Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Déjà vu.  (Read 2056 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Déjà vu.
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:30:41 am »
  • Silly cat!
Why doesn't anyone else seem to think déjà vu isn't at all strange?

It's like... it happens occasionally, you're with someone, or you even say it yourself. It just comes out of nowhere: "Hrm, déjà vu", and a then a response: "Hrm." It's like... no one at all finds that déjà vu is weird, they just take it as it comes, and they don't think about how bizarre, or even how scary it is.

I understand scientists have looked into it, and some have even been able to spur déjà vu using hypnotism. But none of the theories really give anything remotely close to a concrete answer as to what the hell déjà vu is or what it is doing with your head. What if you're mind is trying to fool you? What if whatever it is you're seeing actually happened before?

BE SCARED DAMNIT.

Hoffy.
Re: Déjà vu.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:51 am »
  • Personal Text
I have always thought of the meaning to deja vu. I get them all the time.
My friend who is in to all this psychic stuff, said that deja vu is a sign that you are at the right place at the right time. I disagree, however.
When you get deja vu, you feel like you've "been here" already, right? Well I think thats what it is, something to do with your past. I do believe in fate, but I don't think thats the purpose to deja vu. How do we know that other animals don't get it? Maybe its beyond our understanding...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:58:03 am by Mewgull »
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:41 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Deja Vu has been induced in labs several times, and I think some scientists view it essentially as the mind trying to access information (memories) it thinks are there when they aren't. Or a mis-timing of neurons, faulty communications between the brain lopes, these kinds of things. I know the 'supernatural' explanation may seem easier to accept, when you consider the implications of this, you realise it becomes a lot more outlandish and unlikely :)

Then again, I've never experienced it personally so can't say what it feels like.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:34:20 am by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:01:15 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
The only times I really get Deja Vu is when somethings happens that I have dreamt about, and this happens A LOT.

For example, in my dream, I'll go somewhere and do something, then it will actually happen, like I've had things happen a few months after the dream.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:14:04 pm »
The only times I really get Deja Vu is when somethings happens that I have dreamt about, and this happens A LOT.

For example, in my dream, I'll go somewhere and do something, then it will actually happen, like I've had things happen a few months after the dream.
I have this same thing happen to me all the time. I want science to give me an answer about it. It can't be the same kind of Deja Vu everyone is talking about.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:24 pm »
  • If not now, when?
I've considered writing all of my dreams in a journal. I've experienced "déjà vu" where I thought that I had dreamed about it before. In that case, it could very well be something with your brain making you think you had a dream about it before but actually did not. Unfortunately these days I don't remember any of my dreams often.

My thoughts? If you experience this kind of "déjà vu", start writing your dreams in a journal. If it happens again, check your journal and see if you had that dream or not. Obviously it won't work with dreams you've had in the past...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:29:37 pm by AcidGame »
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 05:39:24 pm »
I've considered writing all of my dreams in a journal. I've experienced "déjà vu" where I thought that I had dreamed about it before. In that case, it could very well be something with your brain making you think you had a dream about it before but actually did not. Unfortunately these days I don't remember any of my dreams often.

My thoughts? If you experience this kind of "déjà vu", start writing your dreams in a journal. If it happens again, check your journal and see if you had that dream or not. Obviously it won't work with dreams you've had in the past...
Actually, I have done something like that during a time when I had those kinds of dreams at least once a week. When I could, I also tried to put down details that could easily be something different during a normal day, such as the shirts of two or three people I had seen in my dream, and what I had said. Most all of them then happened with the same details in place. Whenever I got the feeling of "Deja Vu" mostly during school, I looked in my notebook about what had happened in my dreams, and it happened in the exact same way, with the exact same details. That is what really is weird about it to me.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:23 am »
  • Silly cat!
Deja Vu has been induced in labs several times, and I think some scientists view it essentially as the mind trying to access information (memories) it thinks are there when they aren't. Or a mis-timing of neurons, faulty communications between the brain lopes, these kinds of things. I know the 'supernatural' explanation may seem easier to accept, when you consider the implications of this, you realise it becomes a lot more outlandish and unlikely :)

Then again, I've never experienced it personally so can't say what it feels like.
That's another thing. Why doesn't it happen to some people, where to others it happens something like everyday?

Oh my god yes. Happens to me all the time. And then you can't remember whether you had had that dream or not... and your brain gets all messed up :S.

Also, as to the writing dreams down in a journal thing, I was told to do that yesterday, and I think I may. It's just, they're difficult to remember, sometimes.

Hoffy.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 04:22:52 pm »
  • The Mike
It's happened to me a couple times before and it was pretty weird. For me, it's kind of something happened one day, and then the same thing happened another day. It felt real strange and somewhat eerie.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 04:25:38 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
That's another thing. Why doesn't it happen to some people, where to others it happens something like everyday?

Probably something to do with how different brains form differently (different levels of hormones received in the womb, that kind of thing).

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:14:08 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
I think the dream theory works, cause some people can't remember their dreams. Hence, no deja vu. Whereas others always remember their dreams. Hence, constant deja vu.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:42:50 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Days are redundant, they are almost always extremely similar (even strange people have this, because they are strange in the same way every day). Dreams are composed of a days experiences, so it make sense things seen in dreams will take place later in life, because these things were either discussed in or repetitive-ish events in your average day.

I either have very outlandish dreams about vampires and ghosts and weird experiments and me going forward in time and having sex with my future self (even when asleep I stop time paradoxes) or very ordinary dreams which could easily have been just another day in my life.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 08:06:30 pm »
  • :3
Days are redundant, they are almost always extremely similar (even strange people have this, because they are strange in the same way every day). Dreams are composed of a days experiences, so it make sense things seen in dreams will take place later in life, because these things were either discussed in or repetitive-ish events in your average day.

I either have very outlandish dreams about vampires and ghosts and weird experiments and me going forward in time and having sex with my future self (even when asleep I stop time paradoxes) or very ordinary dreams which could easily have been just another day in my life.

This is something that annoys me- not your post, but it reminded me of it. People who refuse to believe in anything other than science, and they hold science as 100% factual.

I get deja vu pretty often, about once a week, I'd say. Half the time it's from stuff I know I've dreamt, other times it's just a random occurence of the feeling of it.
Gannon-banned brother.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 09:23:53 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I get deja vu ALOT where I'll actually experience something I've drempt the few nights before. It kinda sucks when I have dreams that my Job is infested by giant man-eating spiders though... !@#$%... :(
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 12:03:50 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
The theory I heard and accept is that deja vus are nothing more than memories existing in your subconscious mind are brought out once your brain is properly stimulated. However, I have experienced the dream variety, so who knows.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm notorious for deja vus. I can have two or three in one day.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 12:20:29 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
The theory I heard and accept is that deja vus are nothing more than memories existing in your subconscious mind are brought out once your brain is properly stimulated. However, I have experienced the dream variety, so who knows.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm notorious for deja vus. I can have two or three in one day.

Most likely, but if it's memories, then why would I dream about it BEFORE it happens?

SCIENCE RULES.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:28 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.

Most likely, but if it's memories, then why would I dream about it BEFORE it happens?

SCIENCE RULES.

Subconscious memories can combine in different amounts to form something completely different that closely resembles a real-life experience. When this memory is pushed back into your subconscious mind, it's able to be used as a deja vu.

At least, that's my theory.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 11:04:11 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
This is something that annoys me- not your post, but it reminded me of it. People who refuse to believe in anything other than science, and they hold science as 100% factual.

Well since Science is all about discovering the rules that bind the universe in a rational, methodical manner of experimentation, which is a damn sight more accurate then just seeing something, instantly deciding x did it and moving on. Science is a methodology, it's an attitude. The results of that methodology are called science, but they themselves are just the children, the off-spring of science.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 72 queries.