Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony increase sales by over 25%...  (Read 4447 times)

Sony increase sales by over 25%...
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:05:33 am »
  • *whistle*
And still lost over a billion dollars in the last twelve months. But, hey, that's over a billion dollars less than the year before that. That's good, right? Quick answer: No.

http://kotaku.com/5018944/increasing-ps3-sales-strong-psp-helped-sony-narrow-losses-in-fy08

The fact that neither Microsoft nor Sony are turning a profit in the market makes me wonder how much longer they can stay in the game. Sure, they're real competitive in the market, but guess what: although Nintendo fans are relatively unhappy, Nintendo actually makes money. And shareholders tend to like that. Hell, the banks that they take loans from tend to like that.

Especially with a supposed recession looming, I think Sony and Microsoft may have to re-think their business platform for the games market...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Sony increase sales by over 25%...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:11:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
They (Microsoft and Sony) make up their money from their other products. Both of them announced before even entering this generations console battles that they are losing money per console sold just so they can make them affordable to the consumers. Sony initially estimated that the PS3 cost them $600 to manufacture, $500 to sell, Microsoft same thing, except they go for the $400 price tag.

This isn't news, and they are prepared for this :P
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:43:32 pm »
  • *whistle*
They make a profit per unit on software, through the licensing issues. And yet, neither are making a profit over all in releasing those products: it's financially unviable in the long run.

Yes, the entire console business platform is that the console itself is a loss leader (well, Nintendo makes a profit per unit on the Wii), but they're meant to make up those losses though software sales. Which they aren't.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:37:11 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
They (Microsoft and Sony) make up their money from their other products. Both of them announced before even entering this generations console battles that they are losing money per console sold just so they can make them affordable to the consumers. Sony initially estimated that the PS3 cost them $600 to manufacture, $500 to sell, Microsoft same thing, except they go for the $400 price tag.

I agree but I could see them asking themselves why they should stay in a market like that.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 03:40:09 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

I agree but I could see them asking themselves why they should stay in a market like that.

You know that pretty much every video game console has caused the company to lose money, right?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:27 pm »
and the PC market is 12 times bigger

My Child Is Student of The Month at Neverland Ranch!
  • SSEdit
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:19:57 pm »
They make a profit per unit on software, through the licensing issues. And yet, neither are making a profit over all in releasing those products: it's financially unviable in the long run.

Yes, the entire console business platform is that the console itself is a loss leader (well, Nintendo makes a profit per unit on the Wii), but they're meant to make up those losses though software sales. Which they aren't.

Just checking that you are aware that Sony makes TVs, Stereos, MP3 Players, Phones blah blah blah
And that Microsoft are bitchin' rich, right?

:P The money that they lose can be made up from their other products, liscences all that jazz.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 09:22:16 pm »
  • Your expression has changed too

Just checking that you are aware that Sony makes TVs, Stereos, MP3 Players, Phones blah blah blah

:P The money that they lose can be made up from their other products, liscences all that jazz.
Yes but if they're losing money in this field and making money in the others, why not just stick to what they make a profit in? They'd be a richer company that way.
Ghoster Poster
  • I have a Twitter if you're into that kinda thing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 09:49:22 pm »

Yes but if they're losing money in this field and making money in the others, why not just stick to what they make a profit in? They'd be a richer company that way.

Because if they knock out the competition then they can start working on ways to make huge profits.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 11:21:03 pm »
  • *whistle*
But Sony is three generations in, Microsoft is two, and neither of them have turned a profit the whole time, while, to use the cliché, the DS has been printing money for Nintendo. They don't look likely to burn Nintendo out of the market soon, it'd be better if they either gave up or changed their strategy. :/

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 01:18:30 am »
But Sony is three generations in, Microsoft is two, and neither of them have turned a profit the whole time, while, to use the cliché, the DS has been printing money for Nintendo. They don't look likely to burn Nintendo out of the market soon, it'd be better if they either gave up or changed their strategy. :/

Releasing 5 different versions of the PS3, announcing more PSN features, and more games isn't "changing strategy"?

..Really?

Your fanboyism is showing.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 01:25:36 am »
  • :3

Releasing 5 different versions of the PS3, announcing more PSN features, and more games isn't "changing strategy"?

..Really?

Clearly yours is, since you exclusively supported Sony there. Releasing 5 different versions of the same console isn't changing strategy at all. They did the same thing with the PS2. And announcing more PSN features and games is simply furthering their current strategy.
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 01:26:52 am »

..Really?

Clearly yours is, since you exclusively supported Sony there. Releasing 5 different versions of the same console isn't changing strategy at all. They did the same thing with the PS2. And announcing more PSN features is simply furthering their current strategy.

Supporting sony by suggesting the obvious of what was being shown by their business practices? You're !@#$% delusional.

And yes, releasing different versions are a big strategy. If they release a lower priced console, they can increase sales. God damn, get some common sense.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 01:29:12 am »

..Really?

Clearly yours is, since you exclusively supported Sony there. Releasing 5 different versions of the same console isn't changing strategy at all. They did the same thing with the PS2. And announcing more PSN features is simply furthering their current strategy.

Supporting sony by suggesting the obvious of what was being shown by their business practices? You're !@#$% delusional.
I was referring to your points. They only argued against the point that Sony should drop out, not Microsoft, and you know fanboys will do anything to prove their favourite console superior.
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 01:41:53 am »

..Really?

I was referring to your points. They only argued against the point that Sony should drop out, not Microsoft, and you know fanboys will do anything to prove their favourite console superior.

But Sony is three generations in, Microsoft is two, and neither of them have turned a profit the whole time

They (referring to sony and ms, the subject) don't look likely to burn Nintendo out of the market soon, it'd be better if they either gave up or changed their strategy.

learn to read.

Also, read my other point:
And yes, releasing different versions are a big strategy. If they release a lower priced console, they can increase sales. God damn, get some common sense.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 01:52:42 am »
Wait, what? How did I not see the rest of your first post? I swear delusional was the last word in that.

But Sony is three generations in, Microsoft is two, and neither of them have turned a profit the whole time

They (referring to sony and ms, the subject) don't look likely to burn Nintendo out of the market soon, it'd be better if they either gave up or changed their strategy.

Lol that's not even your own post.
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 01:55:00 am »
Wait, what? How did I not see the rest of your first post? I swear delusional was the last word in that.

Duh, I was italicising it to show you subject-pronoun agreement. The subject was sony and microsoft.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 02:13:18 am »

Duh, I was italicising it to show you subject-pronoun agreement. The subject was sony and microsoft.
So you weren't implying there that you personally were not backing up Microsoft but only Sony? And quoting Mammy proved nothing...
Gannon-banned brother.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 02:36:53 am »

So you weren't implying there that you personally were not backing up Microsoft but only Sony? And quoting Mammy proved nothing...

I wasn't supporting any company, I was merely pointing out a flaw in Pyru's argument. Sony and MS have changed their strategies, several times in fact. And I also quoted pyru's post to show you that he wasn't just talking about sony, but Microsoft as well. I didn't quote mammy in this topic at all.

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:20 am »
Woops, my bad.

I was talking about you when I said your fanboyism's showing, though. Really, all I meant to say was you came across as somewhat fanboy-ish when your post only included content relating to Sony, which was ironic since you just called Pyru a fanboy. Why did you quote Pyru anyway? He had nothing to do with what I said, other than I was talking about your direct response to said post.
Gannon-banned brother.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 73 queries.

anything