Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [INFINITUS] 001 - Initializing the IDE  (Read 2380 times)

[INFINITUS] 001 - Initializing the IDE
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:11:07 pm »
Hello and welcome to my set of zelda-game-development tutorials. Hopefully in the next tutorials I will teach you how to create a basic zelda game in C# that is extensible enough for you to be able to use it, and the knowledge you have learned, to produce your own zelda games or similar RPG type games.

So how are we going to start this project? Well the first thing we must do before we can even begin programming is set up the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) we will be using to develop this game. For these tutorials I will be usings the free Visual Studio 2008 (C# Express edition). If you don't already have it installed you can download it from the following url;

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

You also need to make sure you have the .NET framework, preferably version 3.5 which is used to compile all these tutorials (though you may get a way with lower version for some of them).

Once you've installed that we first need to define our game tree, this is just a term for the structure of folders in which we will keep the source and assets for our game project within.  I've chosen to do it in the following structure;

This structure will most likly be extended later on in the project but it currently stores all that we need for a while. So once you've created your folder like that its time to boot up the IDE we are using. Once you've done that click on the File->New Project menu, select an Empty Project and call it Zelda, set the directory to the Source folder in the game tree we just made and uncheck 'Create directory for solution', then click OK.

This will create your project and store all the source and configuration files with the Source folder in our game tree. After its done this you will be confronted with an empty IDE, which looks more or less the same as it did before you created the project, the main difference is the list box on the right which shows the current source tree for our game. This is called the solution explorer.

As you can see the source tree is empty, so we will need to create some files so we can actually begin programming, but before we do that we need to set the project settings so the resulting exe is created in the way we want. To change the project settings simply right-click on the item in the solution explorer that says 'Zelda' (this is our project item) and select 'Properties'. This will result in a window similar to the following appearing.

For the moment the only settings we care about are the following;

• Application->Output Type: This specifys what form of executable this project should be compiled to, for this project we obviously want an exe so people can run it. As such set it to 'Windows Application'.
  • Build->Output Path: We want to set this so that our executable will be produced in the Bin folder of our game tree. To do this just set this to '..\..\Bin'. Be aware that you will have to set this for both the debug build and release build configurations (you can switch between these using the combo box above the settings called 'Configuration').

Done that? Good. There is just one last thing to setup before we can start writing our game. What we need to do is add a file called 'Zelda Runtime.dll' to the project, this is just a library file full of code that I wrote to help you preform certain tasks in the game. I've written this dll for you so that you don't have to worry about a lot of the low-level coding(like writing a graphics renderers) and can instead concentrate on creating a zelda game. To add this file to the project first download it from the following link and place it in the Bin folder in our game tree;

http://www.zfgc.com/infinitus/tutorials/001/Zelda Runtime.dll

Once you've done that right click on our project in the solution explorer and click 'Add Reference', go to the browse tab and select the 'Zelda Runtime.dll' file you just downloaded and click OK. This will allow us to access the code in this dll file from within our project.

Now just one last thing to do, we need to add references to some of the system files as well so we can use them. Just open the add reference window again but this time select the .NET tab and then select and add the following items (also known as assemblies);

• System
  • System.Data
  • System.Core
  • System.Drawing
  • System.XML
  • System.Windows.Forms

Done that? Congratulations you've got the boring part out of the way and set up the IDE ready for some programming. Check out the next tutorial for some actual programming (bet your waiting for that :D).

Wrapper License
You are free to use the wrapper in whatever form you choose, there are no restrictions on how you choose to use it. If you require the source that can also be provided, just post me a message and I'll post it.

Completed Source Code: http://www.zfgc.com/infinitus/tutorials/001/complete.zip
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:04:12 pm by Minalien »
Re: 001 - Initializing the IDE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 05:09:23 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Just a thought, perhaps it's best to comment on what the terms of use on the wrapper you wrote are.

Such as can we use it to create a commercial game? Is it GPL'd (please god no, I hate that thing)? And so-on.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 05:10:11 pm »
Fair enough.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:38 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
I love how there's the completed source code at the end.  Very useful to make sure everything's done right.  I haven't looked at it, but I'm willing to bet it's all the stuff explained here already assembled.

Speaking of which, I just finished my first tutorial WITHOUT cheating!  Unfortunately I'm not sure if I'll have enough time for number 2 for a little while... but I'll get there.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:35 am »
Rightyo, finished that one. Now to move on to the next.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:39:37 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
I don't have a choice for an Empty Project o_O

Only the other options...
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »
Neither did I, you should be alright choosing a Console Application, there shouldn't be too much of a difference.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 03:51:37 pm »
Yeh if you don't have the option of an empty project just choose a console application then delete everything in it until its empty, then start :).
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 03:53:09 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Alright thanks a lot.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:29 pm »
I have a problem too. Visual C# Express hates me! I only have the option to choose what type of project, and what its name is. No selection for directory, or anything like that. And knowing me, I explained it badly so see the attached pic.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:10:38 pm »
What version are you using? You may have to modify the ide properties to show advanced options (though I shouldn't think thats neccessary).
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:36 pm »
I'm using the 2008 version, the one you are linking to in the tutorial.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:52:59 pm »
Hum, just create an empty project then and use save-all, to save the files into the right format.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:13:28 pm »
Seems to work, but only after I try the next tutorial will we know for sure.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 03:35:49 am »
Finished. I had to install .net 3.5 for System.Core =(.
the a o d c
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 64 queries.

anything