Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing Spam  (Read 8155 times)

Tet

Accessing Spam
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:55:45 pm »
  • I believe. I believe in ghosts.
I agree that the concept of "no spam until you contribute" is great, the way we're going about it isn't. The 5 credits deal encourages people to just rip a bunch of sprite sheets (because there aren't huge libraries of those already) to get into spam. Then, someone slaves over an original game, submits it, and doesn't receive this same bonus. Why not, if someone submits one original game, music set, or graphic package, then they'll get spam access. Sounds much better than the current setup to me  ;)
n__n
Re: Accessing Spam
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:11:52 pm »
It kind of fails on the level that some of those who have access got it by submitting a resource that was ripped by someone else, a resource that does not contain much at all, or a game that is not even theirs.  Those who take their contributions seriously are probably not too keen on being in Spam anyway, and the boards use seems to be mostly an Administrator Playground.

I think that the standards for submitting a resource should possibly be increased, and the 30 day limit should be removed.  If just 5 people submitted enough for 5 credits that are their own and are of good quality, then that is 25 contributions to ZFGC which is more than enough to be considered valuable.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:55 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Hmm... I think the major issue with accessing spam is that people are submitting other people's resources. That's not fair to the users that make those resources should they happen to join.

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:59:23 am »
Sorry, but it seems a little stupid to force people to upload things just to see and post in spam. It just seems like a cry to get actual resources on the website.

This. It's an awful idea, like I said before.

qft
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 04:41:34 am »
The worst part of this, is that many people ( who might not be the best rippers ) might just submit stuff in bad quality just to enter spam.

EDIT: hmm I just went over the resource part, and I must say that it is working something I would change is that we could fuse certain stuff, like if I submit MC enemies and someone else submit different enemies why not fusing them? or atleast to seek by categories or ratings or most downloded. It can be by Tiles, NPCs, Backgrounds and Miscellaneous.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:45:36 am by Kren »
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:46:26 am »
The worst part of this, is that many people ( who might not be the best rippers ) might just submit stuff in bad quality just to enter spam.
Well, if any of my stuff is considered bad quality, just let me know and I will remove it.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:04:02 am »

EDIT: hmm I just went over the resource part, and I must say that it is working something I would change is that we could fuse certain stuff, like if I submit MC enemies and someone else submit different enemies why not fusing them? or atleast to seek by categories or ratings or most downloded. It can be by Tiles, NPCs, Backgrounds and Miscellaneous.

Well, merging things is problematic in that one submitter may have different self-standards and it might not work out, lol.  I also have my resources as all animated and optimized and people may not want to do that, settling rather on a sheet.  Each one of my submissions has a file with multiple parts.  Perhaps if I was making more enemies I could just change the title on a previous resource and included another download file though.  I think that is what you meant and would be good. 

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 03:34:40 pm »
  • b e p i s
I don't really like it either, but I support the administration's idea of trying to regulate it somehow, even if it's not exactly what I would have done (read: we have good intentions.)

I think we should implement some sort of required posts elsewhere on the forum, combined with moderator approval.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 07:41:55 pm »
I don't really like it either, but I support the administration's idea of trying to regulate it somehow, even if it's not exactly what I would have done (read: we have good intentions.)
I like how you refer to the administration in the third person like your not part of it >_>

Anyway to be fair, your lucky you have it at all. Most people were for not bringing it back at all. At least this way you have a it, and it requires productivity to access.

As for uploading other peoples / crap resources, we will just delete them and they will loose their credits. Not hard.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 07:52:17 pm »
Technically his verb tenses are messed up and he is probably referring to past actions as I think the decision of what to do happened before he was an administrator.

I don't like seeing resources from Spriters Resource on here even if the sprite there said that no credit was needed.  It is still disingenuous and wasteful to have the same resource in two places, to be rewarded for such a practice here, and the convenience it gives is really negated in that the Spriters Resource is the better place to go to do to its variety. 
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:15:35 am »
I know i'm in the minority on this, but honestly this is a pretty stupid idea. Also, i took 5 games from the scrapped sections and submitted them to get spam access. If you want to delete them and remove my credits it's your choice.

You guys are acting like being able to go into a forum and post "safdsfqeeafdfs" is some kind of reward. Sorry but being able to post a spam topic isn't really a reward at all. Like i said in the other topic, this just seems like a cry for help because the site needs resources.

No one is going to go through the trouble of ripping music, sprites, or making games, music, or sprites just to get access to a forum that allows them to post gibberish.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:22:44 am »
hmmm there is another solution we haven't tried, maybe get a different reward? or be able to choose from different rewards? for example it could be ability to change your name at 2 resources? and at 6 you can change someone elsse name, like a shop but you get points by submiting resources...

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:50 am »
I know i'm in the minority on this, but honestly this is a pretty stupid idea. Also, i took 5 games from the scrapped sections and submitted them to get spam access. If you want to delete them and remove my credits it's your choice.

You guys are acting like being able to go into a forum and post "safdsfqeeafdfs" is some kind of reward. Sorry but being able to post a spam topic isn't really a reward at all. Like i said in the other topic, this just seems like a cry for help because the site needs resources.

No one is going to go through the trouble of ripping music, sprites, or making games, music, or sprites just to get access to a forum that allows them to post gibberish.

I'm just going to keep quoting your posts until the staff actually replies to our arguments instead of skipping over them.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 06:15:34 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...

I'm just going to keep quoting your posts until the staff actually replies to our arguments instead of skipping over them.

Although I believe that the Resources section is a great way to centralize everything from games to music and stuff, I agree with you, Swiftu. See, I'm a helper!

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 06:54:29 pm »
  • b e p i s

What do you mean, skipping? Look, I tried responding to them with my opinion on the issue, but I'm not the only admin here, and we all try to come to solutions that help everyone and form a conclusion that all the administrators approve of. If you ask me, it's a win-win situation: people get the Spam forum that they just want so darn badly, and the site gets extra resources for everyone to use. It's not a "reward," really; how on earth could you call Spam a reward?

You guys are blowing this way out of proportion.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 07:07:54 pm »
He has a very good point there. Spam isn't a reward. In this case, it's more of a privilege, I suppose. Is that rught?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 07:15:40 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
He has a very good point there. Spam isn't a reward. In this case, it's more of a privilege, I suppose. Is that rught?

Why do you come into a topic then just agree with every point?
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 07:16:45 pm »
  • D-D-D-DRILL!
Zidane makes a valid point. You shouldn't come into topics just to say "I agree with this user"
LESS TALK, MORE SPAHK.

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 07:25:56 pm »
Wow. I really get a lot of crap here. Wow. The reason? Because I do agree with every user well a good chunk of the users anyways). Is that unheard of or something?

• Mirby Studios
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 07:43:49 pm »
It's probably because a lot of the staff give off the impression that if you have a different opinion than what they have then you are wrong for thinking that way.  Not saying that this happens all the time, but when users here criticize parts of something that most users do not care to notice, even if their intention is to make it better, their comments are seen as being negative. 

The resource system is alright in concept, but the standards could be improved so that what is submitted to it would be useful to users and not just cheap credit to get to the Spam board.  It is an unrealistic goal to try and get those not into game development to submit five resources every month; it only becomes realistic when those resources are not their own or the resources are rushed to a point of being useless. 

I think that if the month time-period of activation were to be lifted, that no adverse effects would be felt on this forum and having individual users only need to submit five good resources to be in Spam indefinitely would be a more practical approach.  As I said previously, having only a few users submit five resources each multiplies and the effect would be greater than people realize.  However, the way it is now, there are going to be people who just give up or do not try because the effort to gain access defeats itself every month. 

And really, the Spam board itself no longer appears on the Recent Posts list so it isn't like it would be that distracting, and if it became apparent that the board was getting overly used, the credit amount to get in could be slightly incremented so that the over activity that could be occurring would dissipate and people would find it easy to submit just one more good resource.

Either that, or decreasing the credit number per month and keeping the time limit would work better.  Decreasing the number would be easier and would probably have the same effect.  The goal should be more oriented towards getting quality resources rather than a lot of resources and the goal should also be less about constricting the Spam forum and more about getting good resources easier.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:55:14 pm by 4Sword »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 73 queries.