Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Videogame universes presented in other ways. Good/Bad?  (Read 2371 times)

Discussion: Videogame universes presented in oth...
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:16:04 am »
Just something I have been brewing over in my head in-between financial crap and course scheduling.
What do you guys think of the different fictional worlds that have been brought forth in videogames(talking about original fiction, not anything based on real world events for the most part)?  Could they be positively redone through say film? Books? Stage?

Some real examples that I enjoy personally:
I love the Resident Evil universe(except 5.  Damn you, Capcom!).  I got books based on 0,1,and 2.  All great books that shed just a little more detail than the games themselves do.  However, these are from a fan-writer's perspective, so each reader has to take it with a grain of salt. 

Metal Gear Twin Snakes/2/3 movie modes.  I know they are actually in the re-release/special releases(can't recall the exact names...Substance/Sustenance IDK).  But there were times when I got bored with TV or playing videogames, so I would hook up the Cube or PS2 and watch the MGS games in movie form.  The MGS universe is one I believe if done properly would turn to be epic if they made high-budget films out of the games.

My last mention is Kingdom Hearts.  When I was in Disney World back in '06, I picked up all four volumes of the Kingdom Hearts manga.  Great stuff, albeit relatively short compared to the game itself.  Great artwork style.  Can be read alone without any prior knowledge of the KH universe.  Kingdom Hearts is one that I would like to see someone experiment with in anime.  I think the story and characters by themselves would make a great anime series.

Anyway, you guys have any thoughts?  Any good videogame universes in other media you found?  Bad ones?
Of course,(more thoughts :P) we all know Street Fighter, Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat 2( I liked the first movie) are pretty bad.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: Discussion: Videogame universes presented in...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:09 pm »
I see your points and I'd like to mention an "average" rating manga.

The zelda mangas published by Vizkids stay partially true to the storyline and when it doesnt it redeems it by making a decent standalone. For example, in the FSA manga books, the four Links got split up and they each got a very small side story. I think it's good to expand the game's story. Though of course I do wonder whether in all of the mangas if any of them have Link's personality right.

Anyway, that's my mention.

Btw, it's not a Kingdom Hearts anime (Exactly) but here's what it would look like (I guess)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQFFR2rbU0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQFFR2rbU0</a>
  • Phoenix Heart

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:30 pm »
  • b e p i s
For me, "expanding" on universes gets annoying when it turns into franchising without any actual quality instead of being there for its original purpose (example: all the silly FFVII spinoffs.)

Also, everyone agrees that MGS would make a great movie. The real question is who to play Snake and who to direct?
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:04:07 pm »
For me, "expanding" on universes gets annoying when it turns into franchising without any actual quality instead of being there for its original purpose (example: all the silly FFVII spinoffs.)

Also, everyone agrees that MGS would make a great movie. The real question is who to play Snake and who to direct?
About 10-20 years ago, I'd throw my bid to Kurt Russel.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:27:19 pm »
No I don't think it can be done. Maybe those that become an extension to the story have some merit. But the books, movies, series that become a retelling of a game always fail to capture the game, because every game has an aspect (most often among gameplay) that just can't be translated to another medium.

But that does not mean that there is not an exception among books, movies, series, etc. that doesn't have some merit on its own. But most of the time it is nothing more than average.

And for MGS would not make a good movie, because it would miss a lot of a game. And there never is an actor that can put forth the image of the character you have. Because that image is not just made by the cutscenes, dialogs and graphics of the game. Your playing style is also incorporated in that image. That is why every actor will always be a disappointment.

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:17:21 pm »
Almost forgot to say, Professor Layton franchise has a movie adaption which is actually a good game->movie.

So I guess you can get it done in a good way. Guess it depends on the franchise.
  • Phoenix Heart

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 11:49:12 pm »
  • b e p i s
And for MGS would not make a good movie, because it would miss a lot of a game. And there never is an actor that can put forth the image of the character you have. Because that image is not just made by the cutscenes, dialogs and graphics of the game. Your playing style is also incorporated in that image. That is why every actor will always be a disappointment.

I don't really think this theory makes any sense. How then do other successful adaptations of other media, such as Lord of the Rings, work so well on film? What you have to do is capture the innate spirit of your source material and adopt it to the other medium. No, of course it won't be the same, but that doesn't mean the final product won't work.

As for me, I'd pick Eric Bana if he was a better actor for Snake. For director, I think Ridley Scott would work great.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:13:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think movies about games that involve characters that are based on an amalgamation of popular film characters is a bad idea. It's like making a card game based on a series that's inspired by another card game. Always turns out bad.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:16:04 am by Mamoruアニメ »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:57:31 am »
I think movies about games that involve characters that are based on an amalgamation of popular film characters is a bad idea. It's like making a card game based on a series that's inspired by another card game. Always turns out bad.

Apart from layton, I completely agree mamor.

Bolded text : Has that ever happened?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 12:00:37 pm »
I don't really think this theory makes any sense. How then do other successful adaptations of other media, such as Lord of the Rings, work so well on film? What you have to do is capture the innate spirit of your source material and adopt it to the other medium. No, of course it won't be the same, but that doesn't mean the final product won't work.

1) The topic is about videogames ported to other mediums.

2) I don't rule out any exceptions, but in general it is a bad idea.

About your example of LotR. The movie on its own is a great movie. And it is so successful because there are but a few people that actually made it all the way through the books. But as a movie adaptation of a book I think it kinda fails in that aspect.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:42:17 pm »
  • b e p i s

1) The topic is about videogames ported to other mediums.

Yes, I know that. But adaptation is adaptation. When you adapt a game you're not looking to adapt the "gameplay." When you adapt a book, you're not adapting the prose, the rhythm, or the smell of the pages. You're adapting the story. So saying that games can't be adapted properly really doesn't make any sense. Stories don't always work in other mediums, but sometimes they do.

About your example of LotR. The movie on its own is a great movie. And it is so successful because there are but a few people that actually made it all the way through the books. But as a movie adaptation of a book I think it kinda fails in that aspect.

You really thought so? I'm familiar with the source material despite never having read all of the books (Yes! I'm ashamed!) and though some elements were left out, from what I understand the movies were reasonably faithful to the books. They capture their spirit. That's more important than making sure every single character and locale is represented, if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 07:39:07 pm by Dantztron 3030 »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 05:54:34 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
The LOTR movies weren't bad in comparison to the books. Honestly, I was completely satisfied with it, and I've been a Tolkienite since I was 7 D:

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:13 am »
  • Silly cat!
All I know is a Zelda movie would be really crap and fans will be crying their little hearts out when someone does it all wrong. But it needs to be done even just to make all the fanboys shut up and stop asking for one.

People need to remember that a film, translated from a book or a game or vice versa, need not be a "translation" of the original material but rather a tribute to it, or, a creative endeavour where the original material is just inspiration. "Being true to the book" and "leaving stuff out" and "changing the story" is all stuff the writers shouldn't have to worry about... a film shouldn't be made FOR the original material, but as it's own creative entity, simply inspired by something else.

Watchmen had a completely different ending from the graphic novel and that turned out okay?

Hoffy.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:46 am »
The LOTR movies weren't bad in comparison to the books. Honestly, I was completely satisfied with it, and I've been a Tolkienite since I was 7 D:
Well, I am not a big fan of Tolkien at all. I have read the Hobbit and the Silmarillion. I started LotR, but I can't say that I ever finished it. I maybe cleared the Fellowship, before I gave up. So maybe I am not a good judge on that. But I have read all the Harry Potter novels and seen the movies. And though the movies are good in their own right, they are a mere simmering candle to the flaming ocean that are the books. After movie 3 they basicly ignore the fact that they are in a school following classes and that Harry's passion is Quiditch and obsession is Draco Malfoy.

To me the aspects of the medium always is a part of the spirit of the story and everything. With a book it is the prose and text that guides your imagination. With a movie it is the faster paced visual train ride. And with games it is the choices to decide your paths and the interactivity with the player.

Movies often have a shorter or a faster paced story then games and books. Games and books can have much more detail, even more events and a longer period of growth in characters. Books and movies are always linear and has the same beginning, the same progression and the same end each time you view or read them. Games have the same beginning and also can have the same ending, but its progression is often different the second time you play it through. Because you partly write the story.

If a game is translated to another medium, you always lose the interactivity and the sense of being a part of the story and that your choices have an influence. I know that inspired work can be good in its own right. But inspired work for me is never more than a shadow of the original works.

Take the Street Fighter franchise as an example. It has spawned movies, series and comic books. But none can deliver the SF experience the games give.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:50 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
It depends. A well fleshed out universe can be presented pretty well in other forms, but I think it's best they try and leave the actual story of the games themselves alone. Those stories are made *for* the video game format, with it's unique pros and cons. It's therefore very hard to convert them decently.

For example, Warhammer 40k. Tabletop aside, it has some good video games and some good books (like Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!). The Mass Effect series is already better thought out and defined than Star Wars, with enough information that I think books and the like in it have potential to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.637 seconds with 67 queries.