Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: you're not crazy if you like mindlessly killing in games.  (Read 1882 times)

you're not crazy if you like mindlessly killing ...
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:54:10 am »
Read this article.

My parents are always on about how if I play violent video games where I kill people (example), then I have more of a chance to murder people in real life. This is why they do not like violent games, especially the most realistically gory ones, and don't want me playing them.

Well, now I have something to show them.

True? Discuss.
Re: you're not crazy if you like mindlessly kill...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 01:27:55 am »
  • n___n
Kill your parents. That'll show 'em.

The only people who kill in real life cuz of killing in videogames are the people who are !@#$% up to begin with.
yo yo yo

araknid_kid@yahoo.com = email and MSN
HellsExecutionR = AIM
araknidude = XBox Live gamertag
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 02:39:36 am »
True.
IMO, videogames are like sports: they don't stimulate your aggressiveness (usually), they stimulate more your strategy, competitiveness, ability to think fast, etc..

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 02:42:20 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
The only people who kill in real life cuz of killing in videogames are the people who are !@#$% up to begin with.

Even then, I doubt that. Video games are blamed because the killing is interactive. Also, I cry !@#$% over the whole deal...they've been claiming that a connection existed since the NES days.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 03:11:11 am »
  • SHOOP DA WOOP
Even then, I doubt that. Video games are blamed because everyone needs something to blame. Also, I cry !@#$% over the whole deal...they've been claiming that a connection existed since the NES days.
Fixed.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 06:21:48 am »
  • Captain Banana
Parents understand nothing, you can let them read numerous articles, "See? See? Right here, it says, 'killing in games does not affect people' ", but they won't believe it. They grew up without videogames, so they know nothing about it. Of course there are some exceptions, and you're a lucky man if one of your parents likes gaming.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:31:49 am »
  • Silly cat!
I don't mind killing in games, just as long as that person or monster - or cross between the two - is trying to kill me. But, I do find that in games like GTA and what not, I refrain from hurting innocents... even in games, their cries just make me feel bad for hurting them :/.

Even though I think it's ridiculous that games get blamed for murders committed by adolescents and young adults, I do believe that in some cases, killing in video games might not create the need to murder, though it might enhance it. It just depends on the person who plays them... if someone finds too much joy in killing people in a game, they might have a problem; but that problem definitely did not originate from the game itself.

That's my opinion on the matter, anyway.

Hoffy.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 05:07:24 pm »
Meh, I already knew this.  Just because I play Wii sports sometimes doesn't mean I'm active enough to play any real sports; I play Zelda, but that doesn't inspire me to find a sword and kill every other living creature and claiming them to be evil, etc.
- Click to go to thread
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:06:36 am »
Meh, I already knew this.  Just because I play Wii sports sometimes doesn't mean I'm active enough to play any real sports; I play Zelda, but that doesn't inspire me to find a sword and kill every other living creature and claiming them to be evil, etc.
But I think this was more about realistic shooting games where you actually shoot people and blood spews everywhere, etc.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 01:10:07 am »
I release my anger sometimes by playing a First Person Shooter. That's better then breaking stuff because you are angry like some people do.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 01:39:19 am »
I release my anger sometimes by playing a First Person Shooter. That's better then breaking stuff because you are angry like some people do.
Why not "sit and wait it [the anger] go away"? :P
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 01:55:12 am »
Why not "sit and wait it [the anger] go away"? :P
I get on my bike and around for a bit. But I am hardly ever angry so.... Back on topic....
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 04:36:11 am »
But I think this was more about realistic shooting games where you actually shoot people and blood spews everywhere, etc.

Is there really a difference?  You can't do one just as much as you can the other, because you won't be able to get away with shooting anyone.  That should be enough to discourage any normal people who are in their right mind.
- Click to go to thread

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 11:10:02 pm »
  • :3
My view:

People kill people in games because they know they're not real, and it's fun because it's like you're living out an action movie when all the police chase you. It's nothing more than a more mature form of the imaginary games you play as children. They also do it, not to rebel, but to play around and experiment, and see what happens.

The violence doesn't desensitize you- because instincts and feelings can't be numbed down- well maybe the latter, but never the former. When a huge catastrophe that affects millions happens around you, you're not prepared- you're scared. You panic, worry, etc. Basically in games you do what you want because it's guilt-free, there's no consequences, it's not real, and it's pretty much Groundhog Day because whatever happens, you just start all over again. The "people" basically dummies or models used for you to practise on. Not for real life- but for in the game- because moving your thumbs around a small area isn't going to make you be able to beat a man to death, or stab him, or get your hands on a variety of heavy weaponry. Everyone knows games do not equate to real life.

Like I said before- it's just Groundhog Day the Video Game. That's it. No fancy psychology or anything. Just a 15 year-old schoolboy who plays games, and sat down, and took a few minutes to think about playing GTA, and to use common sense. There you have it. I can't believe taxpayer's money is wasted on this !@#$%.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:45:42 pm by Kyubi »
Gannon-banned brother.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 61 queries.