Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prototype Version of LoZ  (Read 4448 times)

Xiphirx

wat
Prototype Version of LoZ
« on: December 28, 2010, 03:04:42 am »
  • Xiphirx
Apparently, there is a prototype version of the original Zelda located here: http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2471

Looks really interesting...
  • For The Swarm
Re: Prototype Version of LoZ
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 06:11:37 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
For a second I read the title and imagined what it would be like if Prototype and Legend of Zelda were somehow combined to make one hell of a weird game...

Anyway, yeah...interesting...

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:59:22 pm »
  • Xiphirx
lol that would be weird.

I'm wondering how they even got their hands on it in the first place D:
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:03:27 pm »
The prototype game-over screen music is creepy.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
It's somewhat buggy on the 2nd quest. Interesting find though.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:26:21 am »
If the OoT prototype is ever leaked, it will make my entire life. It looked so interesting in the beta art.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:12 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
If the OoT prototype is ever leaked, it will make my entire life. It looked so interesting in the beta art.

It would be sweet, but I doubt they got far enough in that version's development for it to really be playable :P Probably only a few rooms and a couple events.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:03 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
It would still be fun, even if there's no full dungeons or anything.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9S-kUj5vcc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9S-kUj5vcc</a>
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 07:45:31 pm »
The Oot beta did look quite promising, with regards to the different set-up of the areas in the game and, possibly, added material, but the graphics didn't really fit the revolution that would become Oot. Don't forget, it was the first game to include an almost completely 3D environment.
  • YouTube Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »
Apparently, there is a prototype version of the original Zelda located here: http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=2471
I don't get it. So the Pols Voice looks different, the game got a bit harder afterwards, and a cheap gameplay mechanic in the form of walk-through-walls in the last dungeon on the first quest was eliminated. Is that really all that's different? I guess it's an interesting insight to the development of a classic game from the 80s, but, I was expecting something more, I guess. Oh well.

The Oot beta did look quite promising, with regards to the different set-up of the areas in the game and, possibly, added material, but the graphics didn't really fit the revolution that would become Oot. Don't forget, it was the first game to include an almost completely 3D environment.
I hope this is some kind of inside joke or something. Mega Man Legends featured less pre-rendered graphics than Ocarina Of Time did, as well as a lock-on targeting system and 3d environments, and it was released a year earlier. Not to mention all the other games with "almost completely 3d environments" that came out before Ocarina Of Time. The game was hardly a "revolution", and clearly you're exaggerating quite a bit in order to come to the conclusion that it was the "first game" to do anything innovative in particular.

It's funny, because that video actually looks a lot better than Ocarina Of Time does in some areas, especially the mountain area and those Zols. ESPECIALLY those Zols! Wow! Why weren't they in the final game?

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
I don't get it. So the Pols Voice looks different, the game got a bit harder afterwards, and a cheap gameplay mechanic in the form of walk-through-walls in the last dungeon on the first quest was eliminated. Is that really all that's different? I guess it's an interesting insight to the development of a classic game from the 80s, but, I was expecting something more, I guess. Oh well.

Well, it's a prototype. As in, it was a "completed version of the game meant for demonstrations". It's still going to be the same game <_<
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:49 pm »

Well, it's a prototype. As in, it was a "completed version of the game meant for demonstrations". It's still going to be the same game <_<
I understand that entirely. But at least with, for example, the Star Fox 2 prototype, there was fun to be had in doing stuff. With this, it's the same game, as you say. That's just kind of disappointing to me. I would have liked to see something that sheds light on certain gameplay/design choices, maybe a feature that didn't make it into the final build, etc... I've already played through the first Zelda game plenty of times, so I really don't feel like doing so again just to see a few small differences over a short period of time. I'll do my best to derive whatever enjoyment and information I can out of it, I suppose.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 10:56:51 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
If Star Fox 2 were released as a final product though you'd be saying the same thing if you revisited the prototype(s) to that :P
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:01:47 pm »
If Star Fox 2 were released as a final product though you'd be saying the same thing if you revisited the prototype(s) to that :P
Meowth, that's right. But it does mean that I'm not particularly excited about this sort of thing, I guess. So really, why is everyone talking about it? I hope you've had fun, though! You deserve to have fun. Enjoy yourself.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 12:51:14 am »
The game was hardly a "revolution", and clearly you're exaggerating quite a bit in order to come to the conclusion that it was the "first game" to do anything innovative in particular.

The game was the first in the series to include an almost completely 3D environment.
  • YouTube Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:18 am »
The game was hardly a "revolution", and clearly you're exaggerating quite a bit in order to come to the conclusion that it was the "first game" to do anything innovative in particular.

The game was the first in the series to include an almost completely 3D environment.
In the future, please clarify these things. I don't greatly enjoy arguing/debating/discussing statements that weren't intended to be made. Makes me look a bit silly, you know?
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 01:05:53 am »
That's okay :) When I noticed the missing information from my post, I was eager to put it in and clear things up.
  • YouTube Profile

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 07:32:22 am »
  • Silly cat!
The changes are fairly uninteresting, the real marvel is that they managed to get their hands on a beta of the original Zelda. How come big finds like this never come with a story of how they got there? I guess no one wants to know, but I'm keen for a riveting tale of breaking into Shiggy's office at Nintendo H.Q.!

OoT beta looks funky, I remember seeing some screenshots of a different kind of Lost Woods, similar to A Link To The Past sorta... real foggy. And some screens of an earlier 3D Castle Town too... I wish the music was as funky as it was in that trailer.

Here are the screenshots, actually: http://zeldapower.com/index.php/the_games/ocarina_of_time/beta_screens.php

Hoffy.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:45:36 am »
The changes are fairly uninteresting, the real marvel is that they managed to get their hands on a beta of the original Zelda. How come big finds like this never come with a story of how they got there? I guess no one wants to know, but I'm keen for a riveting tale of breaking into Shiggy's office at Nintendo H.Q.!

OoT beta looks funky, I remember seeing some screenshots of a different kind of Lost Woods, similar to A Link To The Past sorta... real foggy. And some screens of an earlier 3D Castle Town too... I wish the music was as funky as it was in that trailer.

Here are the screenshots, actually: http://zeldapower.com/index.php/the_games/ocarina_of_time/beta_screens.php

Dang i remember seeing this screenshot or something like it in like Q64 i think was the magazine. 

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 07:58:25 am »
I think prototypes are really uninteresting, unless they have some content that got scrapped, like a cave or town that is not in the released game which shows some object or character.

I also must say that I have some doubts about the origin of the ROM. I know that they don't want to reveal their sources, but not revealing your sources also meansone has to trust you for you word. And come on, how difficult is it to recreate a glitched version of The Legend of Zelda. The NES ROM is out there already and it has been hacked a number of times already.

But then again I could be wrong.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 78 queries.