Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Five Centimeters Per Second  (Read 2371 times)

Five Centimeters Per Second
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:05:16 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Anyone else watched this anime? I highly, highly recommend it to everyone here for a simple reason:  :'(

It was claimed to be up there with Grave Of The Fireflies in it's Tear Jerker powers. I was skeptical, but..I mean, it's a completely different subject matter, but dear lord it still gets you at the end ;_;
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:07:28 pm by TheDarkJay »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Five Centimeters Per Second
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 02:13:38 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Well, I highly doubt that anime would make me man-tear any more than Gurren Lagann did D:... That show was full of sads.

A lot of the anime/video games/etc on that list....... definitely aren't tearjerkers though. In fact, most of them are very mild and somewhat pathetic attempts to pull at the heart strings. About the only two on there that I can say actually have a great ability to do that are Eva and Gurren. Eva because of it's very bleak and dark outlook, you tend to tear up when it seems to come to an end without resolve. More of a buildup thing. Gurren because everyone they introduce who's awesome !@#$% dies in the most uncool fashion ever.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:30:47 pm »
Well, I highly doubt that anime would make me man-tear any more than Gurren Lagann did D:... That show was full of sads.

A lot of the anime/video games/etc on that list....... definitely aren't tearjerkers though. In fact, most of them are very mild and somewhat pathetic attempts to pull at the heart strings. About the only two on there that I can say actually have a great ability to do that are Eva and Gurren. Eva because of it's very bleak and dark outlook, you tend to tear up when it seems to come to an end without resolve. More of a buildup thing. Gurren because everyone they introduce who's awesome !@#$% dies in the most uncool fashion ever.

Eva tore at my heart strings, just not in a good way.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Ignore the link, just silently trolling everyone by splicing a link to TV Tropes in my post, since...ya know, TV Tropes is like the ultimate in rick rolls because it traps you willingly and for hours XD

That aside, this anime is still, in my opinion, a tear-inducing film at the end (I didn't cry but it brought me close. Only one film has ever actually reduced me to tears, and that was Forrest Gump when I was a wee boy XD).Basically you have all the warm fuzzy feelings of "aww true wuv!!" slowly and painfully being wrenched out of you =P
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:02:29 pm by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:21:50 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
I bought the DVD the summer before last. I honestly didn't like it, mostly because of the way the ending was so effing butchered. Other than that the first, say, 80% of the movie was a great watch.
I might sound cynical right now to the whole tear jerker genre though. I just finished watching the notorious tear-jerker Saikano after two years of debating buying it with myself. That thing was complete !@#$%.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:23:29 pm by Dracon »
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:40:33 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Really? The ending worked for me. Then again I've always loved ambiguous endings.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:32 am »
It was beyond ambiguous. It's like, it almost started to do something, then a flashback real, and then, wait, what, are those credits?
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 01:03:30 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
The ending was almost a giant recap really, showing everything that led him to that point, and some scenes could even be possible futures for them. Add the amazing song "One more time, one more chance" to the mix and for me it worked ^^

The film didn't even try to give you a definitive ending to it, or show you whether or not he eventually moved on or if they ever re-meet. You're left hanging :D
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:05:03 am by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:48:06 am »
And that's a good thing? PAAAAAH!
Now that we're on the subject, do you know any anime tear jerkers that don't phail? I need to get the bad taste of Saikano out of my mouth.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 01:03:17 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Grave of the Fireflies in damn-near-universal opinion ^^
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »
  • 笑い男
Not that an amazing story imo, but amazing artwork o_o
Sinkai Makoto?'s animes always seem to have amazing detail. 5cm/sec is the most detailed anime I've ever seen, graphic wise. Everything in it is so perfect lol. If you want to see what Japan is like in in real life detail, just watch the detail :p

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 05:21:46 pm »
Yeah, 5 cm was very smexy in terms of visuals, I'll give it that.

Grave of the Fireflies in damn-near-universal opinion ^^

Ah, yes, I know that one.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:20:46 pm »
  • b e p i s
I watched this movie today due to curiosity, even though I really don't like anime.

I thought it was overall pretty good. The visuals were AWESOME, and the themes and overall message of the story were really profound. But of course, it suffered from a lot of the melodrama that unfortunately plagues anime, and the subtlety in Tohno and Akari's relationship was lost because of it. Not that bad though.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 04:42:17 am »
  • 笑い男
Honestly I'd say the story is just so-so. There's far better stories out there. Just, the visuals really do stand out making it something to talk about I guess :P
I mean, I've never seen this level of detail in an anime before. It's pretty much spot on with real life.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 62 queries.