Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Where In The World is Carmen Spamiago?  (Read 30686 times)

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Where In The World is Carmen Spamiago?
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2008, 04:43:51 pm »
  • b e p i s
Oh fun another pointless exercise to force people to post in places they don't want to

good luck with that

just another way to strip the fun out of this site

The idea is not to "strip the fun" out of ZFGC; it's to make the fun perhaps a bit more constructive.

That being said, I do not approve of removing Spam. I say leave it. People don't change for you, and our memberbase isn't going to change because of what the staff might want to do with the site. What we have to do is try and show the community "Hey, we can do interesting stuff here." That's why I shot down Regulus in that post, because I feel like anyone that tries to stand in the way of us building a stronger community needs to leave. Scooternew calls it hypocrisy, I call it a just desert. (in b4 JUST DESSERT?! LIKE ICE CREAM!?)

I do, however, believe the focus needs to be taken off of Spam and refocused on development. The problem with that is convincing the userbase we're serious without alienating them. That's why I started ZFGC Weekly; I feel it's a cool way to bring the community together and show them what's going on here without being all Fascist about it. Perhaps if we lead by example, you guys will follow.

I've got a vision of what ZFGC can be, and I think most people here share it with me: as an online haven for developers, artists, writers, and anyone who loves the creative spirit, in addition to just a cool place to chill on the web.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2008, 04:54:17 pm »
You guys take this board way too seriously.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2008, 04:56:54 pm »
  • b e p i s
You guys take this board way too seriously.

No, we really don't, at least not me. I'm only trying to help out a bit. I know LOL SERIOUS BUSINESS, but if you ask me this isn't me getting butthurt over stupid !@#$%, this is me honestly trying to improve something because I think it's a good idea.

Look, what I'm saying is that I'm actually okay with ZFGC the way it is. I think it's fun here. But if we do go somewhere else, I have an idea of what I think is the best place to go.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:00:10 pm by Dantz »
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 05:05:10 pm »
Ha, Infini, I take pride in that I was able to deduce your actions without having privy eyes to what they were; in regard to the waiting for reactions and how the board itself may not have actually been deleted.  Of course my mind ran the gambit on other possibilities, but near the end of my thinking, it was more in line with what yours was.  

Anyway, to be honest, my position over Spam has changed over months and months.  I like it now because it can be segregated to the users that still want it, and these users still tend to post in other areas nicely; there are a few exceptions, but they are only a few.  I used to say that Spam should only exist on ZFGC if the development part of ZFGC was also in similar strength because diversion without purpose is near meaningless.  I feel that people want too much of what we had in the past without any attempts to work for it and that team projects and a separated advanced coding section are the some good ways to enhance that development; even if it would only be a little bit of an improvement, it would still be in the right direction and the small increment past the status quo would at least be of good quality in its own right.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2008, 06:06:37 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
Whether anybody likes it or not, this is a message board. There is no obligation to post in developement boards, or develop anything. This isnt a job, this is the reminence of a once pround Zelda Fangame Community.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2008, 06:17:13 pm »
  • b e p i s
Whether anybody likes it or not, this is a message board. There is no obligation to post in developement boards, or develop anything. This isnt a job, this is the reminence of a once pround Zelda Fangame Community.

Of course there's no "obligation" to post in certain boards. There's a difference between forcing members to post certain places (which obviously is not possible) and trying to encourage growth in certain boards so that members flock there on their own.

Also, saying that this place is the remnant of a "once proud Zelda Fangame Community" is really against what we're trying to do here, and it's not appreciated.

Giverny

Christ on Acid
« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:05 pm »
  • Bitte Scheiße
But its true. When I came here back in 06, the developement boards were filled with people. Now only a few projects remain, and most will probably fail anyways. The only efforts left that matter are ZFGSDK, my ZeldaDSEngine(dont ask about this) and some other engine projects. Untill then, the majority of ZFGC is stuck with nothing.
THEGivernyPROJECT
~LynkW-Surrender Global
  • Surrender Global Forums
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2008, 06:55:37 pm »
It is amusing though when you think about it.  How many times has this been tried, the idea of encouraging growth in other areas?  The Spam board had a fee of entry, limited entry, and did not fully distract from the other boards as users in Spam posted elsewhere as well.  To the staff who have to look at the board, it is going to look like a void simply because it has more activity.  It is deceiving to find its effects so significant went a large number of users could not even have looked into the board.  The activity of the Spam board was strictly based on the lack of thought, the other boards in themselves are inherently slow to post in due to intelligence.  It was only popular amongst those who knew it because it was a quicker community feeling. 

New users due to all of the existing limitations on the Spam board had no real chance of getting access to see it, and a lot of Spam members were those who would not commit to fan games or development anyway.  By this means, it was for the most part controlled.  There are other forums that do have Spam boards although the are arguably less stupid.  I would suggest merging Spam with Forum Games and having some set rules in Spam to account for violations that may be happening with the global community rules.  Why merge it with Forum Games?  Well I peppered in this preposition because this will not be read and because it would dull some of the idiocy of Spam as well as getting something like Forum Games into an area in which it would not have to be seen.

In terms of development though, it is really simple.  If you want to be a voice of change, you have to embody that change.  If you want development to get better, you have to get better.  I am trying to get better.  Meh.

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »
  • b e p i s
It is amusing though when you think about it.  How many times has this been tried, the idea of encouraging growth in other areas?  The Spam board had a fee of entry, limited entry, and did not fully distract from the other boards as users in Spam posted elsewhere as well.  To the staff who have to look at the board, it is going to look like a void simply because it has more activity.  It is deceiving to find its effects so significant went a large number of users could not even have looked into the board.  The activity of the Spam board was strictly based on the lack of thought, the other boards in themselves are inherently slow to post in due to intelligence.  It was only popular amongst those who knew it because it was a quicker community feeling. 

New users due to all of the existing limitations on the Spam board had no real chance of getting access to see it, and a lot of Spam members were those who would not commit to fan games or development anyway.  By this means, it was for the most part controlled.  There are other forums that do have Spam boards although the are arguably less stupid.  I would suggest merging Spam with Forum Games and having some set rules in Spam to account for violations that may be happening with the global community rules.  Why merge it with Forum Games?  Well I peppered in this preposition because this will not be read and because it would dull some of the idiocy of Spam as well as getting something like Forum Games into an area in which it would not have to be seen.

In terms of development though, it is really simple.  If you want to be a voice of change, you have to embody that change.  If you want development to get better, you have to get better.  I am trying to get better.  Meh.

I think the merging of Forum Games with Spam is a decent idea, actually; sort of a more relaxed conversation area where obvious joke topics or ATTN: user topics could be posted such as in Spam.

That being said, I still think the layout was fine as it was.
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2008, 07:14:41 pm »
  • Taste the soup of my brain!
I think the merging of Forum Games with Spam is a decent idea, actually; sort of a more relaxed conversation area where obvious joke topics or ATTN: user topics could be posted such as in Spam.

Sort of like a ' real world "hangin' out" ' conversation board?  A place where your post could contain an obvious joke such as "OMG ur a gurl! gtfo!" (i didn't say a *funny* one) for the sole purpose of joking around?

Because not all conversations in real life are constructive.
She'll pull out your feathers for her brand new hat and when she's done that she'll feed you to her cat.
People you love will turn their backs on you.  You'll lose your hair, your teeth. Your knife will fall of its sheath, but you still don't like to leave until the end of the movie.
If I threw my guitar out the window, so far down, would I start to regret it?  Or would I smile and watch it slowly fall?

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2008, 07:27:12 pm »
It is amusing though when you think about it.  How many times has this been tried, the idea of encouraging growth in other areas?  The Spam board had a fee of entry, limited entry, and did not fully distract from the other boards as users in Spam posted elsewhere as well.  To the staff who have to look at the board, it is going to look like a void simply because it has more activity.  It is deceiving to find its effects so significant went a large number of users could not even have looked into the board.  The activity of the Spam board was strictly based on the lack of thought, the other boards in themselves are inherently slow to post in due to intelligence.  It was only popular amongst those who knew it because it was a quicker community feeling. 

No way. Don't merge the boards, just make it a child board of spam.

I was rather happy with my original idea of having the spam board be just an open topicality board where people could post without being modded.  it would have been better if you guys didn't just slap spam on it for the name when the board first started out. When the board first started it actually had good topics (even mammy initially agreed), but CERTAIN PEOPLE saw spam in the name and decided that posting redundant 4chan things was ok. I didn't mind people posting random topics like what Sharon just said a few posts ago, because stuff like that is entertaining. The only thing I don't care for is random sticky topics and stupid redundant posts that actually are just pure spam.

TLDR: bring back that original idea I discussed with mammy when I first told him to make that board

Dantztron 3030

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2008, 07:44:18 pm »
  • b e p i s
It is amusing though when you think about it.  How many times has this been tried, the idea of encouraging growth in other areas?  The Spam board had a fee of entry, limited entry, and did not fully distract from the other boards as users in Spam posted elsewhere as well.  To the staff who have to look at the board, it is going to look like a void simply because it has more activity.  It is deceiving to find its effects so significant went a large number of users could not even have looked into the board.  The activity of the Spam board was strictly based on the lack of thought, the other boards in themselves are inherently slow to post in due to intelligence.  It was only popular amongst those who knew it because it was a quicker community feeling. 

I was rather happy with my original idea of having the spam board be just an open topicality board where people could post without being modded.  it would have been better if you guys didn't just slap spam on it for the name when the board first started out. When the board first started it actually had good topics (even mammy initially agreed), but CERTAIN PEOPLE saw spam in the name and decided that posting redundant 4chan things was ok. I didn't mind people posting random topics like what Sharon just said a few posts ago, because stuff like that is entertaining. The only thing I don't care for is random sticky topics and stupid redundant posts that actually are just pure spam.

TLDR: bring back that original idea I discussed with mammy when I first told him to make that board

Actually, I strongly approve of this idea.
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »
Not that this is going to sound like it makes much sense, but having a board like that, if moderators wanted to post in it as well, their presence alone might be interpreted as moderation.  A board cannot truly exist without moderation as if a user in that board feels wronged and they report that they have been wronged, then it has to at least be looked at.  Not that every situation would devolve that far, but progressively the board itself would go in the direction where anything goes, all the time.  It is hard to judge legitimate content based on opinion as well; what is acceptable for some is not acceptable for all. 

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2008, 07:53:39 pm »
Not that this is going to sound like it makes much sense, but having a board like that, if moderators wanted to post in it as well, their presence alone might be interpreted as moderation.  A board cannot truly exist without moderation as if a user in that board feels wronged and they report that they have been wronged, then it has to at least be looked at.  Not that every situation would devolve that far, but progressively the board itself would go in the direction where anything goes, all the time.  It is hard to judge legitimate content based on opinion as well; what is acceptable for some is not acceptable for all. 

Not really. if you look at some of the social boards on gamefaqs like CE, they will have topics about anything and everything. Their rules are quite open, and only modded when it's obvious spam. It works quite well there.
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »
Other forums also have Spam boards that are not as degenerate as the one here must have been to pend its "removal".  It does not work to simply list outside examples as there are many including counterexamples.  Gamefaqs Current Events board has the same description as the Other Discussion board here.  It is good to look elsewhere for ideas of what to do, but direct transposition to this place does not really apply so perfectly.
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »
  • *whistle*
It kind of annoys me that everyone assumes Spam is supposed to be funny. It's Spam; it can be anything. Like right now I want to make make a topic that says "ATTN: Mammy; Stop calling me your daughter! I want to !@#$% you!". =\  It's not supposed to be funny; it's just something I want to say that probably wouldn't be acceptable in any other section of this site.  >_>  <_<
If its not funny, and has no point, is totally useless, what the f--- is the point in posting it here?

Spam doesn't need a point... It's an acronym for "Stupid, Pointless, Annoying messages." lol

Backronyms are stupid.

Spam is compressed ham. Reference to Monty Python sketch ahoy.

At any rate, the board is stupid, has little point. There are places on the internet to be a DICK, and they have more bandwidth than this site. As has been said, go to fuckin' /b/ if you want to be retarded.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2008, 08:15:56 pm »
It kind of annoys me that everyone assumes Spam is supposed to be funny. It's Spam; it can be anything. Like right now I want to make make a topic that says "ATTN: Mammy; Stop calling me your daughter! I want to !@#$% you!". =\  It's not supposed to be funny; it's just something I want to say that probably wouldn't be acceptable in any other section of this site.  >_>  <_<
If its not funny, and has no point, is totally useless, what the f--- is the point in posting it here?

Spam doesn't need a point... It's an acronym for "Stupid, Pointless, Annoying messages." lol

Backronyms are stupid.

Spam is compressed ham. Reference to Monty Python sketch ahoy.

At any rate, the board is stupid, has little point. There are places on the internet to be a DICK, and they have more bandwidth than this site. As has been said, go to fuckin' /b/ if you want to be retarded.

Way to generalize, man
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2008, 10:20:34 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.

I would quite agree. I think the things that don't belong in Spam are "Over 9000!" and stuff. I think lolcats are funny if they make sense, but random pictures are not funny. Make it like Other Discussion, but primarily for joking around. As long as we limit the amount of topics made(as a community, not by deletion or something like that) and keep it relatively light hearted, but not stupid, then I think it would be okay.

There are certain things in ZFGC we mention, like "lol Sharon is a gurl" and "lol, Source is manly" that don't amount to anything, but god are they entertaining. If I had access to the Spam board right now, I would try and find a few topics that are okay, and the ones that aren't...but I can't...*cough*
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2008, 10:26:34 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
We need to do exactly what Swiftu said.

The big problem we have with spam, is just really stupid things getting posted. For example, I'm not going to say any name but we'll be talking about one thing in spam, say a joke about Source or something, then someone will come in and go "LOL I DUN KNO HOW TO WEAR APNTS IN A BANA PIEE LOLLLOL" which will be totally unrelated and stupid and would pretty much ruin the topic/joke. Another problem is just an overuse of jokes, and yes, even I'm guilty of this. I'm guilty of a lot of things, including posting stupid things.

Yes, it is spam, but come on, the stupidity level on some things I see are just through the roof.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2008, 10:30:52 pm »
You are trying to remove the stupidity from something that exudes stupidity, it is not really practical on the moderation's end to ensure that it is kept clean as that draws in their time.  If that were to work you would have to have set a local moderator of the Spam board and have him or her set as a "group moderator" that can promote or demote anyone in the group.  This would be a means of letting those out who are not agreeable and people could still probably enter into the usergroup through means of a Spam Key or whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 78 queries.