Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: China Fakes Opening Ceremony - Girl Too Ugly  (Read 3155 times)

China Fakes Opening Ceremony - Girl Too Ugly
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:45:36 am »
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/12/oly.kids/index.html?iref=24hours

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- A little girl and her song captivated millions of viewers during the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics. But what they saw was not what they heard.
Lin Miaoke was the darling of the Olympic opening ceremony, but it turns out she was lip-syncing.

Lin Miaoke was the darling of the Olympic opening ceremony, but it turns out she was lip-syncing.

Games organizers confirm that Lin Miaoke, who performed "Ode to the Motherland" as China's flag was paraded Friday into Beijing's National Stadium, was not singing at all.

Lin was lip-syncing to the sound of another girl, 7-year-old Yang Peiyi, who was heard but not seen, apparently because she was deemed not cute enough.

"The reason was for the national interest," said Chen Qigang, the ceremony's musical director, in a state radio interview. "The child on camera should be flawless in image, internal feeling and expression. ... Lin Miaoke is excellent in those aspects."

The decision was made at the highest levels, Chen said.

"We had to do it," he said. "We'd been through several inspections. They're all very strict. When we rehearsed at the spot, there were several spectators from various divisions, especially leaders from the Politburo, who gave the opinion it must change." Video Watch a Chinese official defend the move »

Few who watched the Olympic ceremony realized the deception. "Tiny singer wins heart of nation," read the headline in Tuesday's China Daily newspaper.

"Lin Miaoke might be only 9 years old but she is well on her way to becoming a star, thanks to her heartwarming performance," the article gushed -- without mentioning she never sang a note.

But as word has gotten out on the Internet, some Chinese bloggers are outraged.

"If you're not good-looking, no matter how well you sing, you'll not be onstage. Do you know you're twisting a whole generation?" read one comment.
advertisement

Another said, "If foreigners found out, they'd think we can't even find a girl who is good at both." iReport.com: Share your Olympic spirit

As for Yang Peiyi, she's been quoted as saying she was honored to have had a role in the opening ceremony, even though few realized just how big her part really was

Girl that was on stage:

Girl they said wasn't cute enough:

Both the girls are cute, This is messed up.

Re: China Fakes Opening Ceremony - Girl Too Ugly
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:49:20 am »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)
They're little kids. Why does it matter how they look? Yeesh. >:/
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:49:41 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It was kind of obvious to just about everyone watching she was lip syncing anyway...
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:02:54 am »
Hey, this offends me, I'm ugly.  But really, the opening ceremony was good enough, I do not care that parts of it were lies.  Every girl is a butter face to someone.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:05:55 am »
  • Resident Bum
They're little kids. Why does it matter how they look? Yeesh. >:/
its because asians are pedophiles :P
jk

i do agree with china that the girl on stage is cuter though... but that doesnt mean the other one isnt.

so did the cuter one sound like a cat being strangled?

mix the girls, and its win/win
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:33:35 am »
  • *whistle*
I'll agree, good voice girl was ugly.

They shoulda had good voice girl on stage and have her sing, or have 'em both sing and be on stage, but not focus the camera on ugly, and no-one would've known.

But, hey, apparently both of them were honoured to do it, so who are we to complain? :/
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:56 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
It's because China has 5 people to do the most simple tasks. When a job needs to be done in China, they throw a thousand-or-so people at it. Why not singing as well? I'm surprised there wasn't another girl who did stunts, and one more to spin a plate on her head.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:51 pm »
Think how that little girl will feel when she grows up.

"Too ugly for the Olympic opening ceremony"

Makes me feel sad :( I dont think she's ugly at all.

There really are some cruel people in this world.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:26 pm »
What about her feelings? Jesus, that was so damn cruel.
So, the Communist Party just accepts beautiful people?
No, really, put yourselves in that lil' girl's heart... Singing, all proud of herself, and then, "GTFO MAI SHOW, UR FUGLY"

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 11:28:29 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
You will sing, but no one will know you ever did it!

Really, what's wrong with that statement. Who cares if the girl is ugly in your eyes, if she's got the talent put her on stage. YOUR VIEWS ARE NOT ABSOLUTE!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 11:28:54 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It's kind of unfair for us to judge a different culture based on our own insecure and hypocritical senses of right and wrong, is it not? If the girl was being tied down and water boarded into singing, then I'd think it was terrible.

Otherwise, just shrug your shoulders and move on with your life.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 03:19:51 am »
  • :3
It's kind of unfair for us to judge a different culture based on our own insecure and hypocritical senses of right and wrong, is it not? If the girl was being tied down and water boarded into singing, then I'd think it was terrible.

This.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 03:56:52 am »
Think how that little girl will feel when she grows up.

"Too ugly for the Olympic opening ceremony"

Makes me feel sad :( I dont think she's ugly at all.

There really are some cruel people in this world.

The Chinese have a nationalistic pride that extends beyond self-satisfaction.  This whole thing actually reminds me of something from Gundam SEED Destiny when Lacus is with some resistance force and a new Lacus is created through using plastic surgery on another singer.  I do not look at it as them thinking that the girl was ugly, just that one girl would look better doing it for her.  Meh, I probably could not comprehend this fully since I am not a girl and I do not really care about my appearance all that much.  Superficiality never wins out in the end anyway.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 04:03:23 am »
  • (b'-')b Jesus Guitar d('-'d)

By this logic we shouldn't discuss anything we disagree with.
T H I R T Y - T H R E E   T H R E E

Blog | Myspace | Facebook | Clan LmS

CrystalAngel04

Resident ZFGC female
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 04:26:27 am »
  • \\*Caution*\\ The Internets: May contain Women
I took my College Freshman Seminar on Contemporary China and I have to say I learned from that class that China really is a nation about the concept of "saving face." They'll do anything to avoid embarrassment or shame while at the same time make themselves look as good as possible in situations. In this case they want the world to see the "idealistically beautiful" China so they do things like this, as well as even faked some of the opening ceremony fireworks (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Some-Opening-Ceremony-fireworks-were-faked?urn=oly,99745) and had the people of the city kick habits that would be found "gross to westerners" all in the name of keeping face.

We were told it was to a crazy extent, but seeing these games it really blows my mind... (oh and if you want an awkward classroom... my professor -She's chinese and was around during their cultural revolution- talked about the one child policy, how she thought it was necessary and that she has no problem with abortions... some girls in my class nearly crapped themselves.)
  • -= Crystal Angel Creations =-
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 04:52:23 am »
Abortions are at least tolerable if they are not done with coat-hangers.  Rationalism in itself is not always a beautiful thing; China is the most populated country in the world, a person's view will change about life when they witness the suffering of the living.  Better to be aborted than to starve to death in squalor.  The government of China is seem more often as the problem then a solution to real problems that exist for it, and presenting a better image would lessen the world's scrutiny.  Perhaps all the money will help them improve their country.  Legitimacy only matters in sport, theatrics supersede honesty in show.

What would really be a scandal is if the Chinese gymnasts did all their moves through the use of wire-fu, lol, but this is not possible really.  It is not like they did them perfectly though, http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting.  U-S-A, U-S-A!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 08:45:24 am »
Well this decision sure made the confidence of the not so cute girl grow. She learned that she's too ugly, to sing for her country.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 11:41:21 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
But the Olympics ceremony is a show, like theatre and movies. You can't cheat in movies, and I'm pretty sure a lot of actors have failed to get roles on the grounds of not bring pretty enough.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 11:57:46 am »
But the Olympics ceremony is a show, like theatre and movies. You can't cheat in movies, and I'm pretty sure a lot of actors have failed to get roles on the grounds of not bring pretty enough.

But, the roles the actors wanted may have required them to be ultra pretty. There is nothing to say that a little girl singing at the opening of the Olympics has to be pretty or cute, she just has to have an amazing voice which is what she had.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 12:16:46 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
But China clearly wanted what they judge as a cute child. The role, therefore, required it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 76 queries.