Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Freedom of Speech  (Read 7140 times)

Freedom of Speech
« on: July 08, 2007, 08:31:21 pm »
  • I murder your toys as well
There seems to be no freedom of speech on ZFGC.

I lost hearts for making a "profane" joke. Moldrill lost hearts simply for saying "!@#$% you", a phrase that we're all old enough to tolerate.

I love ZFGC to death, but I can't sit idly by while our freedoms are being suppressed.

This user is on indefinite hiatus.
  • Facebook - Jeremy Elliott
Re: Freedom of Speech
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 08:34:24 pm »
Yes, thats right, you heard it here. ZFGC is the 51st state of The United States. Now offering Free Speech.

So Lunar, you're walking down the road, you look over at someone and yell '!@#$% you' what happens? They probably punch you right? So.. what assault? verbal assault? There's still punishment in place for going around and tossing around offensive messages.

I did not see the 'warning' in question, so I can't comment on its sarcastic nature or not, but you're going a bit far.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:36:08 pm »
Yes, thats right, you heard it here. ZFGC is the 51st state of The United States. Now offering Free Speech.

So Lunar, you're walking down the road, you look over at someone and yell '!@#$% you' what happens? They probably punch you right? So.. what assault? verbal assault? There's still punishment in place for going around and tossing around offensive messages.

I did not see the 'warning' in question, so I can't comment on its sarcastic nature or not, but you're going a bit far.
It's not taking away freedom, it's simply moderating. Even though if I were running the forum there would be practically no moderation, but it's still just a forum.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:38:18 pm »
I made a joke in a style imitating the "Angry Video Game Nerd". I lost two hearts for that.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:39:17 pm »
I agree with Lunar. We should be able to say whatever we want. I am fine if you filter every little word like crap or !@#$% or whatever. Its better that way. If you dont want to hear what people are really saying turn on filter. It filters out your life. If you like that fine. But I just want to say something:

!@#$% you. To all the staff at ZFGC who are enough of asses to take down hearts because of someone saying something. Its ridiculous.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 08:42:33 pm »
!@#$% you. To all the staff at ZFGC who are enough of asses to take down hearts because of someone saying something. Its ridiculous.

Quoted for truth.

Unless you're threatening somebody, there is no reason to take hearts for words.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:43:19 pm »
  • *whistle*
Omigod, people being warned for saying offensive things. That's dreadful.

I mean, y'know. It'd be GREAT if people could just say whatever the !@#$% they want, 'cos we all know that works brilliantly.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »
I made a joke in a style imitating the "Angry Video Game Nerd". I lost two hearts for that.

Yeah, I actually laughed at that one.. :p I didn't moderate it though.

On a side note: The warning system is seriously overly complex. I didn't know it was that difficult to warn someone >.>
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 08:44:15 pm »
Anyways, there's a long difference between the so called "Freedom of Speech" and politeness...

Seriously, stop acting like angry teenagers who think they are always righteous. Think twice before saying anything. While doing so, check the following steplines:
 - Politeness.
 - Offending.
 - Making yourself look dumb.
 - Hurting anyone's feelings.
 - Leading into trouble of any kind.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 08:44:31 pm »
I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work.

In real life, we're allowed to say whatever we want, but I don't go around cursing people or anything.

Anyways, there's a long difference between the so called "Freedom of Speech" and politeness...

Seriously, stop acting like angry teenagers who think they are always righteous. Think twice before saying anything. While doing so, check the following steplines:
 - Politeness.
 - Offending.

Lmfao

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 08:46:21 pm »
I wanna settle this because it's so damn simple.

Lunar, for someone toting the fact they're no longer gonna let stupid stuff bother them, you sure are just as quick as you ever were to let people know exactly what is bothering you.

Now, with text, comes ambiguity, sarcasm isn't as easy to convey, and impersonating the angry video game nerd is not obvious when you say something like !@#$% you, it looks like you're just impersonating a guy that says "!@#$% you"
so, maybe your intentions weren't bad, but that's what everyone is going to perceive, the person who you said it to didn't feel any better reading it, the mods didn't feel any better taking hearts away, and thats all something you are responsible for.

Plus it's been said a million times, zfgc is not a democracy
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:47:53 pm »
I do say whatever I want. If someone gets me angry I say "!@#$% You!" to them. But thats not even the case with what I said. For me it was a joke. Like when me and my friends messing around and someone mocks me. I say "Hey !@#$% You!" My friends are mature enough to not go: "Gasps! You swore at meh now you arent my friendz!"
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 08:48:35 pm »

- Politeness.
 - Offending.

Really, I see that stuff as unimportant, even when these things are directed at me, because I can almost always learn something from it. I don't control ZFGC, though, so tough luck. :P
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 08:50:14 pm »
I wanna settle this because it's so damn simple.

Lunar, for someone toting the fact they're no longer gonna let stupid stuff bother them, you sure are just as quick as you ever were to let people know exactly what is bothering you.

Now, with text, comes ambiguity, sarcasm isn't as easy to convey, and impersonating the angry video game nerd is not obvious when you say something like !@#$% you, it looks like you're just impersonating a guy that says "!@#$% you"
so, maybe your intentions weren't bad, but that's what everyone is going to perceive, the person who you said it to didn't feel any better reading it, the mods didn't feel any better taking hearts away, and thats all something you are responsible for.

Plus it's been said a million times, zfgc is not a democracy

Ahh, you're right. As usual.

I'll leave this topic to Moldrill then.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:01 pm »
Ah. Didnt see what you said Taka. Yeh ZFGC isnt a democracy. Thats another thing. It should be. Before admins or mods decide to change or add a new rule there should be a public vote on it.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:19 pm »
I do say whatever I want. If someone gets me angry I say "!@#$% You!" to them. But thats not even the case with what I said. For me it was a joke. Like when me and my friends messing around and someone mocks me. I say "Hey !@#$% You!" My friends are mature enough to not go: "Gasps! You swore at meh now you arent my friendz!"
You're right in that, but in real life friends they can see a sarcastic face when you are saying that. Besides you can't show someone sarcasm without using gesture language. Maybe you had to add something like "[/sarcasm]" :-\
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 08:54:32 pm »
Alright. Fine. Next time I will add a :P or a :) or a ;) at the end of a supposed flame.
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 08:54:47 pm »
Sarcasm tags..

That would be hilarious. XD

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 08:54:52 pm »
Ah. Didnt see what you said Taka. Yeh ZFGC isnt a democracy. Thats another thing. It should be. Before admins or mods decide to change or add a new rule there should be a public vote on it.

Psst, that'd make it a democracy.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 08:56:07 pm »
  • *whistle*

Except the vast majority of the ZFGC members are too inactive for a vote to be expedient or effective, and the rest are too stupid/selfish/assholeish/etc to vote in a way that will benefit the community as a whole.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 77 queries.

anything