Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  (Read 4849 times)

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 04:50:31 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
It seemed like more of a "How far WOULD America go?" kind of movie... Basically seeing what some people would do for a buck.
Show content
Like dressing up their baby as a nazi pushing another baby dressed as a jew into a furnace... And yes, the lady WAS excited.
It did shock me at points, yes, but overall it was the only movie in a long time that actually made me laugh 'til I cried.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 05:39:14 am »
I just saw it at the 10:20 show.
It was simply amazing.
One of the best movies done yest!
I can't wait for the next one.
I'm so buying this when it comes to DVD.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 10:33:05 pm »
To me the fifth film was the pinnacle of the series. Whereas many of the other films captured the events of the book but not the spirit, the fifth succeeded on its own as a movie, independent of the novel, by capturing a somber, brooding, and melancholy atmosphere that was present in the book. It was beautiful and very well-acted, I loved it.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about the third movie. The fifth is my second favourite, and I think those are the only Harry Potter movies that stand on their own as good movies. A lot of people have been saying the new one is the best yet, so I'm pretty excited for it. The cinematography in particular has been getting a lot of praise.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 03:00:30 pm »
  • ZFGC veteran
I still think the 4th and 5th ones were the best  :P

the ending of Half-Blood Prince was so anti-climactic that everyone rushed out of the theater in rage. kind of like the way Samuel L Jackson got killed off in Star Wars episode 3.

Then again it might have been too much if you saw the Avada Kedavra moving in slow motion at Albus (looking well prepared for his death) with Apocalypse Please by Muse playing in the background. however; it still would have been better than
Show content
ZAP dead *fall splat* with no noticeable reaction from harry.
I mean COME ON remember the emotion present when Cedric's father realized his son was dead? Or the emotion present after Gandalf died!?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:13:10 pm by Link Hero of Time »

Disappearing at random intervals for long periods of time since ezboard. (look I finally fixed the spelling error!)

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:04 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I mean COME ON remember the emotion present when Cedric's father realized his son was dead? Or the emotion present after Gandalf died!?
Ahhhhh, good times... good times...
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 04:25:16 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I mean COME ON remember the emotion present when Cedric's father realized his son was dead?

Holy !@#$% Cedric the entertainer is dead? :x first Bernie, now Ceddie :(
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »
  • Evil's origin begins in TLOZ AO...
HBP was good but everyone knows Chamber of Secrets was the best...
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 07:50:05 pm »
I swear I'm the only person who thought that movie was absolute trash D:
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 08:29:23 pm »
  • ZFGC veteran
I mean COME ON remember the emotion present when Cedric's father realized his son was dead?

Holy !@#$% Cedric the entertainer is dead? :x first Bernie, now Ceddie :(

NO Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter Goblet of Fire

no you aren't. While the movie had the usual fluff and dickery that goes on at Hogwarts it was missing something. AN INTERESTING PLOT! Sorcerers stone had... the sorcerers stone, chamber of secrets had the... oh you get it.what does the new movie have?
-crappy love story which ends up with Hermione crying AGAIN
-harry getting owned twice entirely unable to defend himself
-shitty side plot with Draco crying himself to sleep over his worthless assassination attempts.
-harry goes on an unofficial field trip with Albus and just about dies because he's a blundering idiot
-Albus dies....
and yeah thats about it and since that was the MAJOR POINT of the movie you would THINK that they would focus on that just a tad bit more instead of just executing him and moving on with it. Also why is harry considerably weaker in this movie?!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:38:27 pm by Link Hero of Time »

Disappearing at random intervals for long periods of time since ezboard. (look I finally fixed the spelling error!)

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 09:12:00 pm »
They needed more on the HBP. That was the focus in the 6th book.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:28 pm »
They needed more on the HBP. That was the focus in the 6th book.
I must agree, when Snape says I am the HBP, people  didn't care didn't found it interesting simply because they ignored the HBP plot..
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 03:57:22 am »
Well I won't be seeing this for a while. That's what I get for living in an out of the way country town in Australia that only has a single privately owned theatre, I guess.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 04:03:45 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
-harry goes on an unofficial field trip with Albus and just about dies because he's a blundering idiot...

...Also why is harry considerably weaker in this movie?!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzpD6OogahQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzpD6OogahQ</a> <relevant

Harry isn't an idiot! He's awesome!

*runs*

Anyway; yeah Darklight- I have the same situation :P our theater wont play harry potter movies or rated R movies :x
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 04:18:58 am »
Anyway; yeah Darklight- I have the same situation :P our theater wont play harry potter movies or rated R movies :x
It's not that our theatre won't play it, it's just that it'll be out on dvd by the time they do :(

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2009, 05:14:59 am »
  • Silly cat!
That's a poor excuse, Darklight. My town has 8,000 people and a shitty theatre and I still saw the film on release date.

Film was great, in my opinion. I was expecting a little more from the funeral scene (like how in the book the centaurs and the mermaids and all the different friggin' monsters and cultures came to mourn for Dumbledore) but otherwise I thought they did pretty well with Half-Blood Prince.

If you thought it was a !@#$% film, it's probably because it was based on a !@#$% book. Personally I thought the film was better.

And I hate this whole "duh, they left out important scenes" attitude. It's a book-to-movie translation, for !@#$%'s sake, forget the book and suspend disbelief. They have to speed things up. At least they made it entertaining and coherent. Try admiring how the film makers actually picked out as many of the entertaining scenes that they could, and left out the boring political ones, in stead of whinging that the entire book wasn't there. Film makers try as hard as they can, and I think Yates did a really good job at directing this... I'd argue better than Rowling did at writing it. It's not the content, it's how it's executed.

Harry and Ginny's kiss was !@#$% weak.

Harry on lucky drug was lol.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 05:17:43 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 05:54:21 am »
That's a poor excuse, Darklight. My town has 8,000 people and a shitty theatre and I still saw the film on release date.
14,000 here, but you don't know the people who run our theatre. They don't make an effort to get the latest films as soon as they can, which is really stupid.
Okay, I might have exaggurated a bit, but it'll be at least another week or two before they decide to start screening it.
They still haven't got transformers 2.
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 06:11:43 am »

Film was great, in my opinion. I was expecting a little more from the funeral scene (like how in the book the centaurs and the mermaids and all the different friggin' monsters and cultures came to mourn for Dumbledore) but otherwise I thought they did pretty well with Half-Blood Prince.

If you thought it was a !@#$% film, it's probably because it was based on a !@#$% book. Personally I thought the film was better.

And I hate this whole "duh, they left out important scenes" attitude. It's a book-to-movie translation, for !@#$%'s sake, forget the book and suspend disbelief. They have to speed things up. At least they made it entertaining and coherent. Try admiring how the film makers actually picked out as many of the entertaining scenes that they could, and left out the boring political ones, in stead of whinging that the entire book wasn't there. Film makers try as hard as they can, and I think Yates did a really good job at directing this... I'd argue better than Rowling did at writing it. It's not the content, it's how it's executed.

Harry on lucky drug was lol.
lol, :P yeah I must agree that removing the political stuff was nice but still, they removed action scenes.. like when they Death eaters fight in hogwarts with Dumbledore's Army

And Fenrir Greyback was just a let down, I was expecting to see him go attacking and biting people without being in wolf form. I was also expecting to see more memories from Tom's past, and they don't explain which are the other Horcruxes I don't know how they will make it flow in the next movie.

I find this movie one of the best, but the drama wasn't there it seems that they made it in a light tone removing most of the deaths ( in the book it is mentioned that during the fight in Hogwarts the Death Eater who placed the Mark in the sky died), and the fight in Christmas was so awkward I mean they added it so that people could see some action, but it was just pointless, still I prefer movie 3, then this one, I love the special effects and the Climax part in the astronomy tower :P.
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 12:05:25 pm »

Nope, you're not. The movie was completely empty. Nothing more than a string of love stories. And poor ones at that

And I hate this whole "duh, they left out important scenes" attitude. It's a book-to-movie translation, for !@#$%'s sake, forget the book and suspend disbelief. They have to speed things up.

I know and understand that. You only have 3 hours of movie against an infinite hours of book. Lucky, they decided that the 7th book will be split in two movies. You've got 6 hours of movie then.

At least they made it entertaining and coherent. Try admiring how the film makers actually picked out as many of the entertaining scenes that they could, and left out the boring political ones, in stead of whinging that the entire book wasn't there.

And that is the problem. The scriptwriters picked the least entertaining parts and above all the least relevant parts and they made it worse. Even the best C-class love movie had a better love story. I have to admit that the book is crap to begin with, but they picked out the worst parts and made a movie about it and even left the worst parts empty.

Well that was one of things the movie improved on the book and contained more substance than the book had.

OK, there were some good parts. The movie really improved on the inner turmoil of Malfoy with his assigned task. Considering the rest of the movie is rather mediocre, Tom Felton must have done some good acting. Harry's obsession with Malfoy is written a lot better. I was almost expecting Harry to accuse Malfoy of something every 5 minutes, like in the book. The special effects and CGI are top notch, as well as the sets. The inside of the Burrow looked really a whole lot better then in the previous movies.

Unfortunately the bad things are a whole lot more. Overall the movie was empty and devoid of emotion. It was nothing more than a string along of several love stories with no substance, nor relevance. Even a C-flick can bring better romance to the screen. Also the love acting is bad. The best example is Jessie Cave playing Lavender Brown. Cute face, but poor acting. Well it could also have been poor directing and writing, because the rest wasn't that much better.

And because the movie focused so much on the love stories it seems more coherent than the more recent movies, but in fact it is not. That is assuming that the final two movies based on the 7th book will only contain events from the 7th book. Do they want to bring back any coherence with the 7th book, they will be forced to put in a lot of the 6th book in the next movie. This movie left out so much relevant stuff, that the people who have never read the books, will have a hard time following the movies on book 7.

A number of sidestories are started which aren't finished and left open unended empty bits. For example the quidditch tournament. The movie contained the pitching for the players and even the events of and around the first game, which are nothing more than events for another love story. But the entire ordeal that Harry gets detention so often and has to go to Dumbledore for lessons and Harry is unable to do his task as Captain of the team, is completely ignored.

The first half of the movie is rushed to cover about 6/8th of the book. And it is filled with irrelevant content. Content about Voldemorts youth and Harry's continuous conflict with Snape is completely left out. Instead it is filled with lovestories, which have no meaning to the complete series or the 7th book. The strengthening of Harry's relationship with Dumbledore for more depth at the end is also unattended. And the Half-Blood Prince (which is the title of the movie) is completely sidetracked and only mentioned at halfway and at the end to let the title make sense. But maybe that is the fault of the book, because the mentioning of the Half-Blood Prince is only done during the arguing between Harry and Hermione about the dangers of the book. What the movie writers should have added, was that Hermoine had found that there was a witch attending hogwarts once with the last name Prince and that Snape is her son. Which of course is immediately discarded by Harry as an attempt to make him throw away the book and it can't be true because Snape is the big bad guy.

The second half of the movie is filled with almost literally retelling two chapters of the book in the movie. The parts in the cave and underground lake and Dumbledore's assassination. And I mean 'almost', because the revised assassination actually reveals a major plot twist from the 7th book. And due to bad directing or screenwriting a lot of emotion gets lost. And after this the movie gets quickly wrapped up with Snape revealing he is the Half-Blood Prince (which was also emotionless) and Harry deciding not to return to Hogwarts.

While in the book after the assassination of Dumbledore the war between wizards becomes apparent. You've got the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army fighting against the Deatheaters. With a lot of chaos and destruction. There is supposed to be a WAR going on and it is completely ignored in this movie. Instead the dinning hal gets a bit messed up and the so-called big fight (NOT) is at the Burrow during X-mas. At the Burrow Harry's bond with Dumbledore should have been strengthend when he defends him against the minister of magic. And when the fighting stopped, there was a funeral for Dumbledore with all the good wizards and witches and all kinds of magical creatures paying their last respects. With a grand display of magic from the creatures a big white tomb is erected which house Dumbledore's body, which is pretty relevant to the 7th book. This marks the end of a great wizard and the end of a great obstacle against Voldemort.

To conclude my review. This movie stands on its sublime use of special effects and CGI. Has great sets and environments. But for all it does right it does so much more wrong. Maybe it is the problem of the book already being a bad story to begin with, but the storywriters managed to make a bad story even worse. The only thing about the story that was done right was Draco Malfoy. To bad the writers ripped out the relevant and most entertaining parts of the book and thickened the irrelevant lovestories. The movie may seem coherent and flowing more natural than the previous movies, but it has no coherence with any previous movie (with the exception of the diary) or the 7th book.
Overall the movie is empty of relevance and shows little in the way of emotions. It is however hard to tell if it is due to bad directing by the directors, bad screenwriting by the writers, bad storytelling by JK Rowling and/or bad acting by the actors. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is absolutely the worst Harry Potter movie and serves as a good example that a bad book can't be translated into a good movie. In my opinion they had to do with this and the 5th book as they plan on doing with the 7th and that is splitting it in 2 movies.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:41:37 pm by Niek »
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 04:33:30 am »
  • ZFGC veteran
-youtub vid- <relevant

Harry isn't an idiot! He's awesome!

*runs*

AHAHHA that was great mammy but the diary one is the best.

hm well its too bad this was the last mo.... o_o HA still one more to go!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:45:25 am by Link Hero of Time »

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 07:16:45 am »
hm well its too bad this was the last mo.... o_o HA still one more to go!

Correction! Two more movies to go, but one book.

Part 1 -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/ (2010)
Part 2 -> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1201607/ (2011)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:18:41 am by Niek »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 74 queries.