Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Idea about the WIP-board.  (Read 7008 times)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Idea about the WIP-board.
« on: September 29, 2006, 05:14:43 pm »
So I just browsed the Zelda-WIP-boards, and I read the comments (there and elsewhere) about people getting pissed off of the 1000th 2D-version or MasterQuest of an existing Zelda-game. Some people are also on it with 3-8 projects at once. And as if this wasn't enough, most of the topics don't even have screenshots, not to mention demos. And the few that do are rather crappy. Or it's another frickin' walking-around engine which doesn't show anything.

So what's the idea I came up with.

Well, maybe we need to get some kind of jury who will judge the quality of a fan-game. I've been thinking that about 5 people or so will be the jury (of course chosen by the staff, with little voting-influence of the forum) and they go critical about a game that somebody wants to present. If it's good (enough), it's approved to be posted in the forums. If not... then the creator has to make a demo or at least screenshots which are good enough to be worth a topic.

Because, you know. The Zelda-WIP-board has several pages flooded with projects. We got some that are very decent and a lot, LOT projects that are not. I'm not saying that we mustn't give newbies a chance, hell no. It'd be awesome if they keep up coding. But if their project will be declined, then they will be recommend to check out the Coding-board and to learn more about coding.
If they decide to forget about the whole thing, then most likely they would have cancelled it anyway. And the WIP-board will not be flooded.

Sound logical, doesn't it? That's why I'm so convinced of my idea. I'm sure we will bring the spirit of real game-developing (Which is game-developing with AMBITION) back to this holy place of ZFGC.

Tell me what you think, both positive and negative comments to be discussed are welcome, as long as they're constructive. :3
  • Me on deviantART
Re: Idea about the WIP-board.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 05:24:40 pm »
  • Minalien
Actually, if WIP games dont have screenshots or demos with content, they're already breaking board rules:

-  Demo or Trailer.
But not just a walking demo. You need a demo with content showing what your project has. So add some background sprites or a town or something like that. If you do not have a demo you need to post a trailer about your project so we can clearly see it is in production. No simple 5 second trailers.

- Screenshots
Always post screenshots, so people can comment on those withought having to download your demo, and can know what to expect in downloading it.

What I think might be a decent idea, though, is perhaps to create a board (in both WIP boards) for games that a panel of people (this is somewhat going off of your jury idea) vote on. The games' post will then be moved to the board. This board is a board for quality fan games that (Zelda WIP) or other games/programs (Misc WIP) as judged by the panel of game critic things

Edit
Hell, on that note, I think a single board of representatives could represent both the Zelda WIP and Misc WIP boards, as well as creating another board like the ones mentioned above in the Completed projects board.

Edit2
On that note, why the hell isn't there a rules post in Completed projects?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:26:26 pm by MiNalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Fox

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 05:28:44 pm »
Well, seeing that these kind of topics are still there tells me that there is hardly anyone who cares. And I'm not sure if the community should judge... but it might work.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 05:29:42 pm »
  • You don't know me.
Facinating. I believe this would be the logical course of action, captain Staff.

No one located in this area of the internet remembers me.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:40:41 pm »
  • [sic]
I simply think there should be "Remakes" sub-forums in the WIP forums. Tat would easily separate the games people knew they had played from the ones that hadn't. And the quality of a fangame is not a very big issue, because most fangames, especially low-quality ones, get scrapped (fairly quickly too).
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:45:02 pm »
  • Minalien
aye, another good idea, Kame. SOMETHING needs to be done though to seperate the crap from the quality ;P
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog

Pyru

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 05:45:31 pm »
Well, I definitely agree that members shouldn't have the right to post new topics in the WIP boards... they should have to post in Early Production first, then apply once their project qualifies for WIP to get it moved to the correct board... That would definitely clean things up a lot.

Dunno about the jury thing, though.

Fox

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 06:32:10 pm »
I simply think there should be "Remakes" sub-forums in the WIP forums. Tat would easily separate the games people knew they had played from the ones that hadn't. And the quality of a fangame is not a very big issue, because most fangames, especially low-quality ones, get scrapped (fairly quickly too).
But I think that we don't need to encourage newbies to post their very first little thing they just coded a few days ago right away. It's pointless in my opinion. They won't get a good reaction and once discouraged, they will probably not keep trying to learn programming.

I'm not sure what to think of a sub-board for Remakes, it would seem kind of pathetic. We'd have three sites of 2D's and MQ's. Would be even more of an example of how some people run out of ideas. :P

Well, I definitely agree that members shouldn't have the right to post new topics in the WIP boards... they should have to post in Early Production first, then apply once their project qualifies for WIP to get it moved to the correct board... That would definitely clean things up a lot.

Dunno about the jury thing, though.
I'm glad you agree that there have to be at least SOME restrictions. :)
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 06:36:15 pm »
Wow this extremely strange, Fox I had this EXACT same idea last night before I took a shower(I was thinking of a council though....). I totally agree, excellent idea.

Fox

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 06:58:57 pm »
Wow this extremely strange, Fox I had this EXACT same idea last night before I took a shower(I was thinking of a council though....). I totally agree, excellent idea.
Soul-mates ftw.
Well, I guess some of us have some kind of this idea, maybe...
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 07:14:22 pm »
Well Fox great idea, but kinda what Pyru said you whould still be able to post in early poductions, because most ideas like mine will start off with no screens or demos so I couldn't get approved even if the rest of my stuff is quality. It is like that for most fan games when they start off it is called early productions and ideas.  :tek:

Fox

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 07:35:58 pm »
Hm, no, my idea was that you have to send it to the jury (or whatever it is going to be) and they give you the green light - or not. I actually see no point in having an "Early Ideas"-board, anyway. It's pointless to post a n idea, and if you need help, you can go to "Recruiting and Advertising" or to the resources-sections...
  • Me on deviantART

Pyru

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 07:39:59 pm »
Hm, no, my idea was that you have to send it to the jury (or whatever it is going to be) and they give you the green light - or not. I actually see no point in having an "Early Ideas"-board, anyway. It's pointless to post a n idea, and if you need help, you can go to "Recruiting and Advertising" or to the resources-sections...

Well, where do you post the topic in the first place, if there's no early ideas board? Early ideas should be the "waiting room" for the WIP board. The creator of that topic should then ask that their topic be moved to the right board. It's the most practical way of doing it.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 07:43:38 pm »
Good idea Pyru, now can you get an admin in here to see this and most likely shoot us down :lol:

Fox

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:00:28 pm »

Well, where do you post the topic in the first place, if there's no early ideas board? Early ideas should be the "waiting room" for the WIP board. The creator of that topic should then ask that their topic be moved to the right board. It's the most practical way of doing it.
No, what I'm saying is, that you need to send your submission to the jury (in whatever non-public way), they judge and tell you if you can submit it or not.

Good idea Pyru, now can you get an admin in here to see this and most likely shoot us down :lol:
Muahaha. You think so? :P
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 08:01:15 pm »
  • IBV
I like the idea but I've got one problem with it: Do we need an elite that tells us what is good for us?

That came out wrong.. I meant more like... what IF they give red for a project which they think look unprofessional? I.e. a game that has weird graphics (kinda like how everyone/many though about WindWaker). The game might look unprofessional at first but when you get deeper into it, it becomes brilliant. So I just think that these judges would have to go strictly after quantity of content, not quality. (i.e. a full game which is buggy would be green because it's got contents and is fairly playable, yet a brilliant walking engine only demo would still be red even though it's brilliant at least for now). Do you understand how I mean?
My signature is empty.
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 08:16:10 pm »
  • [sic]
No, I stand by what I said before. An extra (but manual) filtering process should be added. If posting in WIP is disallowed, there'll be trouble too. I don't really like that idea. I think the best way to go on fangames is to have at least 10% done (like, full engine, or, most of the engine, and a room or two) before posting it - lots of people don't do that, but those who do would have to put their game where it didn't belong and have to wait while the mods sifted through the topics. It'd just be an added hassle for everyone. A "percentage" system might work, though - indicating on update in the topic title what percentage your game is at. Like I might have said in the "Spirit of Fangames" topic, I think the point at which most people post in Early Production & Ideas is the time they should be posting in Recruiting and advertising, and starting to build up a team, or at least some support.

Stopping posting in completed Projects is an absolutely terrible idea. What if, let's call him "PellMell46" (purely fictional), what if PellMell46 signs up to ZFGC? He found it searching for resources on Google. He's made a Zelda game with a few dungeons and is working on a sequel/expansion to that game. What if he wants to post his completed game? What if it's really good? He'd have to go through this whole process, post it in Early production, post it in WIP, finally post it in Completed. It's just an added hassle -_-
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 08:18:31 pm »
  • Loopier than a bowl of Cheerios
I definately agree with stopping members being able to post in WIP and Completed Projects. That will clean a lot of things up.

Setting the boards to Reply Only makes it a really quick, easy job for the admins.

ALL that needs to be done is stop people posting in WIP and Completed Projects. Then they just apply for topics to be moved in the normal way.

I agree with sol completely. the idea of judges choosing what should be posted defeats the point of having a public forum.

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 08:29:21 pm »
  • Minalien
I dont get where people are getting the idea to block all access to WIP for, I mean, one reason ZFGC is so popular is because it's a good place to post your projects, good OR bad. What we need is a place for the exceptionally good ones to be placed. What this accomplishes is twofold; firstly, it helps us filter good projects from bad ones, and secondly; it gives people something to achieve with their projects, so they'll work harder on their projects, and thus we'll also get higher quality projects.

• Development Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 08:32:57 pm »
  • IBV
Maybe we should just educate people good ways of developing a game (or having a project). I mean, tell people how they should do for success. Tell about the phases: idea -> planning -> work -> finalize (often called a new version) -> release. Then when someone posts a stupid topic just refer them to the tutorial topic and let them read it (if they won't then that's their problem, no?)
My signature is empty.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 78 queries.

anything