you have?

Some of them only have proprietary drivers for them (such as the Intel ones). This means you'll have to activate the "restricted drivers" for them to work. Note however that you should only do this is you are prepared to give up your freedom, because part of these drivers are NOT open source or free software.
My signature is empty.

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:57:17 am »
  • hungry..
Yeah I've tried this, I couldn't get my PC to work with Ubuntu on wireless, or my Mac with a USB Wireless stick, you're better off just sticking to Ethernet.
  • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:05:08 pm »
  • that old name
It's absolutely critical to know your wireless card, as this is most definitely a driver issue.

Yeah I've tried this, I couldn't get my PC to work with Ubuntu on wireless, or my Mac with a USB Wireless stick, you're better off just sticking to Ethernet.
sure: don't even know if a working driver is out there; but !@#$% that, just forget you even have a wireless card. Surely Ubuntu would suck at supporting it ..>__>. Do you mean "better off sticking to Ethernet", or "better off sticking to an OS that supports your hardware". I'll tell you, my hardware is not disposable.

When applicable drivers are availible, Ubuntu doesn't do a half bad job of managing Wireless Networks.. In fact, I've tried it out on two PC's using wireless(1desktop/1laptop). [even though I do not actively use Ubuntu, or Linux for that matter - not now]
Not all Wireless hardware is built the same; not all of it can be covered by one OS.

Despite if it's proprietary or not, just use it (assuming it works); I mean, ..duh, you've already bought the card =P - unless you plan on buying another Network card. [and for no other reason, but supporting an obscure belief (once again, assuming it works)]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:18:54 pm by Sterlin254 »
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 04:41:05 pm »
  • IBV
Despite if it's proprietary or not, just use it (assuming it works); I mean, ..duh, you've already bought the card =P - unless you plan on buying another Network card. [and for no other reason, but supporting an obscure belief (once again, assuming it works)]

Exactly. So you SHOULD be able to get free/open drivers for it. It's pretty sad when the vendors won't even give out information on how to write drivers for their hardware. And that's the main problem that you can't find open drivers for a certain hardware. You see, it's not really important that the hardware vendor writes a driver for you, unless you've bought software support from them, but they ought to release information so that someone else, or yourself can write a driver (and then, hopefully make it free/open so the whole community can benefit).

Having bought the card is not a reason to use proprietary drivers. If you can, you should get hardware that supports FLOSS in one way or another. If there are free/open drivers as an alternative to proprietary drivers, you should use them instead even though they are technically inferior (instead they are ethically superior which is more important). Of course, everyone can choose what they think is right individually, but using proprietary software will always be unethical to the community as a whole.

I recommend the WiFi USB-thingies that use the ZyDAS chip. They have an free/open driver called zd1211 and it's compiled into the newer kernels (which means "things just work"). Zonet ZEW2501 is an example using this chip (I have one myself).

For laptops, you often have Intel Centrino hardware which means you have an Intel Wireless PRO or something. Some of the drivers for these (at least the newer ones, like 3945; I have one of these) use partly proprietary drivers (the firmware). Intel claims this is because they want to make sure users use the wireless legally (i.e. what frequency band you use etc.), but that's pretty weird if you ask me since there are tons of other wireless cards which does allow you to do that (because the responsibility would be on the user). Using the non-free things here is a gray area though because the driver itself is free.

Like I said before you should tell us what wireless chip/card you use. I can help more then.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 06:40:23 am »
On my laptop (which I'm using now), I have a BCM4138 wireless card (or whatever it's called). And it turns out that it's one of the worst cards as far as GNU/Linux compatibility goes. I spent over a week trying to get it to work fiddling around with Ndiswrapper and stuff, but I eventually just gave up and got another ethernet cable. I still have to use Windoze whenever I'm not at home. :'(

If it takes you more than a few days, it would probably be best to buy a new card (make sure it's compatible, though).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 50 queries.

anything